Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travis_turner_gw

Started New Pool - North of Houston

travis_turner
14 years ago

Starting new pool today. The guys came to the house and drew it out. All is good. At some point when I'm not so exhausted, I will post some specs. But, in general:

32x18

3'5' to 6'

Jandy Equipment

Weeping Wall

10'x7' spa w/ 8 jets

Pebble Tec (deciding on color this weekend)

I'll post some pics if someone will tell me how to do that. I consider myself a tech savvy guy, but I'm stumped. Maybe too many beers? :0)

Comments (53)

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gunite completed. Started at 6:30 a.m., done by noon.

• spa_doctor
    14 years ago

Looks good:) Post up the finished pic love to see how it turns out.

• mcdaisymom
    14 years ago

Hi -- if you don't mind answering....what price range are you paying for your pool? We are in College Station and considering a pool and I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure. What type of decking are you using?

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mcdaisymom...We are going with the the exposed aggregate (approx. 650 sq ft) finish with some flagstone inlays. As far as price range, we are in the neighborhood of $45K, give or take a few $$. Some other specs:

2 1/2 hp 2 speed Jandy pump
    Jandy CL 580 cartridge filter
    Jandy PDA
    Color Changing Lights
    Aquapure 1400 SWCG
    Decided on Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec
    Polaris 280 cleaner

What am I forgetting?

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plumbing and equipment today....

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Looks Good,
    I have two questions on the equipment set.
    One I dont see a check valve between the chlorine feeder, and, salt chlorinator, or heater. The PH from the tabs will burn up both of those without protection.
    Second, they plumbed the chlorine feeder into the top. That generally makes it work to good eroding the tabs way to fast.

• tsunami
    14 years ago

Neat plumbing work!

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I think it looks pretty clean myself.

Just-a-pb: I'll be honest...I don't have a clue about those things you mentioned.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Travis got my standard pool/spa equipment set. No check valve between the cell and high feed on the 320's tube. In SE Texas 4 tab's with high feed for pool start-up will keep a pool sparkling until we introduce salt in 4 to 5 weeks. The equipment has always done fine with this method.

See ya,
    Kelly

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Kelly,
    Makes sense,
    What you dont like floaters for the first month?

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stone and tile....

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

quote" What you dont like floaters for the first month? "quote

In our area we've got pretty dog-gone warm water.
    A floaty doesn't cut the mustard even when stuffed full of tablets. It just cant put even chlorine distribution into all the surface areas water. A 320 with the feed line up high will erode the tabs rather quickly and make great distribution all around the pool. Since I only use an erosion chlorinator on the first month I trust the check valve in it's base to check backflow of the highly chlorinated water in the cylinder.

I feel kind of bad about Travis's pool. He and several of the other new pools have been on a wicked pace with all this good hot weather we've been enjoying. I've only been to his job 3 or 4 times since we started and have been running equipment and supplies from one jobsite to another or operating my excavators at my digs. I've seen more progress on this thread than I have seen in person at his home. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to get out there to paint his decks on the ground again, we kind of destroyed our lines with the front end work. All in all I cant bellyache, last Thursday he had a regular backyard and after today he's ready for concrete decks.
    Everybody in our area has been complaining about the recent drought, I've found it AWESOME. Normally, this time of year, we see lots of afternoon rains and it costs me time on my job descriptions.

See ya,
    Kelly

• loves2read
    14 years ago

the look of the rock around the side of the pool looks very organic and makes me think of Sedona...
    what pool color/finish is going in?

does this plan have planter beds behind the rocks (where the irrigation pipes are?)

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

loves2read....The rock is a medium Oklahoma flagstone. We are having Tahoe Blue PT installed. Kelly took us to one of his previous customer's pools, and we loved it. Oddly enough, I did not really like the color the first time we saw it. However, the second time we went to the home, my wife and I knew almost immediately this was the color for us. As far as planters go, we will be backfilling with soil behind the weeping wall and sloping the dirt away from the pool. I will more than likely be lining it with some rock along the back edge. We'll see what's left in the budget.. :0)

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Do you mind me asking who is your pool builder?
    We are just beginning the process as well.....hope to see more pictures of yours as the process continues.

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janet,

Atlantis Pools and Spas out of Magnolia. If you look further up this thread, my builder has posted a couple of messages. Kelly Simpson is his name, aka "huskyridor". Just search this forum for huskyridor, and you can read lots of posts he has written on various topics. I actually came in contact with Kelly through this forum. Kelly was at the house today re-drawing the decking in preparation for the decking crew that will hopefully be here tomorrow to build the forms. If everything works out, I will have some more pics to post by tomorrow evening.

Travis

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and I also found his company by searching the Better Business Bureau. No complaints in 8 years with them, although he has been building pools much longer. I'm a little afraid of giving him too many props for fear of being labeled a 'spammer'. :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB Link

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Decking today....

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Day 1 of Pebble Tec today....

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Wow, I love that STAR in your pool. Neat idea!
    What kind of decking did you go with? Pea gravel/aggregate?
    If so, is it the "rainbow" or "river rock" color? It looks great regardless!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Travis or Huskyridor: when they install the equipment (pumps, filter...) do they include the concrete pad? I never thought to ask about this. Thanks!!!

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janet: The star was something we saw on another one of Kelly's pools. My wife loved it, so there you have it. :0) As far as the exposed aggregate decking, I don't really know which one it is. Just know we like it. Maybe Kelly will stop by and answer that one. And yes, the equipment pad is included. It is actually gunite as well. Thanks for the kind words...

• janetlong
    14 years ago

I do love that star....a little touch of texas in your pool. We got some Texas shaped pavers to put in the decking when its poured.
    Is your pea gravel/aggregate deck darker with the browns in it? The lighter colored is the "rainbow"....it has more grey, whites, tans...but not too much brown. That is the one we want---lighter. Just wondering. What are you going to put in the spaces left on the deck where they didn't pour?

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janet,

Based on your description, I would probably say it was the "rainbow" version. Those recessed areas are for flagstone inlays in the patio and sidewalk. Another idea we came across while looking at one of Kelly's pools.

Travis

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janet,

Forgot to mention that it's not that they didn't pour concrete there, its that they recessed the concrete in that particular area. They actually just dug a little deeper under the recessed areas so that I still have 4" of concrete under the flagstone.

Travis

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Very cool idea--Flagstone and Travertine are my fav. stones around a pool! Are you in the Woodlands? I guess they will be filling your pool soon. Wish we were at that stage....I'm having to move gas and electric lines out of the middle of my yard first.
    Keep the photos coming...I would love to see the fill and your water color. We can't decide on Blue Granite PS or Aqua Blue PS.

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Your pool looks awesome! I love the pool finish and your flagstone is really pretty. The star and flagstone inlays in the deck are nice! I've enjoyed watching your thread, keep the pics and updates coming!

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Day 2 of Pebble Tec...acid wash and then filling.

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pool was running when I came home from work...

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Travis, your pool looks AWESOME indeed.
    Thanks for the wonderful compliments on the service we provide.
    You were really BLESSED with some incredibly good weather during the process. I've done the same things on all my jobs forever. Scheduling and finishing promptly is a process which involves a little luck. I can go through the exact same motions on 2 different pools and have one turn in less than 3 weeks and another go 6-8 weeks. The difference is almost always weather oriented. With a Monday rain I'm usually not able to move to my next step until Thursday. The single day of rain cost me the 2 days afterwords.
    I'm sorry I haven't been to your jobsite more often during the latter parts of the construction.
    Michael and I are fixing to get out on our crotch rockets and run some light service jobs this afternoon, one of them is the pool owner in Elkins Lake. I'll breeze by your place to look at the pool full of water and circulating.

See ya,
    Kelly

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Water is clearing up and we are really happy with the Tahoe Blue PT. Next step is landscaping and a fence.

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Still looking,
    Didnt find any Sarcastic A's here.

• domingos35
    14 years ago

very nice pool.
    congrats

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks....I'll have to post some more pics. Got in the pool today and it had gotten even more blue overnight. Weird. Water is now crystal clear. Now just looking forward to getting our back yard in order. Shouldn't be too much longer.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Travis--pool looks amazing.....you have a nice, big yard. Looks so natural with all your trees. That star sets it off nicely. Thanks for the directions to post photos. Will try tomorrow. Please post more pics....anxious to see more.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

quote" Didnt find any Sarcastic A's here. "quote

What are sarcastic A's???

See ya,
    Kelly

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL....don't get him started. I've already made that mistake once. These pics are from this afternoon.

We could not be happier with the Tahoe Blue. Also, the deck received the acid was today. Looks great.

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooops..acid WASH. It's Monday. :0)

• nosabe
    14 years ago

Great-looking pool. Is the flagstone coping rough against the legs when you sit on the side or rough on little hands holding on to it? Did you seal the flagstone? Any concern of corrosion with saltwater?

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nosabe: I haven't really noticed the flagstone being rough when you sit on the side, but I really haven't done a whole lot of that. The wife hasn't complained about it, so I'm assuming she hasn't noticed that either. The first day or so after getting in the pool, the tips of my 6 year old's fingers were pretty red. I attributed it to her holding on to the side so much. But it's been a couple of weeks now and she hasn't had that trouble since the one time. I did not seal the flagstone. I asked about it, but my builder actually didn't feel it was needed. At this point I'm not really concerned about the saltwater system. I've done a lot of reading on this message board and others, and there appears to be no real consensus on the topic. There are strong opinions on both sides. I guess we'll just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I do however love the look of the flagstone coping/inlays, and I love to walk on it (after the sun goes down, as it as just as hot has the concrete decking...ouch).

• womanowned
    14 years ago

I would seal it if I were you!

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fence was finished this week. Still have quite a ways to go, as I am the cabana boy/pool guy/landscaper/....you get the picture.

That pile of what used to be a tree is gone as soon as this burn ban is lifted.

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Travis, looks GREAT. I just love your pool. And WHAT an amazing view out there. NICE.

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jenno,

Thanks. We love living in the country where we have a little space (we sit on one acre), and don't have all of the wooden privacy fences between every home. And we love our neighbors. But I am looking forward to some more plantings to give us a little more privacy when we're in the pool. :0)

Travis

• partypond
    14 years ago

LOVE the star!!! Did your masons cut it themselves or did you order it??

The pool looks wonderful - congrats

• gardenerswife
    13 years ago

We've been admiring this pool as we build our own this summer. I'd love to know if the star on the top step is actual flagstone or a pool tile that looks like flagstone? Will real stone hold up ok?

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's real stone. I guess only time will tell how well it holds up. We also have stone along the back wall that is partially submerged in water. It's my understanding that it's not the submerged stone that have the problems. It's more of the coping than anything. Here's an updated pic...

• brg88tx
    12 years ago

travis, i like the look of your peagravel with flagstone. was your peagravel color rainbow or riverblend? thanks.

• travis_turner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Rainbow I think...

• Cypress3
    11 years ago

Travis, I love your pool and I am considering a similar pool. Is there anything you wish you had done differently or are you pleased with your pool just the way it is?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?