Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cloudy Water

Posted by samisweets (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 22:00

We have an Intex 16'x42" metal frame pool. Due to an inappropriate sized winter cover our pool was a mess this spring. My husband completely drained it, scrubbed it and even shop vaced the waste. It has since been refilled. We have an old Muskin sand filter and pump running on the pool. The water was beginning to cloud up and my DH shocked the pool. Ever since the water has remained cloudy, the bottom can be seen, but it isn't clear. We have a simple drop test kit and the chlorine level is still above the capable limit of the test kit and the pH is reading in the "ideal" area. My dad seems to think it is our Muskin filter causing the problem or he suggested putting baking soda in to clear the water. Problem is that I'm worried about dumping more powders into the pool if our filter isn't working properly. The filter was completely taken apart before installation and cleaned. The distributor/diffuser looked fine. Could there be a problem in the valve area causing the water to not circulate correctly? Is there a way to diagnose this?

What other water qualities should we be testing for? Seems we had more success running the crappy little paper filter that came with the pool, but due to there being several trees near by we were always cleaning like crazy so we opted for a sand filter.

I'm ready to take the whole darn thing down.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cloudy Water

Posting your chem levels are really helpful.
Requested:

Pool:

pH, Alk level, free and total chlorine, hardness, stabilizer, metals

Fill Water:

pH, Alk, metals and hardness.

Usually, something is going on in chemically in the pool. The levels requested may offer clues.

Other potentials and not in any particular order: contaminated or dirty sand, inadequate pump run time, organic matter, equipment failure.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here