Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andtrevmommy

Does StoneScapes or Pebble shen hurt your feet?

andtrevmommy
13 years ago

We are getting near the end of doing our pool. It is a 4 1/2 ft deep pool with spa and reef. There is going to be a lot of playing in this pool. We have kids from 3 to 14 and have 30 people over at a time. The last thing I want is for my guest feet to hurt or marks on our butts. I am so scared of this surface. We were going with just plaster but do have it in the budget to get StoneScapes surface. Thoughts? Will it hurt? HELP PLEASE!!!

Comments (16)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Pebble Sheen jobs are usually smoother than most plaster jobs. The crews for Pebble Tec are usually the best for miles around and follow best practices with no scrimping or shortcuts used. If the same company also does Stonescapes, I would like to think that the same types of workmanship exists.

Scott

• lvpools
    13 years ago

Just curious what makes you think the crews for pebble tec are usually the best for miles around?

• ajones
    13 years ago

andtrevmommy, for what it's worth, we had pebblesheen installed and have loved it from the beginning. from my experiences, it's not any different than playing volleyball or basket ball in a pool that has "normal" plaster. i've experienced both with little or no difference. the thing to keep in mind is the longer you are in the pool the softer your skin becomes and playing sports under those conditions lead to sore feet. my boys 24 and 29 along with myself have not had any issues. i can't speak for scott but i can tell you that my PB spoke highly of the PT/PS applicators meaning that PT/PS are very particular/picky on who they hire to apply that interior. hope this helps.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

To lvpools,

PT doesn't let just anyone that wants to sign up for their program. They are very particular and have dumped applicators that refused to meet the levels of proficiency and service they demand.

While their prices are higher and competition is increasing in the aggregate finish market, they recognize the need for differentiators like applicator skill, quality, service, and consistency.

I'm not saying PT is the only one to pick. There are other finishes and crews that do some fantastic work. There are a few good finishers by me and some that are the pits. By and large though, the PT authorized finishers are consistently excellent.

Scott

• lvpools
    13 years ago

I think that it is a bit misleading to say that pebble tec is the best because they certify applicators. There are many applicators who chose not to work with pebble tec. The certification also is a bit confusing to me. A company is certified not an individual, I personally know of dozens of plasterers who took part in certification, applied pebble tec for years and then left company A (pebble tec certified)and went to company B (not pebble tec certified)for financial/personal reasons. I also know of dozens of plasterers that left company B and went to company A for financial/personal reasons. Just my opinion, a smart customer will check with the contractors board, BBB, customer service based reporting agencies, and visual inspection of previous work. This will produce better results than shopping by name.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Points duly noted. The only people that are irreplaceable are customers. That is why companies are certified, not individuals.

Scott

• Lindsey_CA
    13 years ago

We did an owner-builder pool in 2004 (we live in the greater Sacramento, CA, area) and used Adams to do the Pebble Sheen. I was very impressed with everyone from the company. The installation crew was fantastic, the acid-wash-and-polish crew was fantastic, and we love the finish. It is very smooth, no rough spots at all. I equate the feel of Pebble Sheen to that of a basketball or football.

• thepoolexpert
    11 years ago

For a more rustic feel, give your pool or spa the natural beauty of a pebble-bottomed stream with a StoneScapes pool finish. An inviting selection of colors and textures allow pool owners to express their unique style. StoneScapes combines artistry with durability and comfort to create the perfect finish for any pool or spa. The recent trend toward an aggregate pool finish over pool plaster will add life to any swimming pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: StoneScapes

• natural_one
    11 years ago

^cool copy paste from their site "thepoolexpert"

I'd echo scott and push the true Pebble Technologies products. I've chipped out brand new stonescapes to replace it with true PebbleSheen. The difference is visible and tangible by touch as well. You get what you for, and you only pay the quality once.

• derektbaker
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but most of the comments are misleading sales pitches from professional installers and they understandably are going to have biased opinions. I would like to actually answer the question. I am a homeowner with a pool surfaced with Stonescapes mini-pebble. I will preface my comments with this, I love my pool. it is beautiful and the surface is durable BUT, and a big giant but, YES, unequivocally YES. these surfaces will scratch, cut and scrape your feet. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. the same goes for pebble tec These types of surfaces are rough. They are made up of, like the name implys, mini pebbles. No matter how well applied, like these guys will try to tell you, the surface of your pool is going to be rough. that being said, I will never go back to plaster. these types of surfaces are far superior to plaster in every way, but they are rough. they will cut your feet. especially the bottoms of your toes.

• ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

I have pebbletec in my pool of 8 years. It does not cut my feet nor the feet of my kids. It is rougher than plain plaster, but not to the point of scratching or cutting yourself. Maybe if you jumped in and ran your toes down the side of the wall... maybe.

• Jessica Reed
    3 years ago

Does anyone have experience with StoneScapes MiniPebble? And even better if you have experience with the “white” color of it. We’re deciding between plaster and the Stonescapes miniPebble. Micro pebble and CB are too much more expensive relative to the cost of plaster. We would go with the minipebble for sure if we weren’t worried about the roughness of it. We like to hang out in the pool a lot and also do exercises in the pool, so we might actually be “running” on the pool surface in the shallow end.

• Ashley Borg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Jessica Reed I just had StoneScapes Caribbean Blue Mini installed (by now you may have made a decision) and I am both happy and not happy with it. It is super durable and I don't find it uncomfortable at all to walk on. We only have a cocktail pool so there isn't a deep end, it's all bopping around on your feet and it's fine. I do however find that if I spend hours in the jacuzzi, that the backs of my legs are sore/uncomfortable the next day from sitting on the finish. That is where I wish we had plaster. We are in an area where plaster is not really an option though because of our huge range of temperatures (high desert so we get snow and above 100).

The color in particular is much more tan looking than I expected but the water color is a lovely medium warm blue. Its just on our step and Baja shelf that are a bit uninspiring and not what we expected.

• Helena Hakomaki
    2 years ago

Fo you have a pic? considering that color but wondering if its too dark?

• Tom
    6 months ago

Hi, anyone that has had stonescape mini pebble installed, do you experience cuts and scrapes on knees,, toes, tops of feet? Having problems with the contractor and they are not responding after saying they feel they did a good job but said they would fix it if we weren’t happy, but now we are being ignored. We are experiencing scrapes and cuts, breaking skin every time we swim.

The surface of the pool, some areas are better but the entire surface feels like very rough concrete. It’s definitely nothing like the sample in the showroom. So rough that I noticed it damages the edges of my pool brush.

Is this normal? I can’t imagine it is. Can anyone that has had the stonescapes mini pebble installed share if it is? Thank you in advance.