Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaleinani_gw

I need help regarding phosphates

kaleinani
15 years ago

I went to Leslie's to get my pool water checked and they told me I had 2500+ppb phosphates in my pool water. I have a 15K inground fiberglass pool with a Pool Pilot SWCG. I was told to put in 6 liters of a product called PhosFree though the skimmer. I did what I was told, and now yuck, my pool looks horrible. Very cloudy...horrible. The pool water was beautiful this morning when I took in the sample. My readings were 7.4 ph - 5 fc - 110 ta - 120 ch & 25 cya. Good heavens, after I put in the recommended amount of PhosFree, the pressure on my filter shot up to 22 psi and my Pool Pilot had the check light blinking red, check flow and no purifier. I freaked out and pulled out the cartridge and put in a clean cartridge and cleaned the cartridge I took out. Am I doomed? Is the pool supposed to do this when adding the PhosFree? Does anyone know? Did Leslie's tell me to put in too much PhosFree? Does anyone know if this can be corrected, or am I just going to have to wait it out? I tried called the company that makes the PhosFree, but they were closed. I even called Leslie's and they told not to worry. Am I worried over nothing?

Bev

Comments (21)

• barco
    15 years ago

Doesn't the bottle say do not add more than 1 L bottle at a time, or maybe it was no more than 2 1L bottles? I seem to recall that the last time I used it. Did you read the directions on the bottle first? I think that the PhosFree product "flocks" the phosphate out of solution as a solute....

Run your filter/pumps continuously and you may have to clean them at least a couple of times. I think because you poured it through your skimmer which went straight to your filter you were basically loading it up with phosphate product.

It should clear up over time.

Also an important lesson to learn from Leslies...if they tell you need x of something, buy half as much...come back if you need the other half. They always try and sell you more of something (about twice as much) because once you walk through the door, you can't return it.

Have you put Jacks Magic in your pool...many products that sequester contain phosphoric acid that will raise your phosphate level.

• barco
    15 years ago

Oh and one more thing....only battle problems you have. Leslies likes to set you only non-existant battles. Did you have a lot of algae or something or did the phosphate battle come out of left field?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Cloudy water is the reaction for 24+ hours when adding a remover. Plugged up filter too. PhosFree is kinda crappy. You have to use way to much and yes the measurements are in liters. Next time try SeaKlear. It's an awesome product that use ounces and while it clouds, that is the process. It does not cause foaming either.

• ducter
    15 years ago

I check my phosphates 1-2 times a year. One year I had alot so I used 3 bottles of phosfree but 2 days apart and into the water, not the skimmer. After the phospates came down the water was clearer. My pool store says that they only do something if it is over 500.

• barco
    15 years ago

Proteam Metal Magic
    Yeh, I just looked on their website. http://www.proteampoolcare.com/msds/METAL_MAGIC.pdf. Its Phosphonic acid derivitive. It will eventually break down to phosphates in your pool over time. I don't think anybody really knows 100% for sure if phosphates increase, cause, contribute,or just enhance growth of existing algae. I don't think that you were necessary complaining about algae though and this is the problem with Leslies...they will set you on a "non-existent" battle.

You will find that about 25+ years ago or so, they linked phosphates and the dumping of detergents into streams from companies leading to massive algae blooms. Algae thrive on phosphates. So in essence you are adding fertilizer of sorts for them. However, if you have no algae, the fertilizer just sits there.

If the phosphates are as high as you had and you are concerned with them, you are actually suppose to use Aluminum Sulfate first to get them down to something that the PhosFree is better equiped to handle.

Switch to ScaleTec, the pink half gallon stuff if you want to continue to work on your metals without the eventually increase in phosphates.

My question is what was your CYA level and Chlorine level when the pool was cloudy?

• kaleinani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barco-I had zero chlorine and CYA was 25. About two weeks prior to the zero chlorine I used ascorbic acid 1.75 lbs to rid my fiberglass pool of metal stains that were getting quite bad. After all was done to remove the metal stains, I was noticing that I could not keep the chlorine level up. I would do a 24 hour boost, and I could get to 4.3 chlorine. When the boost would go off, I would get maybe a .05. After a while, the boost did not work. Also, about a week and half ago I added 4 lbs of stabilizer because I thought maybe that was the problem. CYA went to 70, but when I had Leslies check the CYA on Thursday, it was 25.
    The pool as of this morning is still cloudy, and the PSI went from 6 to 10. Is patience the answer?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

It's no argument. People can choose to believe or not. Phosphates in water cause algae blooms. Algae needs phosphates in order to flourish. The lake reference is true. Excessive farm runoff into lakes causes fish kills due to the algae.

SeaKlear is a product line that is highly effective. Their seasonal algaecide, particle reduction system and phosphate remover is a triple threat to water treatment that is not comparable to anything else.

Again, it's not going to be found everywhere because it works. You won't be buying it monthly as you have already found.

• kaleinani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Repair Guy- I found out that our PB has the SeaKlear in stock. Probably won't get it now, because I used the PhosFree, but I will certainly keep this in mind.

• jaxd
    15 years ago

I have used Phos Free for 3 years every summer, but I use an initial dose of 2 cap fulls and then 1 cap full every week; directly into the pool. Prior to Phos Free I had an annual problem with phosphates. If you use it according to directions you will not have any problems.

• barco
    15 years ago

I don't argue or doubt an extremelly large concentrate of phosphates is going to contribute to exponential algae growth and help it fluorish, but I think the philosphy of getting rid of all phosphates in your pool is over done and over blown. Phosphates at incredible low concentrations of 50, 100, 500 PPB (thats parts per billion) are not significant compared with the concentrations of chlorine at PPM (thats parts per million). However, a concentration of 2500+ is significant enough to be of concern. However, I would not have put 6 liters in my pool over it. Just nudge it back down to below 1000 and stop using the phosphonic acid.

Farm runoff and or factories pouring detergents into a river are cases where the phosphates are in PPT or even in higher concentrations. Also, in these cases, there is little or no FC maintainance. Go to the lake and dump the equivalent amount of bleach into the lake and the algae will all die.

I think you treat high phosphates levels like high CYA levels. You will have to add more chlorine to overcome its higher than normal FC usage if the phosphates were not there. So in essence it might be cheaper to just solve the underlying phosphate problem or pay the price in much higher chlorine usage and much more frequently shocking.

But I do still think that Leslies did him a disservice with 6 liters of the stuff.

Also at these very high concentrations of phosphates it makes more economical sense to go with Aluminum Sulfate..and vacuum it up off the bottom of the pool before it gets into your pumb.

In addition, if you are going to fight the battle at 100ppb, you should never enter your pool with a bathing suit that you have washing with laundry detergent....

• kaleinani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Barco-Took the cartridge out today and I could hardly lift it our of the filter housing. It had stuff that looked like little curds of cottage cheese and it was slimy....UGH! The pool is starting to clear, but is still hazy. I am hoping with continued cleaning of the cartridges it will clear up.

I will never, ever put 6 liters of that stuff in my pool again. I guess at least once every year I do something idiotic and then go into cardiac arrest.

What exactly is Aluminum Sulfate? Can you get it under some brand name?

Thanks - Beverly

• barco
    15 years ago

Its used in your drinking water already and also in baking powder and antiperspirants. Use it instead of 6 liters of PhosFree and Phosphates are way over 2000+ ppb.

http://www.baraclear.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-705-4LB-Aluminum-Sulfate/dp/B000BZ4RJY

• neilaz
    15 years ago

Aluminum Sulfate is one cause of Alzheimer's. Yet we drink it, wash in it, swim in it put it under our arms, what is wrong with us. I do it also. Guess we figure we are going to die anyway?

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

I have found that any pool at 250ppb or less is fine. Exceed the level in the 500 - 1000 range and you will likely have a pool with some sort of continuing algae problem. You can equally knock out algae with a lot of chlorine and a product such as Green to Clean with very little work and a lot less impact on your filter.

• barco
    15 years ago

Aluminum Sulfate is one cause of Alzheimer's. Well nobody is for 100% sure Aluminum causes Alzheimers yet. However, don't overdue it...and add too much + watch your ph. They already floc your drinking water with it unfortunately. Nobody likes algae in their drinking water.

The Aluminum Sulphate reacts with the Phosphate to form Aluminum Phosphate which is a white precipitate that goes to the bottom of the pool and the filter. Then you vacuum it up or clean your filter so your taking the Aluminum back out of the water with the phosphates. You are left with Sulphate derivatives in the water instead of Phosphate.

• barco
    15 years ago

Just one interesting side note on this...some claim that Phosphates NOT Aluminum causes Alzheimers...how ironic.

http://www.nofluoride.com/Alzheimer's_in_America.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Phosphates cause Alzheimers

• timmygrrrl
    9 years ago

I have just experienced the same problem with phos free...just wondering if cleaning out te filter eventually cleared your pool up? Thanks!

• langstonsmom
    6 years ago

I like all the comments for future products to use. However, what cleared up your pool, patience and clean cartridge? I'm in same predicament.

• Jane Zahra
    4 years ago

Here’s another dummy that followed Leslie’s advise before reading directions and making adjustments for size of pool. My pool is 2500 gallons. It’s an Endless pool. Is it a pool or a spa? It’s a pool that is the size of a spa! I would love to see a site specifically for Endless Pool users (not their site!) by Endless Pool users with calculation tables, tips, etc. Because most pool stores give advise on quantities based on an average 10;000 gallon pool. math Makes my brain hurt...or maybe it’s the phosphates and/or aluminum!

Thank you all for the info here...it helps a lot!

jz

• HU-281617689
    4 years ago

Phosfree the phosphates 0 have ! !!!