Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracik_gw

salt water pool has no chlorine in it

tracik
9 years ago

Our pool is about 14 months old and so far we have had no problem with it until now.

I took a sample in a couple of weeks ago and they said it showed no chlorine in it and ph was high. So, they had me put acid and shock in it. They said salt was good. I turned the chlorinator I guess that's what you call it all the way up.

I took another sample today and they said no chlorine in it and ph high again. So, they sent me home with the same thing. He said something may be wrong with our chlorinator. How would I know besides having the pool people out? The lights are working on it.

A man was in there at the same time as me and told me I needed to put chlorine tabs in it. But, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a salt water pool? The pool guy did tell us we might have to do that over the winter months, but we never did.

Any one have any recommendations? Should I just call out the pool people? Of course its after the year is over!

Thanks for any help! Traci

Comments (9)

• muddy_water
    9 years ago

Tracy what brand of salt system do you have? And did they check the water for phosphates ?

• muddy_water
    9 years ago

Tracy what brand of salt system do you have? And did they check the water for phosphates ?

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jandy? I know that name is out there not sure if that is the salt system or not. I don't know about phosphates. I am taking another sample this week. I will ask them.

• apalmieri
    9 years ago

My salt system had a bad power module and was not producing chlorine. The pool company said there was no chlorine because the chemicals were not balanced, but I called Autopilot. They customer rep had me read the system status report and said the wattage was too low to produce chlorine. He got a tech to replace the module.

• rwagoner
    9 years ago

Make sure you have enough conditioner in the pool water, otherwise the unstable chlorine will break down too fast in the sun to be of any use. Make sure the cell is cleaned; often a cell clogged with deposits won't throw a code but won't make any chlorine either.

PH being off is relatively normal ... the salt generator process raises PH.

Make sure, too, that the system is being run long enough to make enough chlorine.

• dewalt17
    9 years ago

Can you take a sample just after the clorinator? If you didn't use chlorine tablets in the winter there's a chance you may have bacteria in the pool. Your chlorinator is probably working but if there's bacteria it's eating up the chlorine the chlorinator is making before it makes a difference. What kind of pool is it? Vinyl, Gunite, fiberglass? What testing kit do you have? Can you take and list all results for the following.

PH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Todd

• airb320
    9 years ago

Easiest way to check is to take a sample from a return, bubbler or waterfall since that comes straight from the Salt Cell Generator. If you don't see any chlorine than your Cell is bad. Quick and easy...:-)

• c9pilot
    9 years ago

The circuit board in our salt generator control box went bad after about two years. It had a 3-year warranty, so it was no big deal, except that it took me weeks and weeks to figure out that something was wrong.
    We had had a lot of rain, and I kept blaming it on the water just getting too diluted. I cleaned the salt cells. I tried to reset the box. Etc. Finally I did something and got an error message (I think, or maybe I'm confusing it with the spa heater, whose circuit board has been replaced twice due to rats chewing on it). and I finally realized that it really wasn't working.

• tracik
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I believe it may have just been from my ph being too high. I started testing that every few days and adding acid as needed and the chlorine has been fine. I took a sample in yesterday and they said it was perfect.

The pool people told us not the touch the cell. We did clean it after reading this. It really didn't look dirty though.

thanks everyone!!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County