Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
typea_gw

New Pool in Northern CA

typea
13 years ago

Well we did it. We signed the papers last night. Since starting all this the first week in February, the design and engineering is finalized, the HOA has been sufficiently silenced, building permits have been submitted, and we are submitting for pool permits this week.

Anyhow here is how is should all pan out.

Structure:

35'x27' Grecian raised 1' above grade

740 sqft x 118 perimeter ft

8' dia circular SPA w/Waterway jets raised 6" above pool.

Cabo Shelf

Finishes:

Pebble Fina Bella Blue

2" thick double bull nose travertine coping - Alpaca

Fujiwa Joya 601, 301, 101 waterline, accent, and spa tile

12x12 Travertine field tile for pool exterior and above waterline

Equipment:

Pentair Intelliflow VS3050

Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp for SPA

Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp for Water Features

Intellichlor IC40 (might upgrade to IC60)

Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater

Pentair CCP525 Filter

Polaris 1.5hp SPA blower

Pentair Shark Cleaner

Automation & Controls:

Pentair Intellitouch Load Center

Pentair Intellitouch Indoor Panel

Pentair i9+3 Personality Kit

Pentair MobileTouch Controller

Lighting:

3 Pentair Intellibrites in Pool

1 Pentair Intellibrite in Spa

Water/Fire Features:

48" Sheer Descent

Spa Spillway

2 Deck Jets

2 Automated Grand Effects Fire Bowls

Extras:

Auto-fill

Umbrella Posts in Cabo Shelf

450 gallons of Iced Tea to keep the crews in a caffeined flurry and the port-a-potty guy coming back

This is all part of a full backyard extravaganza that will include 2,600 sqft of outdoor living space and landscaping. The addition is broken up into a kitchen, massive covered area w/fire pit, and 2nd floor balcony. Needless to say I am not confident that we will be swimming this year unless we save for a massive gas bill and extra carbon credits.

When I get a chance I will post some pics. What's the best photo sharing site to use with this forum. Photobucket, Flickr, Shutterfly ...etc?

Comments (13)

• mixman1
    13 years ago

photobucket works really well...

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a rendering of the design

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are still making some final decisions on decking. Since there is so much decking to be done we are considering travertine pavers. It turns out that the cost is a little bit less than concrete if we turn it into a DIY project. Sure there is a bunch of labor involved but 2502 sqft of pavers seems doable. Backbreaking but doable.

However, I am unsure as to what the bonding requirements are since the steel in the concrete was supposed to bond with the pool to give it a ground Does something different need to be done when you use pavers or does this only apply when you have concrete and steel in the deck?

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

There are wire mats that some are required by some local building code officials to be used under the pavers that get tied to the bond. These codes dictate if the entire deck gets it or just to a certain distance from the pool.

The shell steel should be tied to the bond also, usually in multiple places. The pool's electricals like a pump, heater, etc... are also. Any hand rails, dive stands, lights,or ladders are attached.

Scott

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Progress Update:

Well we are moving closer. The GC and the PB met with us on Friday to hammer out some logistical details. After all the planning we still have some logistics issues to work out. In the process we've had some snags regarding the waterproof deck on the balcony that would balloon the costs out of control. So we've decided to put 1 1/4" travertine pavers everywhere there was originally concrete. In total 4,150 sqft including 5% loss.

I think it will be a better look and I get to cut the cancerous membrane contractor out of the job. Either he didn't completely understand the job or he was pulling the classic bait and switch. That means he didn't think it was important enough to specify the job or he thought we would just pay him double after the membrane was down and it needed a finish on it. Either way I feel like I dodged a bullet. It's a good thing that we didn't re-engineer for the lighter surface or we would have been screwed. My GC is just sick about it since he was part of his bid.

I looked into getting pavers from a local yard that wanted to order them from Peru for $9.20sf. The PB thought that was ridiculous too for the quantity required. For the look it probably wouldn't be too bad if I had a smaller area since I could get it delivered in smaller portions and it wouldn't require so much work to figure out how to get them here. Anyhow I've managed to find a source and shipper that can get them to us fairly quickly at a 1/3 of the price. I think it helps when you order 69,000 lbs of material and dedicate a couple of flatbed trucks to the job.

Unfortunately this will add some logistical problems since the pavers will come in 25 5'x5'x30" crates. With all the roofing material, lumber for the structure, and equipment, the job site will be pretty packed. I think I'll rent a forklift, take a couple of ACME testosterone pills, and stack them 2 high in the backyard.

According to the county we have to have the equipotential mats in place to pass the bonding inspection for the pool. This shouldn't be a problem if the bond mat is laid under the base material for the pavers but if it must be laid between the crushed rock and the sand then that will throw in some delays as the structure catches up to the pool build. I've read the NEC code on equipotential bonding and it does say that it may be laid in direct contact with the soil under the "base" material. However, all the pictures of the installation show it on top of the base under the sand layer. Anyone have any guidance here? I'll for sure verify this with the county but I want to make sure I am talking in the same language that the inspector is speaking in.

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

Quote, Well we are moving closer. The GC and the PB met with us on Friday to hammer out some logistical details. After all the planning we still have some logistics issues to work out. In the process we've had some snags regarding the waterproof deck on the balcony that would balloon the costs out of control. So we've decided to put 1 1/4" travertine pavers everywhere there was originally concrete. In total 4,150 sqft including 5% loss. Unquote>

We also went with 1.25 inch pavers over the concrete flooring so as to match the outside pavers and it came out great. Look at our pool build at http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/pools/msg0718532217198.html?21

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brent,

Love the pool! Looks like you screened the whole thing in to keep out your bird sized skeeters over there. We don't have that problem since we like to cook em in mid flight. I'm so jealous we'll break 100 again today and my backyard is a dirt patch.

I just can't wait until the truck pulls up with 69,000 lbs of ancient rock! I just need to figure out where I put 25 pallets of it. Maybe I'll put the port-a-potty in the neighbor's driveway. Think they'll notice?

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

typea, as you can see from our pics the back yard looked like a construction war zone. I think I counted 12 or 13 pallets of pavers and we have about 1800sq of pavers. You will definately need a large space to place them. Post pics when you get a chance.

• rice_rocket
    13 years ago

Yikes--that's a lot of rock! Hopefully it won't crack the driveway.

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah each pallet weighs just over 2,700lbs. We will be running them one at a time over the driveway into the backyard using a forklift. After it's installed I wonder if we will be able to see it from space!

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it's all starting to happen. The footings for the new addition are being poured today. Lumber delivery is on Monday and the pavers from Florida have been shipped.

Here are the crates just before they were loaded onto the truck. There are 25 crates in all. They will be placed on a rail car and arrive in the Roseville station on the 19th. A shipping company has been lined up to put them in two box trucks and deliver them to the house. From there I will rent a forklift and place them in the backyard. Seems like a lot of work but for the savings and the look it has been well worth it.

Alas however there is no pool progress yet since the lumber, roof tile, and pavers need to be stowed on the job prior to digging and plumbing.

• typea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a few pics of the progress/desctruction to the back of the house.

Foundation piers that the columns will sit on.

Space for the new pool and our newly installed outdoor bathroom.

• shorelinedesign
    12 years ago

Hello TYPEA,
    I am installing a pool and am trying to decide on tile and a finish. I was thinking of using the Joya tile by FUJIWA. How did your pool come out? Do you have any photos of it completed that you could share with me.
    Thanks!
    Sherri