Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool step railings

Posted by ammenges (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 19:11

Hi. We are in the middle of building a gunite pool in wall township NJ. The just poured the stamped concrete and there are two holes near the steps for a hand rail. I guess I hadn't consider the holes when the PB told me they needed to put in a railing to pass inspection, but then we could take it outif we wanted. Are hand railings actually required? Anybody know the rules about this?
Thanks
Anne Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool step railings

I would call the township inspector directly. I have customers that are configured both ways but both of the ones I am thinking of in Wall are a bit older and codes are subject to change.

How wide are your steps? This may be one of the criteria used.

Having the rail there is especially useful for seniors and the handicapped. I understand that the look isn't as clean but I look at that as a small potatoes item in the scheme of things. I often have friends over and am glad my rail is there.

Scott

o
RE: Pool step railings

We weren't required to have railing either, but had the anchors bonded in so that we could put one in later when my Impaired FIL came to visit. Ends up that we've never taken it out. I like having it there, although I am glad that I had them offset it to one side vice centered on the step.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here