Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New here...need pool finish advice

Posted by Tina2011 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 17:27

I am looking for your opinions on the best (for longevity & ease of care) smooth aggregate or 100% quartz finish products. There are so many choices out there! CLI products, Wetedge, Pebble Tec, etc...

We have a quote for Pebble Fina from a PB, but want to know if there are products out there with a little bit more color varation in the finish, but still just as smooth (for similar or lesser cost). Thoughts?

Would love to get something like Beadcrete, but just cannot afford it.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New here...need pool finish advice

Tina - I am not a pool finish expert, but have talked to several PBs recently about this topic. The impression I got from most is that Pebble Tec, River Rok, Wetedge etc. are all pretty much the same in terms of product quality and longevity. Obviously bigger rocks (Pebble Tec) have a more rough surface and smaller Pebble Sheen and Fina are smoother. Some PBs have a deal with Pebble Tec to only use them, but we found that Pebble Tec was overpriced. We went with River Rok. I agree, the Beadcrete looks great, but very expensive.

Also remember to read the fine print on the warranty. Most PBs told us that yes, they have a 10 year warranty, but will likely find a way to get out of it (daily pool chemistry readings required, etc). However, most did say that the aggregate finishes have lasted a long time. I read on here somewhere that the blue color in some of the plasters of aggregate finishes fades over time, but have not confirmed that.

Hope that helps a little.

DocZ

o

We recently had our new pool finished with River rok. I can't speak to longevity since it was only finished 6 weeks ago, but I can tell you it's not rough on your feet. We find it very comfortable. Also, so far it's been great at resisting stains. We've had a few windy thunderstorms that have blown all kinds of debris into the pool, and some of it initially left brown stains. Given that it's brand new, I panicked, scrubbed at them with a brush and they wouldn't come off. But within a day, they disappeared on their own.

o

Welcome Tina2011!
We had Pebble Sheen recently and are very happy with the smooth feel and application process. Pebble Tec applicators have to maintain excellent standards to continue to apply the product. In the Houston area we only have a couple. You might want to check with them in your area and find out if they deal with your PB. A poor relationship with a good contractor may be a red flag to you regarding how the PB treats/pays his contractors and deals with pool owners.

o

beware pebble fina.. it's hard to get an even appearance to the finish..I should have went with pebble sheen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here