Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
courtlynn12_gw

New Pool Build in North TX

courtlynn12
14 years ago

Hello. I have been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks. It seems that there are many very knowledgable people who frequent this site. I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Below are listed the major details that I can think of for our bid. My questions are does this sound like a good bid and adequate equipment. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance!

109Â perimeter/ 607 sq ft/ 18x36/ 19000 gallons

3Â x 5Â x 4Â

6x9 freeform spa/ 18Â raised/ 6 jets

Beach entry

2 loveseats

45 sq ft Oklahoma flagstone coping

30 ft moss rock coping

2 skimmers

6 returns

Polaris 280 cleaner

Pool light(colored) and spa light

2 hp jandy pool pump

460 sq ft jandy cartridge filter

Ps-6 jandy pool computer

Ps-6 jandy wireless pda pool controller

400K btu propane lxi jandy heater

1.5 hp blower

Aqualink jandy salt system

SR smith typhoon slide

Jandy 3 way valves

Dual main drains for pool and spa

Level one pebble finish

1275 sq ft seeded aggregate decking

3 year warranty on all equipment

all this for 45,000

Comments (50)

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of the plans.

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Yep,
    Thats a pool all right.

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I am really insulted. I have seen numerous helpful posts from you mr. just a pb. why the rude comment?

• lala2874
    14 years ago

Courtlynn, I got one from him too when I posted my build specs. Don't let it bother you.

I think your pool is going to be very nice. Your specs look great and it looks like you are getting a heck of a deal on cost! You should be rightly excited. Please continue to post your build.
    I am listening to the gunite crew at my house as I am typing! It is a very exciting adventure, this pool building!

• ornategirl
    14 years ago

I'm not an expert since we are just finishing today on our first pool but it looks like a beautiful plan at a really good price to me. I know your excited so don't let anyone take that joy away! We hope to be swimming this weekend and it only took two months to complete since we are not having much rain here in Georgia. Good luck and post pictures when you can.

• hawkfive
    14 years ago

It looks lovely, and at a terrific price. My only concern would be the location of the slide - is it in the shallow end? I've seen what my boys can do on a slide, and I would definitely want it positioned where the water is deepest. Just my .02

• hv4xpy4
    14 years ago

looks fun. just from going thru our build process right now would think about a couple things:
    1) we were steered away from a beach entry in this area (DFW) b/c they turn into a bird bath and you constantly have bird poo to clean out
    2) price seems low. if you haven't already, recommend you get multiple bids for that same configuration to make sure it is a realistic quote

• fletch58
    14 years ago

no brainer, slide better be in the deep end

• janetlong
    14 years ago

I think it looks absolutely gorgeous! Lots of pool for a reasonable price in my opinion! What color are you thinking?? Good luck to you--keep us in the loop with your pics and info. about your build!

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

What an incredibly AWESOME purchase price on your new pool, CONGRATS!!!

Note to all readers,
    This members pool is proof positive that now is the time to act if your truly looking for a new pool. His/her pool is selling for an easy 10 plus percent less than it would have at this time a year ago. Every pool I've sold this year has been at these reduced margin prices due to the economy. It's not to late to get a pool and still enjoy some of the swim season.

See ya,
    Kelly

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to you all. We are very excited. We got a wonderful price from a very reputable pb in the area, who also happens to be a family friend. We are currently waiting on the final paperwork from the bank so we can get started, soon hopefully in the next week or so.

janetlong- We have not yet decided on pebble color so any input would be greatly apprecitated.

hawkfive- I will discuss the placement of the slide with our pb. Thanks for the advice.

hv4xpy4- I will consider your input about the beach entry. This is one option I really want due to our small children. Does anyone in the area have this problem with birds in your beach entry. I dont want it to be more of a problem, but I know our babies will enjoy the splash area.

Thanks to all of your for your input. I will certainly be on here frequently with questions throughout the process of our build and I will keep you updated with pics along the way. I cant wait!! This is such an exciting time for us!

• hv4xpy4
    14 years ago

courtlynn, we likewise have a baby so we did a shelf which gives you the same shallow play area (approx 6 in deep) but without the bird probs of the full beach edge. personal choice, sure it will be great either way

Here is a link that might be useful: dfw build

• green_eyed_longhorn
    14 years ago

Very nice! This makes me jealous. I just got a "heck of a deal" bid for a 45k pool and it's much smaller and has no slide or beach entry. I will post the details in a new thread when I get some time--maybe you all can help (minus the rude comment from just-a-pb ;)

I do live in Austin, where pools are more $$$, since we are sitting on granite and limestone, but I want to make sure I am getting the best deal.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

That looks like a Puryear design. Is he your PB?

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I am not familiar with Puryear, our PB is Absolute Pools

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

UPDATE: Finally all the banking business is over. PB just called, they will be here Monday morning at 7:30!!! YEAH!! I am so excited, I will post pics as soon as I have a hole in my yard, have never been so excited to see a mess in my backyard!

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

That's awesome. They excavated here yesterday and did the rebar and plumbing today.

So all your permits have been completed? That's what held us up longer than anything.

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Congrats! We're a little over a week into our build, what a MESS, but should have plaster and water by the 29th, woohoo! Paradigmdawg, I thought it was Puryear also. :) It does look like a Puryear drawing. I'm the lone Puryear client around here it seems. :)

• womanowned
    14 years ago

Based on your description, your price is more than reasonable. Your PB can't be making much money on this one! But, then again, not many of us are this year. Kelly is right...take advantage of the sluggish economy. I know I am building pools for a lot less than I have in the past. Now is the time to buy a house, a car and a pool!

• domingos35
    14 years ago

courtlynn12

if i was u i would ask pool builder to run 3" pipes for the suction ,and 2" for the returns

• sandradee
    14 years ago

Awesome price! And, if your PB is the Absolute Pools I've heard about, you'll have an outstanding product done by top-notch people. Wish they had been working in the N. TX area when we were building. We've only heard good things about them (no, I don't work for them and I'm not related :)).

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We got started yesterday. SO fun to watch. They showed up at 8 and started digging.
    Here is a pic of the yard before...

hit rock around 10am, which made for extra work, they were here digging until 9:30 last night. Looks great!!

The steel and plumbing guys showed up at 6 am and were gone by 2pm. This is what it looks like now, gunite crew should be here in the morning!

Lots of decisions to make, we are deciding on tile color and pebble color. also what kind of spillway we want from hot tub to pool. PB said they will gunite tomorrow then start tile and coping on monday.

We have lots of projects, my husband is going to build a roof off the metal building(shop) and we have to work on fence. Lots of work, I cant wait to see a finished project!!!!

• renovxpt
    14 years ago

Just to be a bit safer, I would dig some piers in the baja shelf down to the rock horizon. Differential settling is something to consider on your site and conditions.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

So cool. We are about in the same build phase as you. They are spraying gunite right this second. We finished picking out all of our materials at lunch time and when I got home, they were out there with the big hoses.

We change our tile and coping when we were picking out the materials. Kind of on the fly but we are both happy with the new picks.

• renovxpt
    14 years ago

You should also do the same on the spa. The soil on top of the rock horizon looks like it might have a high expansion/contraction ratio.

Theres a thread on here about a spa cracking that you might want to read.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

courtlynn: Looks great. You have a huge yard and such an open space behind your fence---I would die for all the space/property!
    Things move pretty fast in the beginning and looks like you have had lots of work done the past few days.
    Keep the pictures coming!

• renovxpt
    14 years ago

Your soil conditions are exactly what is described in this article. Scroll down to differential movement cracking.

It would be easy to fix now. It would be a disaster if it fails later.

Here is a link that might be useful: differential movement cracking

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

janetlong: thanks, we love living out here and all of our land. Its gonna be hard to fence it off, we are still deciding which type of fence because we dont want to seclude ourselves from all of our land.

renovxpt: thanks for the advice, i will check with my pb about this. i know much of the land in our area is similar and he has built several in our area, hasnt seemed to be much of a concern but i will definitely mention it. THANKS

paradigmdawg: im glad to share this exciting time with you, i have been following your build as well, glad you got your gunite in. I have been worried about rain but luckily it hasnt slowed us down YET, i dont know we are above 50% chances early next week so we will see!

• leepoffaith
    14 years ago

Your pool looks very nice!! It has a similar shape to the pool I am looking into except our spa will be in the middle and no slide. :)

2 things I wanted to mention just as suggestions.

1. I only see 1 line plumed into the sunshelf/beach entry. Are you only doing one bubbler? For the price you may want to throw another one in there.

2. I know you had mentioned that you were getting 1 colored light for the pool. I've heard from numberous sources that with your size pool you want 2 to make sure the pool is fully illuminated. It's not a huge deal, but just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck and I can't wait to see more pictures! :)

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well we are still looking at gunite. They finished wednesday and we have been watering it several times a day. They will be here Monday to start tile and coping. STILL havent decided on pebble tech color. I really like blue granite but I want to see it in person. Here is a pic of my 2 favorite boys watering the pool !!!
    More to come, stay tuned!

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Looking good.

I am already sick of watering the gunite. It was fun on day one but not so much at this point.

All that occured yesterday was the electrical inspection. I don't know when they are moving to the next step. I think that changing our tile and coping late last week may have slowed us down. My wife was saying that it sure seems like they are moving slow and I agreed. I then reminded her and myself, that they just dug last Thursday and all plumbing, rebar, electrical has been done since then.

• janetlong
    14 years ago

Hey, use a sprinkler if you have one. I figured that out after about day 2 of watering gunite in 104 degree weather. Worked great.
    That little guy watering is SO cute. What a perfect picture. Looks like a future firefighter! Absolutely precious!!!!! Pool is looking good too.

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

janetlong: its funny that you say that, my husband is a firefighter. I thought it was a precious picture!!

• janetlong
    14 years ago

That is tooo funny! He is definitely taking after his father then! Your hubby should just have the firetruck swing by and douce the pool with the fire hose. That would take about 2 minutes!!!

I had to comment on that picture, your son looks like he is taking his "job" seriously! He's got the technique down----dad should be proud!!! Sooo cute!!!

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Looking like we may get a break in the rain. Maybe one of us will see some progress this week after all!

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Holy cow, I guess I should look outside before I speak. I just looked out and they are out there laying tile and coping!

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Where have you been? How's the build going?

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

New Update: I went back to school this week (Im an assistant principal) so I havent been around as much. Things have been slow this week due to the weather but all the equipment is now set(sorry no pics of that Ill get some tomorrow) electric is done and finished tile and coping today. Tommorrow they are gonna form up the decks, weather permitting. Ill keep you updated. Here are a few new pics. Tell me what you think of the rocks(moss rock boulders), I am kinda unsure that I like them but I think they look good in our surroundings with and when everything else comes together I think Ill be happy, I hope so!!

spa

beach entry

boulder wall (this is what I call it) There will be a flower bed behind this

I didnt get a very big pic of the whole pool but the rest of the coping is okla flagstone. this is the best pic of the whole thing i took, again ill take more tommorrow :)

• fletch58
    14 years ago

I love the jacuzzi. I had rocks around my last pool and they got on my nerves :)

• hv4xpy4
    14 years ago

i really like the spa veneer and spillway. oh and i like that tile ;-)

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

Looks great! Love the beach entry, I understand people's concerns but I just wanted it darn it. :) I'm in N. TX also. We got plaster today so I have no idea what I'm in for as for bird poop, but I'm so glad we did the beach entry. :) I love your spill way. Oooooooooh the things I'd do differently. Wish I had that spillway! Your tile and stone looks great. We didn't even consider boulders, wish I had! You got a heck of a deal, my price for a smaller pool, much less decking, with no slide came it at 45k. Granted, that did include a 4k 80' retaining wall on the side of the house that we'll never see, but still, you got a GOOD price. I'm jealous! Can't wait to see your progress. Blue Granite PS is one of my favorites from pics I've seen here. Our PB does stonescapes (bummer......) and I went out on a LIMB and did mauve, Ahhhhhh, the horror! :):):) I think blue granite would be a wonderful choice.

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Looks great to me. We are in the same exact stage of our builds. They are supposed to stake out and form our deck today, pour early next week and plaster late next week. We had a ton of rain last night so not sure they can do anything today. The good news is the rain is gone fo a while so next week should be great.

• wingosh
    14 years ago

Looks great! I love all of the rock work and how it fits in with the landscape! (I miss that part of the world...)The tile looks familiar -- good choice! We have the pebble tec crew here this a.m., so we are just ahead of you. Keep the pics coming and know that you have an amazing pool! :-)

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry its been so long since I updated. Things are moving. Deck is poured (waiting 10 days for spray deck) they are putting in pebble today. Sorry no pics, Im back to work and super busy. Im starting to think about landscaping now. Any help is appreciated. What are some things that will stay pretty year round?? Is that possible?? I know I want to do some banana trees and palm trees but Im not sure if I should wait till the spring on those, otherwise just hearty tropical stuff....i have one area that needs somthing like a bush but tropical..help I am clueless on this :)

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Dang it, you are ahead of me now. They pushed our deck pour back (occured this morning and I love it) which pushed our PT to Monday so you will be swimming a couple of days before me.

We have a few good ideas on how we want to landscape but I pretty darn certain, that I am out of money, so I don't even want to think about spending more.

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

courtlynn12, we need pics! :)

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry its been so long since i posted pics. This is the newest one we have. They finished the spray deck yesterday, I LOVE IT!! and should be putting in slide in the next day or so... we are getting closer. Ill take good pics with slide up and water features going this weekend. We are too busy with work and swimming to do much else!!

• jenno_tx
    14 years ago

WOW WOW WOW! It's incredible! You must be THRILLED, I know I would be! Do you happen to know what color mortar they used for your flagstone coping and spa facing?

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

Look great. Enjoy!

• courtlynn12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

phase 3. we are at the beginning of our 3rd year and have completed phase 3 .the outdoor kitchen! just wanted to share.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio