Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rossterman_gw

need help troubleshooting my Jandy Aqua pure

rossterman
15 years ago

Help! I have a 3 year old jandy system with the 1400 model aqua pure chlorine generator. I've had the output at 100% while running the pool 3hrs per day and chlorine doesn't keep up on my 18,000gal pool. No trouble codes on the unit and all lights seem to show all is OK. Before I buy a new cell or have a technician come out, I want to know if there are some other checks (electical resistance at the cell? power/amparage coming from the control unit? etc) that I can do to determine whats wrong. Heres what I've done so far:

1. I checked the salt level with a separate test strip at 3100 (system reads 2700 on unit)

2. I've added stabilizer to bring up the CYA to ~75 from 50.

3.I've checked the chlorine in the outlet verses the pool water and don't seen any higher concentration coming from the outlet.

4.I acid washed the cell last year and it didn't appear to be dirty (no bubbling or reaction)

Heard that Jandy has a troubleshooting guide for their technicians so would like to get a copy of someones if possible. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated

Comments (44)

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

Yeah, good luck getting someone to give you the tech guide. I paid a pretty penny and a lot of hours to train on their stuff. Not giving it away in that form.

You can't expect to chlorinate 18k on 3 hours in the summer. You're generating less than a 1/4 pound of chlorine in that time. Try 8-10 hours in the summer.

• muddy_water
    15 years ago

Check the water for Phosphates first and I agree that the unit needs to be ran more than 3hrs per day during mid summer heat....I will say I sold those units for several years and had very little problems until Jandy purchased HURON/Cloromatic since I have only sold Pentair and have had a great result. With the cell on what is the voltage between the 3 prongs on your cell with the power cable attached?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cloromatic

• cagkaec_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Muddy Water,

Can I get a copy of troubleshooting flow chart? I have a Apure 1400 that gives me a trouble code of 123 and does not produce any chlorine. The cell has no voltage at cell or the wires in the box. Sometimes the service light is out but still no production.

• repair_guy
    15 years ago

123 is lo or not current at the cell. You have a cord problem, a dirty cell or a bad cell.

• texascajuns
    15 years ago

I have a jandy aquapure and i was told that it will only produce chlorine with salt level b/w 3000 and 3500 ppm. I run my unit 8 hours at 60% and keep a healthy level of chlorine.

When my unit gets above 3500, it shows a fault and stops producing. I called tech support and they gave me the above numbers. I had to partially drain to reduce my level. Since my pool is new, I haven't gone below yet.

• barco
    15 years ago

As to voltage, will I risk any damage to the unit unplugging it while it's running? Also what volt/amp range should I be seeing? (so I can set my VOM meter to the correct range)
    Not sure what you expect to get from that test. If there is any voltage at all, the power unit is probably working. What about trying this...

Unconnect the SWCG, place it in a 5 gallon bucket, cap off one side, fill the SWCG up inside with salinated pool water. Short the flow switch. Turn on the SWCG. Do you see bubbles forming at the plates? Don't run it for more than a few seconds long like this.

• jfilgo_triad_rr_com
    15 years ago

Having same issues, I found the troubleshooting procesures and flow charts for many Jandy products at following link:
    http://www.pleasurepoolsno.com/manuals.html

• keith-2009
    15 years ago

rossterman,If you have some electrical knowledge remove the front cover,follow the large ribbon,you will see a series of terminal pins. Each pin will give you the voltage reading range for your test going from memory I believe there are 5 pins.If the voltage is correct on all pins then your cell or cord is bad.Don't short across the pins.Good luck.

• rossterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

auburn girl,
    Thanks! exactly what I was looking for! Kieth 2009- I'm pretty handy electrically (helped install most of the electrical for the pool with help from my electrician friend). The troubleshooting guide is what's needed as it provides a systematic way to troubleshoot and provides specs on the voltages that should be seen. For Jandy owners the site referenced also has some other troubleshooting guides for other Jandy equipment also worth downloading!

This is a great forum to help homeowners keep their pool looking/working great!

• rossterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished making checks per the Aquapure troubleshooting guide. Every one of the electrical tests checks out OK but the cell current flow is low at .12 Millivolts instead of 120 milivolts specified. The guide says this means a bad cell but pool has a free chlorine level over 5pm so it seems like the cell must be putting out chlorine.

Also the salinity was showing way low (2400) but my test strips showed 3800 and the local pool store measured ~ 4000. I made the adjustment to the calibration so now reads correctly.
    Anyone have a similar experience on the low voltage or salinity calibration? Your experiences are appreciated.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

Are you sure of the meter's setting?

A .12 is what I would expect on a 1 or 2 amp setting (dependent on meter's available settings).

Were you leads in series?

Scott

• rossterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PoolguyNJ,
    Thanks for your comments. I was questioning the way the meter was set in the diagram and the resulting output reading the instructions show. As you suspected the scale selection was wrong; the VOM should have been on 200m not 20vts as shown in the troubleshooting guide. A simple math correction indicates that it's good to go at 120mv as you suspected. Thanks for your help!

• cdclw
    14 years ago

Hi -- I have an Aquapure 700 or 1400--- aqualink panel says "no flow." I took chlorinator and cleaned, but very little buildup. Still "no flow" -- any suggestions.

Here is a stupid question--- which way does it go back on--- I don't see any arrows for flow. are the terminals closest to the "input" side? are the error codes supposed to come up on my aqualink control panel, if present?

I will look at the aforementioned troubleshooting link, thanks!

• cdclw
    14 years ago

ok, got the flow direction from the troubleshooting manual above. terminals are closest to the input side.

• rolingrock73_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I'm on my second aquapure 1400 cell. The current one has been installed for 11 months. The power chord plug (where it connects to the cell) disentegrated around the middle prong on the cell. The first cell did the same thing but it lasted 3 years. The middle prong on the cell has been reduced in size by one-half so I don't think a new power chord will work. Has anyone else expeerinced this. Is this a know problem. I've been holding on the phone trying to get Jandy technical support to answer for over 3 hours. I'm about to hang up.

• dogue_lover
    14 years ago

On hold for 3 hours?? sounds very typical of Jandy's commitment to the non builder/customer or small guy. stay away from Jandy. they are useless when it comes to getting warranty repair or support. there are many other salt/chlorine generators out there. I will never buy another Jandy related product again!!

• Rack Etear
    14 years ago

"sounds very typical of Jandy's commitment to the non builder/customer or small guy. "

We are only on hold for 1-2 hours.

• rolingrock
    14 years ago

Jandy finally answered my call. They are alledgedly sending out a new aquapure 1400 cell and power chord at no charge. My question is, "what is the best chlorine generator out there?" The next time this Jandy generator fails, I want to replace it with a better system or go back to the chlorine stack.

• justin_kappasigma
    14 years ago

Iam trying to find out why my aquapure 1400 says low current. I just checked the DC cord and the prongs read; 3-5 on the sides and 40-45 in the middle. Those numbers are way off according to the troubleshoot site listed above. Did I check it wrong, do I need a new cord. Any help would be appreciated, Jandy customer service is no help haven't even got ahold of them yet.

• WilsonIII
    14 years ago

Just like Bob, my 4 year old Aqua Pure 1400 cell has what appears to be an overheated middle pin. The cable connector shows signs of melting too. The outer two pins look like new. Is this a known issue? I get a '121' error too.

From all I've been reading it's not worth contacting Jandy for warranty issues, and I certainly don't have hours of time to waste on the phone waiting for them.

Since I have the older model Aqua Pure 1400 cell I would have to upgrade and retrofit the new cell since it is slightly longer. Am I better off cutting my losses and switching to another brand, or should I invest in a new cell and cable for ~$700?

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Cut the losses and use get a Pentair or Auto Pilot if the pool is greater than 35000 gallons.

Scott

• azle
    14 years ago

I am having the same problem with my Aquapure 1400 cell, the middle terminal is black and degrading. When i check the voltage it reads 24 and there was small sparks when removing enough to check voltage. the cell is performing as it should. the middle terminal on my plug is melted and getting worse, my chemicals are spot on, thank you and please advise. Bary

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

So at least you know its coming. I stand by what I said in the post prior to yours.

Scott

• leohall
    14 years ago

Anyone know what the solution to this might be?

• rkey
    14 years ago

I have a Jandy 1400 Aqua pure cell and it doesn't seem to be generating chlorine. I have back washed the pool and at first I was getting a J6 code. After resetting the unit I get a continuous no flow reading. Any suggestions?

• Marcee Pauff
    14 years ago

My Jandy 700 cell needs to be replaced but I don't want to replumb for the new cell. :( If anyone knows any warehouses still stocking the old replacement cell, please let me know! :)

• cdclw
    14 years ago

looks like entire half side between the middle plates is blocked---tried acid wash, but no bubbling, and still looks blocked (very hard water)--- I am afraid to increase acid wash concentration--- should I let it soak til the blockage is gone? I don't get the bubbling chemical reaction that I have seen described, just a few gas bubbles.

tks

• cdclw
    14 years ago

actually, referring to last, i think that is part of the hardware halfway across the middle plates, isnt it?

• paul_synetra_net
    14 years ago

guys, I seem to be having almost the same issue as you guys are having - jandy 1400 chlor generator, doesn't seem to be producing chlorine - the chemicals in my pool are correct - cya is correct also - no error codes at all

I would like to talk to someone that has figured this issue out already - would you please email me? (paul@synetra.net)

thanks!

• mikethepoolguy
    14 years ago

In my experience with all brands of cg's if there is no error code then the unit is usually working. Something may be in the pool that is using the chlorine as fast as the cg can make it.
    I would suggest shocking the pool hard-30ppm with chemical chlorine. Then see if the cg can keep up.

• pdsorensen
    14 years ago

actually - I have done that - shocked it hard, twice - 24 hours in between, and now same problems,

any other advice??

thanks!

• pdsorensen
    14 years ago

mike - would you be willing to talk to me about this? - can I call you ? - if so, what is your ph num?

• ardvarkus_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

Boy, I feel like an idiot.

Purchased a Chlormatic in 1998, replaced a cell under 50% prorated warranty in 2001, replaecd a back board, then the cell went bad again in 2003. Replaced the cell. Then cell bad again, bought at Auqupure in 2007, replaced the front board and salinity sensor this year, now cell is bad.

Ive done ALL troubleshooting and installs. but now Jandy needs an 'authorized dealer' to handle the replacement. 28 months. Local dealer wants $505 with 'prorated discount' PLUS any install. Due to piping I need to rip out two Jandy 3-way valves (one motorized) to re-fit the cell to the new cell.

I am an idiot for buying the second Jandy.... and fixing the unit earlier this year.

WHAT SHOULD I REPLACE THIS WITH?

Thx

• saltypool
    14 years ago

My pure 700 cell is not working. I have cleaned it properly several times. It's over three years old.

1. Can anyone recommend a place where I can order a replacement cell.

2. Can anyone recommend a different brand of Salt chlor. for a pool which holds 20,000 gallons. (I live in South Florida.

Thank you,
    Jeffery

• stephenhowell_bellsouth_net
    12 years ago

I'm having issues with my Jandy APURE1400 as well....the cell was replaced under warranty once but I am getting the same codes (172, 182) as when it went out the first time...After reading this string, I am either converting back to chlorine or going with a less expensive Pentair....thanks for all the information.

• markmaruccia_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I had the same problem with my 1400. The DC cable melted at the connection to the cell. Upon inspection the middle prong had been reduced in half.

I just replaced the cell and cable but I am still getting "no flow". Can anyone provide a suggestion for further troubleshooting???

Thanks!

• rjnachuthan3_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a jandy aquapure 1400 and the service light is on. The service codes blinking are 172 and 185. I have checked the cell. it seems clean and I have scrubbed the sensors. Do I need a new one?

• wsint_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a Jandy aquapure 1400 and the salt reading is 25500 PPM it saids to check the aquapure general default. How do i do that. Thanks

• wsaint_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a Jandy aquapure 1400 and the salt reading is 25500 PPM it saids to check the aquapure general default. How do i do that. Thanks
    My e-mail was wrong wsaint@aol.com

• maosbrn_swbell_net
    12 years ago

I have an Aquapure 1400, am getting 120 and 121 error codes and the cell grid keeps coating up with CaCO3. All water conditions are within range except the Cl. Jandy sent me a replacement backboard but the problem persists. I have used a multimeter to test the transformer inputs. The 1-8, 2-7 and 3-6 tests are where they should be but the 4-5 test reads 60mVDC and it should read 120 mVDC. The output to the cell is 35 VDC but it should be in the range of 22 - 28 VDC. The old back board got similar readings. Do I have a faulty transformer?

• sankeryacht_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Trying to trouble shoot My Jandy 1400.
    1- not producing enough chlorine.
    A. Can it be one of the sensors?
    B. If I add salt will this help with the cloudy water?
    c. Tested water and Just a little below acid and a little below clorine.
    D. the message is saying that I need to add salt?

I'm running the pump 8-10 hrs per day,summer. I had a pool guy come over and tell me to re-place the whole system. I'd also like to know ,by adding salt what does this do?
    Thanks, mark

• barbdillingham_tds_net
    12 years ago

Getting error codes 120 and 121 on Aqua Pure 700 . Cell was cleaned did not appear to be dirty. Still getting error codes.

• John R-44
    4 years ago

I have a plc1400 and cannot reduce chlorine output on control. Stuck at 100%. Just install new cables and plc1400 unit a month ago and worked fine. Producing too much chlorine now. No error codes.