Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wingosh

W's Cypress TX/NW Houston New Pool Build

wingosh
14 years ago

I donÂt usually participate in forums  usually just like to lurk. But this site has proven to be a valuable resource over the past few weeks. Thank you to all those who have posted before me!

ItÂs been 4 working days, 60+ lbs of ice, 3 cases of water and 6+ 12-packs of soda (trying to keep the guys happy in this scorching heat). Things are going well so far.

Here are the basic specs of my poolÂ

Free-form pool with spa

33.5 x21.5

Total area: 509

Depth 3.5 ft  6.5 ft

SWG with remote system

Pebble Sheen (to be decided this week)

Oklahoma Wister Flagstone coping and stacked stone weeping wall and spa spillover

Last Thursday, July 16, was excavating and rebar. Friday was gunite. Clean-up Saturday. Day off Sunday... Monday, July 20, the plumbers starting trenching by hand. It took all day PLUS part of Tuesday to get the plumbing done due to the hardness of the ground (no rain for months + disabled sprinkler system + "gumbo" for soil = trenching concrete).

hubby saying bye to tree that he grew from an ancorn

Comments (27)

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Looking good.

Did they do the entire dig with a BobCat?

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Looking good W! I was waiting for you to post---very interested in your build since we are using the same PB! Things for us here are moving right along---Pebble today/tomorrow!

Yes, the dig the entire thing with the bobcat....a bit of "by hand" around the edges, but mainly the bobcat!

So you are doing pebble sheen? Good choice! Let us know the color once you've decided.
    Looking forward to seeing your build! Congrats!!!
    Janet--fellow Cypressian

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey W, I just saw your post on my thread. I will reply here....CCP has been great, they have the best subs--hand's down.
    I have been fortunate to be here during the build process...I teach in Cy Fair (summer off). I have caught a few mistakes, minor, but things I noticed right off.
    The height of my wall was 6 inches too short, but the tile guys fixed no problem.
    I had to remind the decking guys to put in my 3 umbrella sleeves which I specified over and over on the plan....again, not a huge deal but if I wasn't here, it would have been overlooked.
    When they poured the decking, there were a few places that I had to tell them I wanted decking there. I showed the concrete guys the plans and they fixed it....done!!!
    Also, we had an exsisting patio behind the house about 10 X 12...just concrete that they were to cap with the pea gravel/exposed aggregate.....and the day of the pour, I asked them if it would be capped and he didn't know that was supposed to be done. I was a little shocked, but again I told him it was on our contract and BOOM, he had the forms around it and prepped the area with no problems at all.
    I guess all of these things were somewhat minor, but major to me, the homeowner who is paying for this, very picky and wants it done correctly. And they were, but with reminders.....
    My advice is to try to be around on those important days, like when they tile, form and pour the decking, pebble sheen day......decking is done in 2 days FYI!
    Not a lot of visits from the PB.
    If I've had question's or any problems, I've called the office and always spoke to someone and had them answered and taken care of. When in doubt, CALL!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Looking good. I like the shape and spa/ledge orientation. Wishing I had put my spa next to the ledge....too late now! :) Your choices sound really great, looking forward to watching your progress!

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

paradigmdawg -- Yes, they did 95% with the bobcat. The ground is soo dry here, b/c of lack of rain, that the bobcat almost stalled out several times. The curves were helped along by hand. It was really cool to watch!

janetlong -- I made my husband go measure the back wall twice due to your probs. He thinks I'm crazy! I'm a little disappointed that there's not more face time with PB. I think they should check in after each major stage, but that's just me.

They are doing the tile as we speak -- not so sure about it (shoutout jenno -- read your posts, feeling your pain! :-)) I'm sure it will be fine once it all comes together. Decision making is NOT my forte'! But, so far, so good...

Thanks for the moral support -- lord knows I need it right now!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

W--You are not crazy. I would check everything! It's better to find anything wrong now rather than later when it's too late to fix.
    I feel the same about the face time w/ the PB.
    What color tile, coping, decking are you doing?
    Where did you end up getting your tile at? Master, Noble??? I'd like to check it out online if you don't mind.
    I do guarantee CCP's tile guys are the BEST! They worked for 3 days here---13-14 hours each day....very meticulous..sp???...I mean VERY!
    WE got pebble today, super cool process!!!! I will post pics later.
    Hang in there---it will turn out great!!!

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

J -- I am a little crazy, but that's for another thread on another forum! :-) We got our tile at Master. It is VAL SAN PEA 6. I actually saw a different VAL SAN on a thread here (dallas area, can't think of the name)and really liked it. When they put the tile on yesterday, all I could see was peach tones and I was NOT happy. But, after they finished up, I started to warm up to it. I think once everything is on, it will look better. The coping and stacked stone wall and spa spillover, which should be done today, is mixed Oklahoma Wister. K said it would take a couple of days to do the stone work...The decking is pea gravel. They told me there was only one color choice??

We went to see Aqua Blue pebble sheen in a less formal pool yesterday and really liked it. We are definitely sticking with the PS since it's in our contract and we obviously choose it for a reason. I think all of the $$ is starting to get to us... In the grand scheme of things, a couple of $K's isn't going to make a huge difference now, but could down the line. So, now it's a decision btwn Blue Granite and Aqua Blue.

I need to make a decision on the wrought iron gate and driveway gate this morning, too. Decisions, decisions...Did you use Rose? What a hoot!
    Thanks for "listening"! ;-)

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey W---sound's like we would get along great!!! LOL!
    You are so welcome to come see our pool when it's full to see the Aqua Blue PS. That is what we got. I did love the Blue Granite and it's so similar to Aqua Blue----but we didn't want any gray at all in the water.....I honestly didn't care, but my hubby was set on Aqua Blue! You WILL NOT regret using the PSheen!!! Maybe the Blue Granite would be better with a less formal pool--that is what I've read on here and seen in photos....

We are just down 290, a hop, skip, jump away!
    Yes, Rose is doing our fence, but it's wood. She was here the other day---I liked her!
    Post some pics of your tile work so far.
    I don't mind listening at all, I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago! There are still things I'm stressing about, and we are almost done!

I will check back later.
    Janet

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Wingosh, please post more pics! Thanks for the shout out, that cracked me up. I think you and I are a LOT alike on this stuff. :) I know in the long run we're all going to have beautiful pools to enjoy....but man is this journey more painful that I ever expected. My deck is being poured as we speak, you're going to be amazed at how soon you'll be through. I just went and looked up your tile online, I REALLY like it!!!! I regret not going with a more neutral tile....instead I thought the Rainbow Bright route was a good idea. I really lost my mind sometime in the last couple of months it seems............................:)

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for the delay in posting pics (shout out jenno hope your vay cay was nice). It's rained every afternoon, so I couldn't get a good pic. They've been working on the stacked stone wall since Thursday morning and still have a little bit to go. They also completed the sides of the spa, but not the spill over. They delivered the flagstone for coping yesterday only to be stopped by me b/c it wasn't the color I had originally picked. WELL, 3 hours driving and 4 stone yards later, it was determined that that was the only multi blend available in large slabs right now. SO, I wasted an entire day and put the project one day behind. But, at least I can better accept the color knowing that this was the best right now. I have some making up to do for the poor guys who off-loaded the huge flagstone pieces, then put them back on the truck and are here off-loading them today...:-)If all goes well, they'll work today and Monday. Form for deck on Tues, pour Wed and pebble sheen Friday. That's 2 weeks + 1 day.

upclose tile at skimmer

close up tile and stacked stone wall. The edges of the wall will have larger boulders to cap the ends and serve as jump rocks

big pic of stone wall and flagstone sides of spa

posts for covered patio and wrought iron gate are in

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Wow, tile looks great!!! So do the skimmers. I was pleasantly surprised at the amazing tile job they did in the skimmers.
    Sorry to hear about your coping!!!
    OK I have to know what color Pebble Sheen did you decide on?
    We love the Aqua Blue, it looks so good and the chemicals aren't even balanced yet. We had the equip. started today and all the return fittings put in, skimmers cleaned, and all of our goodies brought to us...brush, vac hose, themometer, test kit, leaf rake, net.....etc.

I will be following your build....can't wait to see it done! 2 weeks, 1 day is incredible. Ours was 3 weeks to the day!!

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

JL -- still no decision made on PS. We've had rain every afternoon and the PB recommends seeing it in full sun. Hoping to be able to see today or tomorrow. I love the crisp blue of the Aqua, but think that maybe Granite looks better with our pool type. Will let you know right after we let CCP know! :-) Enjoy your pool!

I've been watching the coping today and WOW -- that's an art form! These guys are amazing!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey there....we had chemicals added today and the equipment started up and WOW, the blue really shines now--not green at all. It matches our tile so perfectly. Its a nice, bright, cool blue. You can come see my color if you want. Just tell Kirc or Brian I said it's OK!

Glad your coping is coming right along.....can't wait to see it all complete!
    Let me know what you thought of the Aqua vs. Granite!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Wing---I saw your post about the PS color.
    If you'd like to see my pool, you are more than welcome to anytime! We have been up and running for a few days now and the color is amazing. I also thought the Blue Granite was a bit darker with more grey. We had our heart set on the Aqua Blue from the start, so we went with it.

If you'd like to see my Aqua Blue and the work of CCP, let me know and I will give you my #. I will be around all this week. Looking forward to more pictures of your process!!!
    (i also posted some last nite under my thread, take a peek)

Janet

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The stone work is just about done -- minus the large boulder/jump rocks on the ends of the stack stone wall. They've been working on the coping and walls since last Thursday. These guys are truly artisans -- the detail is amazing!
    The guys are here this morning to set the forms for the concrete. Scheduled to pour tomorrow and pebble sheen on Friday!
    I think we've finally decided on Aqua Blue pebble Sheen. While it's not a "typical" choice for our style of pool, it was the right choice for us. I think. Today. Subject to change. :-)

Here are a few pics of the progress on the stone work..
    spa-far side

spa

spillover

Full Pic

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Looking good! Your stone work is incredible.
    You will not regret going with Aqua Blue...it'a all blue and looks good on any type of pool IMO!
    Blue Granite and AB are so similar that I think you'd love either choice!
    Try to watch them install the pebble sheen, it's such a cool process! You will be swimming soon! Can't wait to see your pool filled with water! I bet you are getting excited!
    Yes, we are loving our pool!!! Kids are wanting to swim 24/7.....

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's been 2 weeks and I've lost count of the number of sodas, waters and lbs. of ice served to various work crews! But, we've made some serious progress. The stone guys were here for 5 days working on the stone work and coping. And, as of today, the decking is finished. They were here from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and is looks awesome. Hopefully, a clean-up crew will be here bright and early in the morning in order to get ready for the Pebble Sheen application. We may or may not get pebbled tomorrow due to rain in the area today (back-up in the schedule). We ended up picking Aqua Blue and I'm hoping that we've made a good choice. I think it will look great -- I hope -- we'll see...:-) I just need it done so I can move on!

Here are a few pics of the progress made the last few days...

• brentr_gw
    14 years ago

Great pool. We too will be putting water in our pool next week Wednesday. Can't do this till we have our pool cage installed. I will be curious as to your instructions on the next 3-4 weeks and taking care of your pool. My PB says that he is not going to install SWG for another 3 weeks because he does not want chemicals in the pool while the finish cures. We are going with the Beach series St Tropez by Marbletite ,Pebble finish, lifetime warranty. We started a blog " Our New Pool Build in Jacksonville, FL" . Thanks

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Wow, looking great! Love the stone on your back wall...amazing job! Yes, those tile guys are nothing short of talented!
    Did you get pea gravel decking? Looks just like mine!
    You will love the Aqua Blue....I am in awe of my color every time I look at my pool!!!

Question: Is Rose doing your patio cover???
    Did you contract it with CCP or through the fence company??
    We want to put in a patio cover, but don't want to spend a lot....
    Can't wait to see more pictures!!!

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, yesterday it was Rain 1 Pebble Sheen 0. The guys hung out for a while then packed it up. Our PB called later to say they'd be back on Monday. WELL, bright and early (6:30 Sat. morning) they were here and ready to roll. I don't mind, just surprised to see them all! Right now they are getting rid of yesterday's rain water and re-prepping the pool, running their strings and starting to mix. How exciting! I'm now doing the "did I pick the right color, I should have paid extra for sparkle-y sea shells" thing...Too late now!

Thanks brentr! I, too, am interested in my instructions for the next few weeks. They seem to slightly differ across this board, so we'll see! P.S. I love your pavers!

Thanks jlong! Rose is not doing the cover, just the fencing. We are using Matt's Custom Decks. He's been around for a long time and did lots of folks we know in Copperfield and out here. He does lots of work with CCP so it was easy to coordinate. It is a separate contract. We also like Joel with Cornersone Carpentry. We were a little shocked about the $$ of the patio, but decided that we'd suck it up now so we could tie it all in. I think I'm just as excited about it as the pool itself!

I'll post pics later of the color! It won't be acid washed and filled till Monday...Can't wait!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Gosh this is a gorgeous pool. I adore the design/shape and the stone/tile. Aqua PT is going to be GREAT. Seriously, if you think Aqua is odd, you could be like the crazy lady on here who did mauve yesterday!!!!!!!! :) Post pics when you can!!!!!!!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Yay, can't wait to see your pool filling with H2O! I will sound like a broken record and say you will love the Aqua Blue PS! Glad you get to see the PS going in...cool process.
    Ours did have a tiny green tint until the chemicals were added and equip. turned on. After that, the great blue color came through and it was like, WoW !!

After your pool is full, call CCP and tell them and they will send out the "start up" guy from NW Pools. He will turn on equipment, get your chemicals in and do some basic stuff with you......he will also bring you a lot of goodies, be ready to brush the PS a lot!
    Then 3-5 days later you will have Pool School. You have to call and schedule it for a time that is best for you. The start up guy will give you a letter with names and numbers on it so you know who to call.
    It was a great 2 hours spent with "scott" from NW Pools. He was very imformative about everything. He answered all our questions about everything from balancing chemicals to sealing our travertine! He will bring you a packet of information as a guide to go by.
    Be ready to take a lot of notes....he will give you some names of chemicals to use and not to use and good places to buy things and when you need to buy name brand and when you can get by with a "generic" type.
    So for the first month, someone from NW Pools will take care of your pool, come out weekly and balance chemicals and then after 3 weeks, they will come back out to add all the salt. You do not have to buy any of the start up chemicals for the first month or the salt....they provide it.
    After that, I believe it's all yours!!!!
    We still have to wait about 1.5 weeks before we get our salt added....we are ready for it....I'm tired of the chlorine smell already!
    ALSO: Make sure you ask lots of questions to the Pool School guy. We forgot to ask him about 10 things we now are curious about. He said to call him anytime, so we will be doing that next week.

I dont know if this is true for all PB's, but since we are using the same PB, I can help you out Wingosh.....not sure about other's.

Thanks for the names of your carpenter. I may give them a call later this fall and get a bid.
    How big of a patio are you doing? We just need the structure, not the concrete.
    Hope this helps you!!!!
    Janet

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Just checking in...any progress to report? Pictures?

Can't wait to see your Aqua Blue. I'm sure you're enjoying the water about now....at least I hope!

Let us know how things are going.....and turned out!!!
    Janet

• wingosh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Between getting a child off to camp and the server being VERY slow, I haven't had a chance to update...

WE ARE FINISHED! 2 weeks and 4 days from dig to swim!Water started filling Monday afternoon and we were finished by noon Tues. The "pool guy" came by to start 'er up and added the first batch of chemicals and gave the basic tools -- brush and net. The rest of the stuff will be given to us after pool school. The water color looks MUCH better today and soo happy with the final out come. The patio and gates should be in by the beginning of next week along with a fresh coat of paint for the house and some MAJOR power washing of our hideous fence. Can't wait to show the final final pics!

LOTS of pictures to catch up...
    applying pebble sheen

fill

full

Check it out

Today -- One day later

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Wow! It looks stunning!!!!! I recognize that beautiful Aqua Blue PS---the before start up and after start up is exactly the color of mine! It looks great with your darker coping, tile and stacked rockwall. I think this color would look great with any style pool to be honest!!

We powerwashed our fence (the side that wasn't new) and it looks great now. Your yard looks good as well!! I bet your pool is nice and cool---ours is starting to get warm....92 degrees yesterday afternoon! Ack, bath water!
    2 weeks, 4 days is amazing! I bet you and your kids are loving your pool!!
    One thing I am so pleased with is the response time of CCP to fix any minor items that needed done. It's been wonderful, I call them and someone is here that same day or the next. Example: we had some rebar sticking out of our raised wall that needed cut off, some gunk on our coping that needs to be removed, raising and adding a few extra drains around the yard, leveling the yard for SOD.
    They will also come out in a week or 2 and take out the foam from between the deck and coping and install the deko-seal.
    So glad to see your pictures--they are awesome! Enjoy your Pool!!!!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Awesome. Wow, I love it. Love that incredible transformation of water color. Our stonescapes was done a week ago today and we STILL can't swim. :( It's sitting with acid in it......... I'm so jealous! Your pool turned out amazing, wish I could have yours instead.......

• JodieJ
    10 years ago

Your pool looks great! Do you remember the color and name of the stacked stone that you used, by chance? We are using wister flagstone and looking for something that goes with it and I think your stacked stone is the perfect match!