Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm apologizing, in advance, for my selfishness...

Posted by banana_fanna (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 9:22

I really want to see dumbcluck's 1963 pool restoration come to fruition because what a cool, unique project for this forum to watch.

Can anyone weigh in on his (her?) questions in the link? I'm no help, LOL, and I don't want to see him (her) go away due to the thread's inactivity for my own selfish reasons - I want to see how it works out.

Recycling stuff is good for the planet and that it's being done with a pool that's been filled in for 20 years is exciting to me. I know - I need a life. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dumbcluck's 1963 pool resurrection

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm apologizing, in advance, for my selfishness...

Banana Fanna,
It is an interesting project. Kind of like taking a condemned house down to the studs and rebuilding it.
Filling the drain holes in the bottom is easy and can be done when they gunite the spa. Should also consider putting a gunite bench in the deep end.
Well, lets look at cost estimates:
Plumbing/electric............$3-4000
Equipment including pump, filter, heater, pool/spa controller, light, cleaner, misc. maintenance equipment......$6000
Steel/gunite including dowelling for existing gunite .....$4500
Replaster......$7500
Decking.......$5000
If they did the dirt removal themselves, then they may be willing to put some sweat equity into the deck by using pavers to save money on labor.
It will be interesting to see the finished product and I wish them the best. Knowing the current codes in their area will be important for equipment location and fencing requirements.

o

Just noticed date! They should be done by now!

o

golfgeek! Thanks for replying. He just got his green light from the building department.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here