Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gammiesquiltes

Poolhouse/Cabana

gammiesquiltes
10 years ago

For two years I have looked at all of the great outdoor kitchens, pool houses and cabana, taking note of all the great ideas. This past Sunday we finally completed ours, just in time for Memorial Day. I will be adding pictures at I have time and would love to have your feed back. So much of the materials are recycled. The sink, faucet and stove top are from last years kitchen remodel. The corner cabinet and bar are from my sister in laws recent remodel. The upper cabinets and 2 other cabinets are from a, of all things, motorcycle club! It ice machine is from Craig's list. I will make other comments as I think of them.

Comments (21)

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View from back patio

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full view of kitchen

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grill converted to natural gas.

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cook top from kitchen redo.

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Microwave and sink, both from kitchen redo

This post was edited by gammiesquiltes on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 17:59

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Black paint, paint specks and poly

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ice machine from Craig's List

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another kitchen view

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Haunt" blue to keep haunts, birds and bugs away.

This post was edited by gammiesquiltes on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 0:30

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bathroom and changing room. Towel cabinet donated, baskets for bathing suits on top from swimming pool husband use to life guard at 48 years ago!

This post was edited by gammiesquiltes on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 0:32

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Life guard stand I had built for my former life guard husband.

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This pool house was built on a tight budget. We poured the slab last year. The size (18' X 28') was determined from the grassy area left from the L shape of the pool, we simply filled in the space and the pool and house make a rectangle now. A friend of my husbands framed the building and add the tongue and grove siding. Our son in law did all the wiring and plumbing. The lights and fans are reminiscent of the pool house at the swimming pool my husband life guarded at as a teenager. Our girls, nieces and nephews and their families spray painted everything on the building, kitchen cabinets and floor. About the floor, it is porch and patio paint with a non slip additive. As I said before, the cabinets are bits and pieces from here and there. 4 pieces are from my brother in laws motorcycle club, the corner cabinet and bar from my sister in law recent redo and 2 purchased new. We added bead board to the bar and painted all the cabinets the same and spray painted handles black. The bar is on casters so the grillers can move it for more counter space. The microwave, cook top and sink are from our kitchen redo. Several items in the kitchen are from Goodwill, and left overs from cleaned out cabinets after redos.

In the bathroom is a cabinet, another hand me down, filled with all our beach towels. On top are baskets from the swimming pool my husband use to life guard at, closed many years ago. The baskets are filled with bathing suits in lots of different sizes. When someones child out grows a bathing suit they pass it on to me. I don't want a child to not get to go swimming just because of a bathing suit. Over the toilet is a basket of sun screen, all on clearance. All of the Americana decorations are from 1/2 of 1/2 price sales after the forth of July the last several years. Several years ago we invested in 6 white plastic banquet 6' banquet tables and chairs which we can easily pull out, eat and put away.

The only two things left to do is install a hot water heater and big screen TV over the frig.

This post was edited by gammiesquiltes on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 0:37

• gaylek
    10 years ago

Very nice! And a great way to get it done! All those that helped will have a better appreciation for what goes into a facility! And they will take better care of it, I think! Good job! You are teaching some basic values to all involved. New isn't always the only way to go! Thanks for sharing!

• Lil B
    10 years ago

What a neat cabana! And I love how you put so much thought into it and made in function with the resources you had available! Makes the space even more fun!

• awoodwaring
    10 years ago

Totally adorable!

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Love this, so inventive! And this is much nicer than some neighborhood association pool houses I've been in! :)

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Looks like a fun spot. And well equipped. Nice work!

One word of caution...it looks like the grill is hard-plumbed to the gas line? If so, if that grill is still on wheels, even of they are locking castors, then I'd recommend anchoring the grill to the slab so it can't be moved around. Or knocked accidentally.

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mongoct, thanks for your word of caution, yes it is hard plumbed and no it doesn't have an anchor. That will be a project for this week! Thank you so much!

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

It's obvious that good, old fashioned, American ingenuity and hard work went into your pool house. I love it all.

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Follow-up on the floor paint. It is all peeling off! Before next season we will repaint after I have done a little more research on paints that will with stand this much water.

As for the pool house itself, we have only found one thing that we would have done differently, and we may still do it. We are considering pouring a small slab, attached to the current slab where the grill is and move the grill out from under the roof. The smoke can get pretty bad sometimes. I have seen very nice grill covers with shelves at Sam's. I would like to get one of those and have the slab poured the size of it. Other than that it is working like a charm. We have people from the community asking about it all of the time. Next to the pool, the best thing we could have done in the back yard.

• gammiesquiltes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With forecast of temps in the 100's for our annual Labor Day Shrimp Boil, we added misters around the pool house. It was amazing what a difference it made. It cost less than $100 and naturally, since I have discovered a way to do it for about $50! Still, it was a great investment, super easy to do and everyone just loves it.