Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eduardh_gw

Advice on major inground pool renovation

eduardh
13 years ago

I would appreciate advice on a major pool renovation that I am starting. I have a 38,000 in ground Sylvan pool (in NJ) that is about 30 years old. The main problem is the poured concrete deck which is in bad shape. It is sinking in sections and badly cracked in others. There are also hollow areas underneath some of the slabs probably from bad drainage around the pool area. I have contacted a number of pool companies for estimates. I am also going to have the pool replastered (I was told that paint applied by prior owner needs to be sandblasted before new plaster can be applied). Finally, I need new coping and tile. I would appreciate any advice on questions to ask to contractors and things to watch out for. One big question is whether I need to have the old deck jackhammered out and repoured. My guess is yes since it is sinking and badly deteriorated, but a pool guy yesterday told me that he could just pour concrete over the surface of the old deck and it would be fine (I assume that he is trying to scam me). Also, what cost range should I expect for the renovation? I know that it will depend somewhat on the materials I choose, but what would be a reasonable range? I very much appreciate your help and insight.

Ed

Comments (4)