Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjpools

To Stabilize or NOT

mjpools
14 years ago

Do those of you who have SW pools add stabilizer in the summer?

Also what time of day do you run your filter pump. I have been running mine at night but have been told that it is best to run it during the day to prevent chlorine burn off.

Thanks for the feedback?

Comments (9)

• piscespool
    14 years ago

I have a SWG (Pentair IC-40), and I keep my CYA level (stabilizer) at 70-80 ppm. Pentair recommends 50-75 ppm, also. I have a good test kit and this is one of the tests. I run my pumps and SWG at night when the cost of electricity is lower, and there's no UV. The stabilizer helps keep the sunlight from burning off all the chlorine during the day. This has worked very well for me, and when the stabilizer amount drops (evaporation and addition of water, splashout, etc) I noticeably lose chlorine faster unti l can raise the CYA level again.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    14 years ago

I use stablizer as well (also Pentair IC-40) I discovered my pool guy had NOT kept stabilizer in the pool and my pool Ph was ALWAYS high - now I'm able to maintain a much better chemistry. I run my pump during the day so it circulates when I want to swim and when the solar heat runs. troublefreepool.com is a GREAT site to learn about and discuss pool chemistry!

• mikethepoolguy
    14 years ago

Not maintaining CYA level may void the cell warranty. (this is also based on the customers attitude)

• teppy
    14 years ago

definitely! i would not consider not having it. i always kept my CYA at around 50ppm when i had chlorine. now, i just converted to salt water and i raised it to 80ppm.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Please remember my friends that raising your stabilizer level also means you must raise your free chlorine levels also for it to be an effective sanitizer. I don't like seeing it above 50 except in the desert southwest and in the deep south during the summer.

Scott

• teppy
    14 years ago

i'm going by the recommendations given to me by the guys at troublefreepool.com. it seems that SWG need higher CYA levels than chlorine. You are absolutely right about CYA levels corresponding with FC levels. I keep a very close eye on my pool and used the BBB method for over a year. i just got the SWG a few weeks ago and love it. pouring in the clorox every afternoon got old after a year. i just find it amazing how this thing makes chlorine. I love it! i still do my testing just about every day still, i guess maybe still kind of in disbelief that i don't need to add the bleach anymore. its staying at around 7ppm. i am turning it down a little at a time until i get it at around 5ppm. thats what i want it at. heres the link to the pool calculator that i used religiously. i have it on my iphone too. it has never lead me wrong. my pool is sparkly, not just clean and algae free. and, i do not shock my pool, EVER.

Here is a link that might be useful: poolcalculator

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

Swg's do not need higher CYA levels. Typically chlorine production from a SWG can be pretty low, so they have you tie up all the chlorine with CYA so that you can maintain a good level.

The truth is, if you are trying to maintain a chlorine level of 5 in a pool with 75ppm of CYA, your pool has much less oxidizing potential than a pool with 1ppm chlorine @ 0 CYA.

Below is some good info on CYA, and how it effects ORP. When it comes to disinfecting ORP is everything.

I suggest sub 50PPM CYA levels on all pools. 1-3 PPM is more than sufficient to maintain orp levels above 750mV

Here is a link that might be useful: http://acsp.biz/page.php?62

• teppy
    14 years ago

racket,
    i read your link. i will post it at TFP and ask about it. all i know is that i have been following the advice of those guys there since i got my pool and i have not had a minutes trouble. i was completely in the dark as far as how i was going to maintain my pool when it was built. i am including a link that tells why they recommend the higher cya level for a swg pool. the only thing that no one can help me with is the darn bugs in my pool. they are killing me! it has been very dry here and i know that has a lot to with my pool being infested every morning even though i get them all out every day.

Here is a link that might be useful: water balance for SWG