Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coping, Bond Beam, and Concrete Deck question

Posted by willow66 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 0:20

We are about to order coping for our pool. We want limestone in a larger than standard size, approximately 16 x 36" x 2 1/4 pieces. The pool is rectangular.We are going to have a poured concrete deck. The bond beam is 8 to 10 inches thick. My question is if the coping is 16 inches deep and set on the 8 inch bond beam, and it is not supposed to be in contact with the deck, what is under the part of the coping that is not sitting on the bond beam? I understand there will be an expansion joint but there still needs to be something to support the extra 8 inches of coping? PLease help me understand! PB says concrete deck can go under the coping to tie into it, ;but that doesn't sound right to me. ANy THoughts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coping, Bond Beam, and Concrete Deck question

Then what's the point of an expansion joint. Decks are meant to move freely from the coping. If you have expansive soil the deck will move up when the soil expands and pop your coping off the pool. Have your builder set the coping on some concrete.that way you can have a expansion joint that works.

o
RE: Coping, Bond Beam, and Concrete Deck question

In regards to Pools94 comment, the builder should pour a small concrete ledge below the coping at least 6" - 8" deep and then to the copings edge.
A band of rebar (tied to pools rebar) should also be considered as it will strengthen this ledge.
Install the coping and then set up and pour the deck to this point, thus the expansion joint will then work properly.
I have had to do this on many jobs even when the coping is 12" deep . . . on account of the gunite beam not being true to form. Saves cracking deck / coping problems later.
Depending on your contract and material choices you may end up paying for this added work but it is well worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here