Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_11

cracks in new gunite

jonathan_11
12 years ago

My dream of having my first backyard pool isn't going so well.

I contracted a very reputable (and still think so) pool company but with a week after the gunite was installed on April 12 I noticed 3 cracks going width-wise of approx 4-6 feet in length near the shallow end of the pool.

Over the next few weeks I noticed a few more cracks. One 4-6 feet in the deep end (5-6 feet) going in a horizontal direction. Another in the deep end going up the wall.

Earlier this week I noticed 3 more cracks on the walls in the shallow end extending from the direction of the 3 initial cracks.

In total I am now looking at 12-13 cracks in various parts of the pool from 2-7 feet in length.

My builder says he's never seen anything like it in his 20 years. When the pool was dug he commented that the soil, although mostly clay looked good and that he'd never had a problem in that kind of soil.

At about the 3 week point the gunite company sawed squares and chiseled down 1-2 inches to see how deep the cracks were. It was hard to tell but it looks like the cracks went deeper.

The outside of the pool was watered after the plumbing was installed and water seeped out of nearly all of the cracks.

Gunite people came back a few days later without my knowledge and chipped aways at the cracks and poured in some hydraulic cement and basically claimed problem solved. The cracks in the hydraulic cement have reappeared.

I read a similar story on this board where they used epoxy injection to fix the cracks. I was thinking this was a possible fix here until the several new cracks appeared and now I'm wondering if the gunite is seriously compromised and more cracks are likely to appear.

One pool person I talked with today suggested using a jackhammer and removing the concrete 1-2 feet around the cracks and reapplying the gunite. He said the beauty of gunite is that it will bond with new gunite at any age. He's done this many times adding spas to old pools.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, for the 5 days after gunite went in I faithfull watered every inch of the pool 5-6 times a day.

As soon as I figure out how to add pics I will.

Thanks.

J

Comments (13)

• jonathan_11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are a few pics of the first few cracks -

You can see water secreting from cracks.

• lmhall2000
    12 years ago

Ooh, I'm not liking this...I would almost want a complete redo...to me, cracks like this could be a sign that the shotcrete company did not have the right mix put together...too little of something or too much of something...you're paying a lot of money, I would have the shotcrete people out to your house with the pool person..and one other 'expert'...(non-partial expert) and have a mano e mano discussion. Get it ALL in writing and do not let them put pebble sheen on top of that...I would also call the pebble sheen people...as this may void their warranty (if you're using that product)...I'm one to do the hard work up front to save you loads of headaches in the future!
    Good luck!
    Tara

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

How old is this shell? Has anyone told you and did you follow through with watering at least a couple times, preferably three times a day?

What is it sitting on?

• jonathan_11
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Poolguyny, gunite was shot on April 12, about 7 weeks ago. Yes, I watered thoroughly 5-6 times a day for 5 days exactly what gunite co. instructed.

J

• golfgeek
    12 years ago

jonathan 11,
    Anytime there is unsually cracking of a shell it is a good idea to contact the engineer who provided the structural plan for the pool. A meeting with the PB, gunite contractor, material supplier, and the engineer would be appropriate.
    Other non-structural reasons for the cracks might include:
    They could be shrinkage cracks. If the ground under the shell is excessiely dry, it can draw moisture from the gunite causing this type of cracking.
    The floor cracks could be tooling problems from working a little rebound into the floor.
    I've seen terribly checked gunite surfaces that are not structural. Usually, these instances occur in extreme temperatures of high heat.
    Good luck.

• jamiesutton
    7 years ago

did you ever resolve this issue? did they use an epoxy or demo/reshoot the gunite?

• PRO
    www.SwimmingPoolSteve.com
    7 years ago

Surprisingly in most areas engineering is not required for pool building. If you had an engineer he would have inspected the ground that the pool was built on - perhaps there was a problem here after all. Do you have any pictures before the shell went in?

As far as a pool shell goes, this one is a total failure. If I had to make my guess I would say that the concrete company used too much water in the mix instead of using water reducer to achieve a slump suitable to pump. (clarification, gunite is concrete that is dry pumped and water added at the nozzle, shotcrete is ready mix concrete that is pumped wet through the lines, most pools are actually shotcrete but incorrectly referred to as gunite - which do you have?)

Too much water in the mix would cause cracks in the final product similar to what you see here. The first thing you should do is have the concrete cored and tested for strength. I am thinking you will find the answer to your problems with the results from this test. If I had a problem like this the ready mix supplier would come out right away and test the concrete strength. Any problems with the finished strenght and they would be footing the bill for re and re of this entire shell. You need to know who was mixing this concrete, who was adding water, whether you have shotcrete or gunite, and what the compressive strength of the cured concrete is.

I would not settle for epoxy injection or anything like it - this pool shell is simply not good enough.

• dantran1010
    7 years ago

I too have a similar situation with my Shotcrete shell that was shot in November. What was your resolution to the problem?

• Sara Chandler
    5 years ago

I too have similar water seeping in from below the concrete shell of my under-construction pool. What was the outcome in your situation? My cracks are over 10' long, fine cracks with weeping brownish or yellowish water. Also around the drain. The builder says they are "superficial" but we don't think so....What should we do?

• lincoln C9
    3 years ago

Can someone please update their post and let us know what was the outcome? were their cracks 'normal' or did you have to 'redo' or 'fix'??

• lincoln C9
    3 years ago

my situation is a bit different; they shotcrete my pool and it came out awesome! no cracks/nothing. But it was discovered the next day when I walked IN the pool, that they got the shallow end wrong. So they needed to build up the shallow end by adding anywhere from 2" - 8". I asked if there was a problem by doing this, like prone to cracking or anything like that? they said no. So they came, added the correct height, and almost 4-5 hour after they left, tons of cracks have showed up. I dont know if this is OK? will this show up later when they do the plaster? is there anything I need to worry about here or insist that they do? like seal the cracks or anything? or is this normal and will just be fine?

Images are from day after.
    (yes, I've been watering on schedule 3-5 times a day)

Here is the entire section the added later:

I appreciate any feedback.

• Mrksens SaIyan
    last year

what was outcome?