Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rough Plaster

Posted by tonys_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 9:10

I noticed about 3 weeks ago that there was some plaster dust in my cleaner bag. There are also a few spots where the plaster is pitted. Nothing major yet. I ordered a Taylor test kit and checked for CH. I guess it�s really high since I never could get the water to turn blue. My TA is 100 and my PH is 7 which is a little low. I went ahead and drained about 75% of my water yesterday and refilled it to start over. If I get everything back in check will the plaster continue to be damaged? I can live with the way it is right now. It�s white so it�s not noticeable unless you are looking for it. I can to work hard to convince my wife I wasn�t crazy. She finally agreed there were a few rough spots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rough Plaster

I tested the water after running the pump for a few hours and my CH is at 360. The water from the tap is about 210 so I don't think I'll be able to bring it down much more.

o

Keep the alk a little low and the pH no more than 7.5 and that should keep the CSI near neutral to slightly negative. This will prevent scale formation. The rough spots, if the marcite is too thin can be lightly sanded with extra fine to fine wet/dry sand paper, assuming there aren't too many.

I assume you were using 3" tabs to chlorinate?

Scott

o

Yes I was using 3" pucks and powdered shock. I assume the shock is what brought the ch level back up. I'm thinking about draining half of the pool again this weekend. I have flagstone coping and have heard bad thing about swg with flagstone. I guess I'll try bleach. The rough spots are small and mainly on the edge of the seats. Is the white powder plaster? Will i have anymore damage if I keep my balance right?

o

just wear.Marcite plaster lasts 8 to 12 years.

Flagstone is a generic term. Some varieties are softer than others, The softer ones benefit from being sealed periodically.

Stick with 6% unscented bleach like Clorox for chlorine boosts. One big jug provides about the same amount of chlorine a 1 lb pouch of cal-hypo 68%, Actually its a little less but close enough.

Scott

o

Thanks for the help. I'll try to chlorox for a while and see how much trouble it is. The coping is OK flagstone. I've read that might be a little harder and can handle salt. I might try it with the bleach is a lot work.

o

OK Flag flakes pretty readily with or without salt. Seal it. It'll last longer.

Get a proper test kit. One which can test chlorine to 50 ppm, CH, TA, pH, and CYA. While 50 seems like a high number, if you're at 30 ppm CYA, shocking level might be 30 or 40 for chlorine.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here