Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 yr old heater has a problem, what should I say to pool person?

Posted by ilene-84 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 17:38

We moved into our house 6 yrs ago. Two years ago our pool heater broke, we bought a new one from the pool person we use, a Hayward, I asked him about the warrantee, he said "he's the warrantee"...Long story short the other day when I walked out the backyard smelled like gas, I called him he came over said all was fine, I also called the gas company who sent someone to look, was told "manifold hose" had a leak (he put water with soap, I did see it bubble),he thought it would be under warrantee. The date on the heater was also surprising (3 yrs old), I called Hayward found out the warrantee was only 12 months. I called the pool person, for him to come out it will cost 150, plus parts, plus possibly extra time... figure looking at 300...Should I shop around to have this fixed? Should I use my pool person? Your thoughts will be appreciated. I didn't purchase heater at cheapest price because I trusted the pool company I'm using, but he did say he's the warrantee!! I don't expect him to fix it for free, I don't understand why a new heater is leaking gas either, or why he told us we don't have to "worry about a warrantee when we buy from him" his wife had us call Hayward, and is not saying anything is covered or discounted. Do you think this repair should be discounted? I wanted to charge the heater, he wanted cash (did get a receipt tax was added), but had I paid by American Express heater would still be covered. Please tell me what you think I should do...I'm confused, and do want/need a working heater.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 yr old heater has a problem, what should I say to pool pers

The fact that he did not know how to look for the gas leak bothers me, your pool guy should have done the soap test, thats step 1.

Get a second opinion or two, and quotes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here