Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All tile pool?

Posted by back_yard_lap_pool (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 21:05

From the London 2012 Olympic pool...180,000 tiles for floors and walls of pool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/8458946/London-2012-Olympics-final-tile-laid-at-Aquatics-Centre-to-mark-500-days-to-go-to-Paralympics.html

In a rectangular residential pool, does anyone ever do full tile pools instead of plaster / pebbletec / etc?

What would the installation cost comparison be for a 6x6 solid color tile instead of pebbletec on a geometric pool (IE: no curves)?

Would you have to form up the walls for poured concrete to get them straight enough to apply tiles (like in this Olympic Pool), or could it actually be sprayed w/ gunite and shape into flat enough surfaces for tile to look decent?

How much more maintenance and upkeep would tiles be vs. pebbletec?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All tile pool?

back yard lap pool,
Cost is generally the prohibiting factor. The few I've done were plastered prior to tiling. The shell needs to be water proof before tiling at minimum. You also need a good uniform gunite job as well.
Maintenance should be about the same.
I wouldn't use vertical walls with square corners. It looks better and will be easier to care for with standard pool wall slopes.
Cost......priceless.

o

no more upkeep really.
Cost should be at LEAST 5-7x more than pebble if done right. DO NOT look for the low bidder here and DO see jobs they have done that are least 3 years old and speak with the clients who used that tradesmen.

Majority of the all tile pools I have done have all been squared corners with vertical walls. It is a much more geometric/contemporary look, but I disagree with golfgeek and think all of the splices needed in radius corners and "bowls" look pretty sightly. I prefer no splices and like flat tiled panels to make up an all tile vessel. just my .02

o

I've attached a few pictures of an all tile rectangular that I am working on currently. In my experience, 3" x 3" is about maximum size for doing curves. For an outdoor pool, I recommend that you do not have 90 degree inside corners. Dirt and debris will want to sit in the corners making it difficult to clean. We ended up with some sharp inside corners on this project because of the small stairs the PB made. I would normally chose to cove the stairs as well.

Best of luck with your project,
bobby

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here