Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orthochk

Gunite pool builder in Monmouth & Ocean County

orthochk
11 years ago

Any recommendations for a gunite pool builder in the Jersey shore area. We have gotten estimates from $50,000 - 150,000. Hard to find reviews on-line for some of the smaller companies.

Comments (74)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

360s don't have a booster pump. They tend to be slower. 280s are gear and friction driven while the 360 isn't.

It takes almost two 1.5" pipes to match the flow of a 2" pipe at the same speed.

Returns should be at least given a partial 2" loop to feed 1.5" pipe. This ensures the returns have flow at the same speed, or nearly so.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    Another question for you, is there an advantage to a variable speed pump with a pool this size? I've been told that in order to pass enough water through the filter that the pump would always be running at close to 2 hp and negate the energy efficiency of the variable speed. Is this true?
    Thanks, Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

With head losses from plumbing, 2" pipe will move about 90 to 100 gallons per minute (GPM) Lets use 100 gpm for simplicity. 100 gpm x 60 minutes and hour x 8 hour filter cycle = 48000 gallons of water that the pump has moved. That/s a pretty good sized pool! My pool, an 18,5' x 39' Grecian, is about 25,000 gallons.

Power around here is pretty cheap when compared to places like Southern California where it's $0.34/kwhour during the peak hours when it needs to run.

A one and a half or two horse power two speed may make more sense. They can use less energy than a one horse single speed and are a significantly less expensive than the variable speed pumps available.

Scott

• topfiftybuilder
    11 years ago

Thanks Scott, its easy to hide behind a keyboard... the reason Burned doesn't want to say who they are is that I will be able to state the facts and their story will blow away like dust. I have a 99% idea who it is... they live on a postage stamp size lot in North Jersey that needed a variance to build on... its my fault of course. They didn't want to listen to my advice numerous times and halted construction because of indecision ... once again... my fault. So Burned last chance ... if you have an issue say what the issue was other than the BS you spew.... or keep to yourself ... I'd be glad to talk about any issues in person or on the phone....

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    There is also going to be a 4 foot sheer descent working off the pump. Still think a 2 speed 2HP pump is the way to go?

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Laura, no problems in flow as long the return plumbing can be valved. Note that frequent use of the sheer will cause your alkalinity to drop and the pH to rise. Expecting it is a lot better than being surprised. A little baking soda takes care of that.

While more expensive, a lighted sheer is a lot prettier and gets used more at night. As an example, when turned on into a color lit pool, the red glow of the sheer looks awesome.

Scott

• burned
    11 years ago

Scott (poolguy) - I think its a great thing that you do for folks on this forum. I too have learned from your many posts and appreciate the time you take to help others. I am however, surprised that you are "extremely offended" by my statements. I do not question Mr. Payne's knowledge and understanding but his morals and conscience. I disagree with your statements "anyone dealing with Mr. Payne would do well", this is not true. The words and accounts I have provided though high level, have been the truth and only Mr. Payne and I know this. For you to take the side of one or the other without knowing the facts is irresponsible.

Scott (top filthy builder) - Folks on this forum need to recognize that you had an opportunity during the build to address and correct Blue Haven mistakes (not customer mistakes) and that you and Blue Haven chose to lie and either not address them in a timely manor or not at all. During the build you and Blue Haven were contacted directly, you had your opportunity. To discuss them now will not resolve it and only provide opportunity to continue to deny and then miss-state the facts telling everyone its BS as you've done. You representing Blue Haven with Blue Haven's management were completely unprofessional, lied and neglected to act on some mistakes and unfairly on others, instead of accepting responsibility, and it cost me both time and money. If you and Blue Haven had acted properly, I would have provided different feedback. Your callous responses and lack of compassion should only add proof to others that you don't care.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Mr. Payne and I first got to know each other through this forum. Over the years, we have met each other a number of times. At no time, did my BS-meter go off and I have a pretty darned good one at detecting it.

While he is certainly more sales focused than I am, we get along great. Neither of us is afraid to speak his mind or look in the mirror. As long as we continue to tell it like it is to whomever we are speaking with, if the other person take umbrage, that is their problem. I have never known Mr. Payne to tell it otherwise though sometimes I may choose language that is somewhat seemingly alienating.

Just before the "Thought and Payers" thread was started about my health, Mr. Payne noticed my being absent here and called me to see how I was doing. I had just (2 or 3 days) had a brain tumor removed and he had no idea until I told him what I just went through.

He started the thread on his own. He knew this forum is important to me and our to the industry as it provides many with the information they need to make good decisions about who to use and what equipment works well, and how to get it to do what is desired and how to recognize marketing and sales propaganda versus actual and factual truths. He knew that because he feels the same way.

I stand up for my friends. Mr. Payne wouldn't have known about your previous statements had I not called him since he doesn't monitor this forum much anymore. You have made repeated unsubstantiated claims here and in previous posts against his character, up to and including your last post. I choose my friends carefully. Of course I am insulted.

Mr. Payne left BHP's employ some time ago. Why would he bring any issues that you may or may not have had or have currently, with him?

In sales, the #1 task of a sales person is to get the deal signed and then move on to the next opportunity. The support issues after that are supposed to be handled by others. If they failed, that, it isn't his issue but theirs. He did his job.

If your expectations weren't met, then you have to ask yourself what part did you play in that? Were any 3rd parties involved? What controls were in place? In other words, substantiate the claims. You haven't been willing to. Either prove me wrong or stop this nonsense.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    Excavation started Thursday. So far very happy with Swim-mor and everyone we have dealt with. After speaking to a couple of friends who have the pentair variable speed pump we decided to switch. Both noticed significant savings with the variable speed despite keeping the pump running 24 hours. Also spoke to swim-mor and they are willing to use pebble-tec. They just finished a new build using it. They are looking into the pricing for us. Thanks again for all your advice. This is quite a daunting process.

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Message me when the coping is done.

Scott

• lookingforpoolnj
    11 years ago

Scott,
    In you opinion would the pebbletec last longer before a need to resurface than the quartz? What is the typical span before a resurface on both?

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I have never seen PT ever been replaced due to wear.

Quality quartz finishes, like Diamond Brite usually last 12-15 years, with proper care.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Day 1 - Excavation

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Day 1 - Excavation

{{!gwi}}

• lookingforpoolnj
    11 years ago

What is the approximate cost of resurfacing a 800 square foot pool? I was also wondering what the start up care for the quartz consists of.
    Thanks so much for all of the help.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Lookingforapool, that will vary from region to region with a fairly substantial swing in pricing. While Florida, for example, may be able to do this activity year round, in NJ, the pool plastering season is much shorter due to weather. This means the time to turning a profit for the year (equipment must still be paid for after all) makes each job cost more.

As for start up, a quartz finish is generally the same as for plaster unless the PB recommends a high alk start for a the plaster.

Scott

• topfiftybuilder
    11 years ago

blah... blah...blah... Please post a pic of your completed pool that you had such a terrible time with and show everyone.... I call BS and still do because I built 250 pools with a company and NO pool took a year to build.... in fact not more than 8 weeks on a standard build.... my jobs are sold CLEAN... 250 pools.. no lawsuits.... your a broken record with no audience... your experience with BHP after the sale ... is YOUR experience. No good deed goes unpunished ..... I want it all.... but don't want to pay for it.... does that sound familiar ..??

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    Just got an estimate of $13/sq foot minimal for pebbletec. Is that reasonable?

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Somewhat steep but not unexpectedly so for around here. PT is PT, after all. Wet Edge's Pearl or Satin Matrix (large and small pebble) is about the same on the less costly colors.

There's a telling word in your question and that's "minimal". For PT premium colors, I would expect up to 25% more is possible.

In contrast, plain white plaster would be about $4500.

Hmm, nearly forever or 8-10 year life.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Swim-mor subcontracts the PT out to a company from N. Jersey. From our experience the farther North, the higher the price. Just wanted to make sure that the price wasn't completely off the wall. Fortunately the PB is willing to give us a credit for the standard plaster that is included in the price. We have to give them some color choices before they can quote us a true price. If I really believed the surface would last forever the choice would be easier but forever is a long time. Is there a difference in the durability of the different PB's? (pebbletec, vs pebble sheen, pebblefina)

Gunite going in today

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

PT uses pebbles that have some diameter to them. This reduces the cement exposed. This makes it more textured (not rough though) but also makes staining easier to get rid of and has less calcium for the water to draw out (it is the Universal Solvent) as calcium hardness.

PF and PS have still smaller pebbles and thus, they expose more cement, but not much more. IIRC, it still a lot less than plaster or Diamond Brite.

With less cement exposed, more aggregate is. Since the aggregates are hard rocks as compared to plaster's marble dust being relatively soft and more porous, it can take stronger doses of chlorine and acid without eating at the finish.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gunite

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elevated wall with sheer descent & bench

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shallow end steps and bench

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    Forgive my stupidity but what I think you said was PT is the most durable but not significantly more so than the sheen or fina. Just emailed the PB for pricing on our color choices. Thanks again for your advice.

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I have not seen a real definitive difference. If the cement is hidden by exposed pebble aggregate, you have a more durable surface that reduces solvent based leaching of calcium (portland cement's and marble dust plaster's big ingredient). Acid acts as a solvent. Hence, we watch the pH of the pool. If you pull the calcium out of the pool wall, it becomes roughened.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Coping tile and wall done

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gunite

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    Two more questions for you. It rained the day the gunite was done. When I got home the crew said they would have to come back to finish. When I called the office today I was told they had already come out to finish but these pictures are from today and look exactly like the day the gunite was done. Will this be a problem with plastering?

Also we are doing pavers around the pool and the contracter isnt available to the end of September. We wanted to do the plaster and then the decking. Depending on who we talk to we have been told this is not a good idea. What is your thinking?

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I don't think you'll want to plaster just yet. There is entirely too much exposed earth around the pool. That dirt is sure to get in the pool.

New plaster is at it most vulnerable when fresh and not fully cured. Stain removal may not be doable because of plaster not being cured yet. A dirt stain can become permanent, Even PT products with their shorter cure time and better stain removal characteristics have to respect this.

Laying pavers kicks up a lot of dust and dirt. You don't want it in the pool. Plaster after the pavers. A naked shell is easier to clean out. Dirt stains aren't as much of a concern since the shell is covered with new plaster.

The pool shell looks fine. You didn't say what they had to finish. It just needs to cure.

If the shell wasn't shot till 9/15 or so, you can't plaster until mid- September unless they used 7000 PSI gunite in which case the cure time needed to provide the strength needed is about 1/2. I only know one person that does this and they are in Texas.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    I'm not sure what the guy from the gunite crew was talking about when he mentioned coming back. I thought he was referring to the etching on the floor and the irregularity of the deep end wall in the previous pictures. Happy to hear that it will not be a problem with the pebble tec. Gunite was done 8/14 so we will have no issues with the length of time the gunite has to cure since the easliest the paver guy can start is mid september.

Yet another question for you. Seems like pebble tec colors is a common concern on this and many other sites. Now that time is not a big issue we are going to try to see a few colors before making a final decision. I was thinking of going with slate blue. Not real dark but not white either. Also wanted a couple of mosaic tiles. Do you think this is a good idea with a non-white finish? The extra time is giving me way too much time to stress over this stuff.

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I stay out of anything color oriented.

Scott

• bpricedo
    11 years ago

Mosaics look great on any finish, they are just expensive, especially ones made with glass tile. If you can afford it, go for it!

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bpricedo
    Thanks. Considering the amount of money we are sinking into this pool and how amazingly overbudget we already are, the mosiac is really not too bad. We chose a large dolphin and a few small turtles for the stairs. Excited to hear they will look good despite the colored plaster. Didn't want to give them up

Laura

• lookingforpoolnj
    11 years ago

orthochk,
    How is your build going? We are considering using swim mor and would love any feedback on how your build is going. So far looks great.
    Thank you

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lookingforpoolnj,
    Unfortunately our decking guy cant start for a few weeks so there's no much going on at this time.

As for swim-mor so far we are pretty happy. They were willing to upgrade to different equipment that they normally dont use and also allowed us to upgrade to pebbletec. Our biggest complaint is that there is no one person overseeing the build. Our salesguy was out of the Northfield location and the crews are out of the Mt. Epraim location. Communication sometimes is less than perfect. The crews however, are very professional, always show up on time, and do a great job.

Hope that helps. let me know if there is anything I can answer for you.

Laura

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    This may be a dumb question. But is this a problem? Noticed this after the huge rain we had last week.

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

They'll seal it up before plastering.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The plaster guys or the gunite guys?

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Usually, the plaster guys.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pebblesheen was installed yesterday and pool is currently filling. With the lights on tonight we noticed that the surface looked very irregular, almost wavy. Also there are a couple of areas with small indentations in the surface. Is some irregularity normal with pebble sheen?

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Floors and walls are almost never flat surfaces. There are normally undulations, regardless of the finish. These are more pronounced at night with the light(s) in the pool on.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Scott. I thought the undulations were probably normal but I was more concerned with the small holes. You can see very subtle footprints and the holes from the spikes on the shoes the installers were wearing.

Also I read somewhere on this forum that the heater and salt system cant be started with pebbletec for about a month. Is this true?

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Holes from spikes are not acceptable.

If the plasterer said a month, follow his lead, if only for the warranty.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The guy that "opened" the pool today said that brushing would remove the footprints which are not visible during the day. I will contact pebbletec tomorrow to see what can be done.

As for the heater, that was from a post on this forum. The installers didn't tell us anything about it. Guess I can address this as well tomorrow.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

The way I see it, once the pool's pH settles some (typically a week or so with PT brand finishes) and is balanced, I see no reason not to use the heater.

Weather is supposed to be in the low 70's during the day next week per The Weather Channel's 10 day outlook.

Scott

• lookingforpoolnj
    11 years ago

Scott,
    We have chosen a builder and they did the excavation yesterday. Today they are laying the rebar. We are supposed to get a storm here in NJ over the weekend into next week and I was wondering what your thoughts were on what kind of damage can happen to pool if there is a lot of rain and wind. I was told it would be ok but am still nervous.
    Thank you

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

I can't control the weather. I know next to nothing of the soil and drainage at your dig. You might be fine or you might have some wash outs. The PB is likely as concerned as you are though he won't be likely to say that. Hopefully, you'll have gunite at least 24 hours before it hits, if it hits.

Scott

• orthochk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott,
    The water level in the pool was at the bottom of the tiles (6 inch) prior to the storm. Is it better to let the water overflow or to drain some water out? We also shut off the breaker to the pool equipment. any other recommendations?

Hope your safe from the storm

Laura

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

As long as there isn't any serious and continuous freezing, keeping it up won't hurt. Jut try to scoop out leaves. Phones seem to be working again here.

Scott

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA