Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murrywoods

Putting pool in BEFORE house is built

murrywoods
10 years ago

We are looking at needing to put the pool in first. There will not be enough room on either sideof house for equipment to get into back. And we back up to a pond. Pool is small 12x23 (Leisure Pool)
After is is completley finished they are going to cover with ply wood. Pool guy said it would need to be shocked once a week. Expect the house to go up quick, 2-3 months. My question is has installed a pool this way? Do you see any major concerns?
Thanks,

Comments (7)

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

Sounds good to me!
    You should be able to start on the house as soon as the dig is done. The only really "big equipment" that needed lots of room was the bobcat and scooper thing for the dig. We have 9' between the side of our house and the fence and that was no problem.
    The shotcrete and pebble finish were both done with long hoses from the street.

If the pool is "completely" finished, then I don't understand why it would need to be shocked every week, unless that's something they do every week anyway (our neighbor's pool service did that and it sucked because that was one day a week that you couldn't swim...another reason we went with salt). The pool equipment should be able to take care of the pool.

Or maybe it won't be really completely finished - the equipment won't be hooked up?

Here is a link that might be useful: digging my pool

• huskyridor
    10 years ago

I do this often at our local lake due to the small lot sizes.
    We excavate, reinforce, and gunite and let it sit during the homes construction. 6 to 8 weeks out from the final closing we come back and finish the balance of the pool..
    I wouldn't recomend completion prior to the homes construction.
    Just my .02

See ya,
    Kelly

• murrywoods
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the last thing I wanted to do was put the pool in first. Orginaly pool guy was going to dig the hole, dump his sand etc and come back after house was built and put the pool in. It is fiberglass. Pool guy is considered that with all the rain (South Carolina) the hole will be compromised. He says he needs 12 feet to get to the back. It is just going to be to close for me to feel comfortable not putting in before. He is not going to install the filter or pump until after (right c9pilot no power), just plum for everything, that is why he said it would needed to be stocked.
    Kelly, what are the concerns I should be worried about putting pool in prior
    Thanks,

• murrywoods
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the last thing I wanted to do was put the pool in first. Orginaly pool guy was going to dig the hole, dump his sand etc and come back after house was built and put the pool in. It is fiberglass. Pool guy is considered that with all the rain (South Carolina) the hole will be compromised. He says he needs 12 feet to get to the back. It is just going to be to close for me to feel comfortable not putting in before. He is not going to install the filter or pump until after (right c9pilot no power), just plum for everything, that is why he said it would needed to be stocked.
    Kelly, what are the concerns I should be worried about putting pool in prior
    Thanks,

• womanowned
    10 years ago

You shouldn't need to completely finish the pool just because of tight access. When I build like this, the pool is built to the gunite and perhaps tile and coping phase. The rest of the pool does not require a lot of access. I don't recommend finishing completely for several reasons. Once you plaster, you have to fill the pool with water. It is at that point that you need to be brushing your pool multiple times a day and carefully bring the water chemistry in balance. If you just cover it up, you risk ruining your plaster. You also have the liability of having an unmonitored pool in your backyard.

• nukequazar
    10 years ago

Jumping in here... This really doesn't make a lot of sense. Like an earlier post said, access for shotcrete and plaster is just a long hose, like a fire hose. And having just gone through a build, I would highly recommend against plaster before equipment. You want all plumbing, electrical, and equipment set and ready before plaster. Then the day the plaster is done, they need to fill the pool, and then the startup guy is going to want to visit at least once a day for a couple weeks. From what I understand, this is the most critical time for the life of your pool. Covering it and shocking it once a week sounds like a recipe for a replaster in just a few years.