Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgregor_gw

Cincinnati Pool Build

sgregor
14 years ago

As a lurker, I've gained lots of info and ideas so I'm going to try to share my build. Some of the fun features are the beach entry, reverse negative edge, cave with gunite slide, bridge, and fire bowls. We will be using a River Rok finish (pebble beach for the beach entry and Blue Opal for the rest). The coping and decking will be a gold travertine.

Here is our yard before the madness. As you can see, I have my lounge chairs ready to go. Pool is outlined in orange paint.

Day 1 of digging

End of day 2 digging

Forming the pool

{{!gwi}}

Here comes the steel and plumbing:

Beginning of the cave/slide

Tile choice next to travertine coping:

That's all for now and I will post more as we progress. Coping will be started tomorrow!

Comments (67)

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hawkfive,

Thank you so much for posting the River Rok pictures. It would be great if SGM had these on their site.

It's interesting that the 2 Lucayan Blue pools look nothing alike. I'm hoping the 2 bags of onyx mixed in will get me where I want to be. Thanks again for your help!!

Sherry

• rick2752
    14 years ago

How about an update?

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rick2752,

Thanks for your interest! There hasn't been a whole lot of progress lately. We had a few re-do's with the tile and a few rain days as well.

Last week they poured the cave/slide for structure and will shoot it again Monday to carve and shape the rock. Here are some pics:

Here's a view from the top of the slide. What a mess!!

Also, they started on the stone wall for the negative edge.

Hopefully I will have more updates this week!
    Sherry

• fletch58
    14 years ago

Thats over 2000 sq ft, WOW. keep the pics coming, it will be up there for one of the nicest on this site

• fletch58
    14 years ago

Would you mind sharing total cost ? I would guess it has to be a buck fifty, easy , correct :)?

• jparkfire
    14 years ago

Amazing design. Not at all what I pictured from looking at the steel. I was expecting something like the other posting "Northern CA owner/build- 98.5% done with some pictures" Both awsome pools. Truly a kids paradise. You will be the neighborhood kid magnet.

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the next step with the slide-structure-thing is happening today. They are shooting it with cement and "carving" the rock. It's giving it a more realistic look. Plaster and painting will be the final step. I didn't realize that adding this feature would add another month on to the pool build!!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

This pool is going to be flat out amazing. Can't wait to see more progress!

• fletch58
    14 years ago

This pool is exactly what I stopped doing with houses which is looking at things I can't afford :)
    Before it's even done, I rank in top 3 or 4 of pools I have seen on this site and I am pretty sure I have seen every damn pool LOL.

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys! Hopefully it will live up to your expectations when it's complete!

I have some pictures from today's work. Got a little farther on the negative edge stone wall. I didn't love it at first, but it's growing on me.

They worked on the back of the rock structure and it looks more realistic. Can't wait till they paint it to match the stone in the yard.

Here's a shot of the disaster that is my yard right now!

Looks like we are soooo far away from swimming. Hope to get lots done next week! :)

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

I guess so, It seems that it will need a lot of working. I can't wait to see the photos of your updated construction. Thanks.

• hawkfive
    14 years ago

Update?

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Hawkfive,
    Not much to update, just still working on the same stuff. Rockwork, travertine decking, steps, and things like that. It's possible we may have to wait till spring to plaster, but not sure yet. Here are some photos:

Here's one of the fire bowls. It will get filled with lava rock and there's one on each side of the neg. edge wall.

Still waiting for all the concrete to get painted. Getting tired of the all the grey!

Work on the pool house will start next week. UGGhh. Will this ever be finished??

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Hello,

I'm so excited to see it finished. We'll just wait to be posted here. Thanks.

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a couple more photos. The steps to the slide are almost finished. Any ideas for a railing?

Lots of pipes. Where is my equipment?? Maybe next week.

All of the equipment will be hidden behind the pool house, which hopefully will get started this week.

That's all for now!
    Sherry

• lala2874
    14 years ago

Do a search for this thread...
    Finished pool/spa/waterfall/grotto/slide

They have a really cool handrail on their waterfall/slide.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Yes this is a fantastic pool, I am sure you will be satisfied! How nice for you!

what are the neighbors saying?? Are they giving you issues at all??

• sgregor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lala2874, that is a unique railing. Gives me some ideas.

Peytonroad, my neighbors are great, but I'm sure everyone is ready for it to be over. So far there are no issues and we've promised to get everyone's yards back together as soon as it's finished. Of course, they have also been offered free access to swim, so that helps! :)

• Niki Friedman
    14 years ago

Amazing- can't wait to see more!!!

• fairfieldcircle
    13 years ago

Hi, Sherry,

I just came across your posts and pics here and I am fascinated by the progress on your pool build.

But, alas! I haven't found pics of your finished project and I would love to know how it turned out, if the family is enjoying the pool this summer, and if you have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks for any follow-up! Judy

• sgregor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi FairfieldCircle,

Thanks for your post. I had tons of pictures and lots of information, but somehow, 60+ posts disappeared. Not sure what happened.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. If you have any questions, just ask. It was a long, long process, but so worth it in the end. We opened the pool on April 1st and have been swimming everyday since!

{{!gwi}}

• jasonlmarsh
    13 years ago

WOW! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

• bmcqueen
    13 years ago

OMG!

• huskyridor
    13 years ago

WAY TO GO GIRL!!!

I think the first thing I posted on this thread was just how AWESOME this pool would be.

It's truly breathtaking how beautiful it all turned out.
    I'm hoping that your man came to his senses and got a little more cooperative with you back then, this is the kind of unit that you really need to be able to show and have it generate referrals from the homeowner and his neighbors.

CONGRATS!!!!!

See ya,
    Kelly

• gaylek
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!

• cnr1089
    13 years ago

Your pool is amazing! We are just finishing up our pool and need to decide on our River Rok color soon.

sgregor: I love the color of your water in some pictures, but in others, it looks dark (as in, hard to see in to). I can't tell if that is just the angle of the picture, or if in certain lighting it just looks like that.

Can you confirm if seeing to the bottom is an issue? If you were to change things, would you have stuck with Blue Opal rather then go to Baha Sand? Argh, decisions, decisions!

• sgregor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi cnr1089! I had the hardest time picking colors. In the end, I told my project manager that I had narrowed it down to Blue Opal or Baha Sand. I told him to surprise me. I knew what I wanted, but was too scared to pull the trigger. Like you, I worried the Baha Sand would be too dark. I'm so glad he chose the Baha Sand. In the sun it is the most beautiful color of blue. In the shade it is very dark, but you can always see to the bottom.

I think the angle of the pictures makes it look more "lake" like than it is in person.

We don't have the Baha Sand in our shallow end, but we do have it in our wading pool. The steps are very pretty, as is the shallow water. Here's a picture:

In the picture below, if you look closely you can see the drains in the 8 foot deep end.

Here are some other pics to give you an idea of the different shades depending on the sky:

{{!gwi}}

In this one, you can see how you would be able to see their feet:

Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any questions or need more photos. You probably can't go wrong with either one, though!

Sherry

• sgregor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry!! Just realized some of those pictures were repeats!!

• nylsor107
    13 years ago

Hi Sherry,
    your poolscape is beyond beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us here on the Forum. I have a quick question for you. How do you like your wicker chaise lounges? I am trying to decide between all-weather wicker and "sling" chaises. Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Take good care,

Roz

• sgregor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Roz!

Thanks for your nice comments. The Chaise lounges were the first things I purchased, even before digging! They are great. I have cusions on mine, but they are pretty comfortable without, also. I bought them from Frontgate and luckily there is an outlet about 30 minutes from my home so I got a good deal. In the catalog they are the Barcelona Chaise.

Have a great day!
    Sherry

• pooldreamer2010
    13 years ago

Hi Sherry - your pool is amazing. I just hope mine will be as nice. I want to thank you for posting all the pictures, it really helped alot of people on this site who were deciding between different river rok colors. I too need to pick the color fairly soon. Its been so hard since theres very little pools out there with the baha sand river rock. I actually called river rock and spoke to Allan and he emailed me a few pics. 1 of which was your pool, how funny. My hubby and I are at odds with the color since I want black and he wants hawaii blue. I think the compromise is the baha sand! From your pics it looks amazing but do you see green at all? Do you have any additional pics of the pool you could share? Thanks again for all your posts...

• sgregor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pooldreamer2010,

I went out and took a few extra pictures for you. I tried to get some different angles as well as some in full sun and in the shade.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Hope this helps!!!
    Sherry

• sgregor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's one more. Everyone asks if you can see to the bottom, and this one shows even in the shade, you can.

• cnr1089
    13 years ago

Ok, you sold me! Baha Sand it is! Pictures look great. I was in the same boat as Pooldreamer2010 and I this makes my decision much easier!

• pooldreamer2010
    13 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! The pictures are perfect, i love the color, SOLD, ha.

• nypoolnovice
    13 years ago

Sherry - I am so envious that you have a Frontgate Outlet near your home, I love their products. I ordered the Dynasty Chaise loungers and want more, but think they sold out.

The pool is incredible, but I really love all of your landscaping, the varying colors of green in the trees etc are stunning. Enjoy!

• nylsor107
    13 years ago

Hi Sherry-
    many thanks for the info on the pool lounges. I have been to the Frontgate/Ballard Designs Outlet complex. I will have to plan another road trip from Michigan:) When are you planning to close for the season?

Take good care,

Roz

• bawdo_aol_com
    12 years ago

Good luck getting a winter cover on that easily. We used natural limestone for waterfalls, right up to the pool edge, and now want to redo with a setback. My wife and I struggle every fall, and are getting to where we can not do it anymore... cables, chains, swimming under the cover... Will be calling shehan for ideas!.. Your pool looks great!

• womanowned
    11 years ago

What an incredible pool! How has the wood bridge held up over the years?

• sgregor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Womanowned! The bridge required way too much maintenance and we removed it after the second season. It really opened up the area once it was gone. It was fun while it lasted, but we're happier without it. :)
    Sherry

• wkrp
    10 years ago

Nice job. I am in Cincinnati and in the process of putting in a pool. Who did your deck and have the pavers held up without becoming uneven?
    Thanks for posting.

• Dan Price
    10 years ago

Sherry,

Thanks for your willingness to share your experience with your pool. It's a beautiful pool! Just curious, because I too have a Shehan pool built in 2009. Other than having to remove the wooden bridge, have you had any other issues, such as cracking, leaking, or earth movement regarding your pool?

Thanks for your help!

• User
    9 years ago

If you are going to bump and feature this "spectacular' home remodel with their pool and pics, would you kindly make sure it's in full working condition with the pics that were deleted years ago?

I dragged my DH over to watch a slideshow of my potential dreams and it consisted of deleted old pictures from years ago that had nothing to do with the OP but with you gardenweb. Thanks for wasting my time and building up the excitement with my DH of yet another "oh so exciting" gardenweb flop....I should have known better.

• keithw
    9 years ago

By posting your comment you are actually responsible for bumping this posting back to the top of the list. Thanks for wasting all of our time.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

The pics where delete by sgregor who possibly moved from Photobucket to another photo sharing program. (nothing to do with GW) I assume that as soon as GW is aware of the lack of photos
    that they will not use it as a "highlight".

keithw~ WOW ...I guess that's 5 seconds of your life you'll never get back....

• sgregor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry about the photos. I haven't been on in a while and just noticed Photobucket is holding my photos hostage unless I pay for extra bandwidth, which I 'm not interested in doing. If there is another way to share photos, someone let me know and I will. Thanks!!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

You can post directly from your computer, however only one per follow-up post.

• xtremeski2001
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is rude, but would you mind sharing the cost? My wife and I love your pool!

• Feather3_z9
    9 years ago

this is incredible!

I am pushed by sheer desperation to know: How much did this run you in the Cincinnati area? I am going to venture a guess that where I live it would cost almost three times as much....

sooo beautiful..... would love to build one of my own on my land out here... and know how many wild critters it would attract... and that doesn't bother me :)

• ashik
    9 years ago

wondering what you used as your surround. We have bluestone which needs to be replaced. Heard stampcrete is slippery.