Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool to go in sloped back yard

Posted by smuggs (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 6:56

We'll, I think we've decided that we're going with a pool. Now, we are trying to decide how to situate the pool as we have a sloped back yard. From the top of the yard, near the house, the yard generally slopes downward 5-6ft over the roughly 50ft area that would be where the pool + decking will be. So, my question is, should we consider having the top area where the spa and entrance to the pool area raised so that you enter the pool area at grade? (we'd then have a RBB at the shallow end of the pool and steps down (12-18", is my guess) somewhere along the side. On the one hand, this sounds nice because we'd get a decent from the spa, but it would face away from the house. Or, should we have the top area graded down so that we have to step down onto the pool deck from the back of the house? (we'd probably have to do a small retaining wall or simply landscape the slope and put in drainage pipe to prevent run off from flowing on to the deck and into the pool) I guess it may help to note that we will only be fencing the pool area as our backyard is too large to fence the whole thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool to go in sloped back yard

This is exactly the situation we had last year when we installed our pool. What we ended up doing was lowering the one end of the yard, putting in a retaining wall and steps, and it turned out great. The biggest thing to worry about is putting that pool on fill dirt, which is what would have to be done if you raised the far end. It may encourage cracking or floating, depending on what kind of pool you have. In any case, it probably isn't a good idea. Great luck, and take a look at our site. It has pics from beginning to end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackels' Pool 2006

o

I love slopes. They eliminate most of the competition for me and they allow me to make more money and do fancier things. You really don't have much to worry about in your case. Whatever you do as far as cut/fill goes, just make sure the entire pool structure is embedded into firm, native soil. That's not going to be difficult at all for a 10:1 slope.

o

We had a similar issue, our yard slanted diagonally, with the higher elevation towards the back of the yard. A couple of the salesmen discussed a retaining wall, but I wanted to go with a Raised Bond Beam to allow for a 'cannonball zone' in the deepend. I am very happy with my decision.

Have a great day,
Deron
(hope the pictures aren't too big, my first time posting pictures)

T-Squares comment (about elinating the competion) was interesting, since it may explain why over half the salesmen that came out to the house, I never heard from again. (Eight builders came out, only 3 gave me bids)

o

We had the same issue. The back side of our pool stuck out of the ground about four feet after the gunite went it. We had five trucks of crusher run and eighteen trucks of dirt brought in for the back side to be compacted and create a bank. We went out flat fifteen feet from the pool then created a slope that we have done plantings on to retain the bank. It disappears into the woods. The end result is nice, just looked a bit strange going in. Also, dirt costs more than you think, so just be sure you have a good excavator!

Kim

o

we had the same issue, although out slope was only 3'.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here