Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_kuh

First time pool owner

brian_kuh
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I've been reading these great forums for a long time and wanted some advice. I only just got a pool installed and have all the chlorine stored in my garage.
My daughter is always pulling open the metal on the garage and going in and playing with the tools.
Today she has gotten into more of the garage stuff and emptied some of the car grease and break fluid and some windscreen foam into all of the chlorine I have stored here and its messed all onto her clothes making a big stain on her jumpsuit.
Does anyone know if it is possible to clean off any of this from her clothes and hands. I dont think she has ingested any of them however.
I have a pool gate and fence installed.

Thanks
Brian

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    9 years ago

Don't store chlorine in your garage. It will corrode everything that's metal in there.

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Pools94 I've moved the chlorine now I didn't know about it corroding things.
    I found that it was corroding some of the clothes that it got onto they started to smoke and my daughters skin was beginning to blister a little. This is exactly why I put this stuff in the shed to begin with to keep their hands off it.
    I've swept up all the spilt brake fluid, put the soiled clothes and other stuff all in a pile in the garage until I can clean it up tomorrow.
    I wasn't really told to keep this so secure from my garage to be honest so I'm quite irritated at the pool&spa people. Does anyone here have a best practice guide for storing these items?
    Thanks Brian

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Google for "How to handle pool chemicals" and start reading. You narrowly missed losing your child and maybe your house. As you have found out, that stuff's dangerous.

The jumpsuit is totally trashed ... and probably everything else is. If you can't rinse it clean with plain water, toss it into a heavy duty trash bag and take it to the city's hazardous waste collection.

Keep an eye on your daughter for a few days, and if she has breathing problems take her to the doc and let them know it was chlorine exposure. Also, treat the blisters like you would any burn ... I'm assuming you rinsed her off fast with lots of fresh water. Keep it clean and covered with a light, dry bandage. If it gets inflamed, get medical care.

If you have small children, SERIOUSLY consider a pool service to maintain chemical balance so you don't have to keep the chemicals around. If you cant do that, buy a plastic storage shed and a good lock and keep them in there, away from anything else.

NOTE: Dry chlorine will burst explosively into flames if it comes into contact with many things. Brake fluid, motor oil, ... a bunch of things make fabulous bombs with dry chlorine as the other half.

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you lazygardens for the input.

I've checked on my daughter and she is ok. Her hands have become small mangoes, I'm hoping that when they ripen they'll be a pleasant food for everyone in my family.

Regarding my garage I've now decided to convert this into a night club. I've cleaned up all of the chemicals and now me and all the boys are getting right into the doot doots. To be honest this is the most googs I've ever eaten at once and I'm struggling to see the screen through the wobbling. No crap man these are pretty good pingers. Are you guys having a great night? I'm having a choice night hey this music is pretty awesome and everything just feels pretty right here. Great night man great tunes.

Tomorrow my plan is to remove the water from the pool and turn it into a skate bowl. I am interested in getting some ideas for stencils that I can spray onto the bowl to add some character because I'm not really interested in having graffiti 'tags' put willy nilly all over the concrete. If anyone has any ideas where I could get some templates like what banksy uses that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah wow this is a bit more full on than it was before I need to chill out

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

man great tunes but ok a bit much right now do any of u have a werthers original or lip balm cheers

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah they were red mitsubishis they said they were doubles but im not sure if theres anything else in them wow

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

does anyone need a water i got 3 just in case

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

have any of u guys gone to the toilet that was a bit much in there heaps better being out here with you hey

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yep ok yep nah im alright nah serious

• brian_kuh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fck man that was pretty choice a bit full on tho hey

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer