Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Gunite

Posted by boblium (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 8:10

We are in the Gunite process of our pool redo. Gunite was applied to a rebuilt section and the rebuild of the spa Friday. Builder did not tell us to water. It's about 100+ degrees. He watered once Saturday, on Tuesday we noticed plans said to water 2xDay. Today (Wednesday ) he plans to lay the tile. It's just 5 days since Gunite and little watering has been done. Question: How important is this? Are we going to have problems? Builder says the 2xDay is for just new pools - Is that correct? Are we going to have problems?

Thanks, Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Gunite

Any new gunite/shocrete application needs watering. Period. Check for and have ground and filled, any significant cracking that was the result of shrinkage.

It sounds like the PB forgot to tell you to do it over the long, holiday weekend.

Scott

o

Wow! Now I am concerned. We were never once told to do this. And we are supposed to get our Pebble Sheen on Monday. Should I be worried?

o

Unless the PB shot 7000 psi gunite, your PS is going to have to wait for the new to hydrate. It takes at least 27 days to hydrate to 90+% of its rated strength.

Scott

o

My husband just called our PB and he said that he used shotcrete and that it wouldn't require for us to water it. I don't know what to think now.

o

It still should have been watered but it's not a crucial point. What is crucial is how long before plastering and that is unchanged, 27 days.

Scott

o

We got shotcrete on June 2nd.

o

Its good then.

Scott

o

Thank you so much Scott!
And Bob I am sorry if I took over your thread. You had a good question that I had no idea about. That is why this site is such a great learning tool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here