Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

True Ocean Blue - photos for your entertainment

chiefneil
16 years ago

I thought it might be fun to compare true ocean blue to my ocean blue pebblesheen. Of course everybody knows the ocean is many different colors, but this is kinda fun anyway.

This first one is my favorite - the ocean this day, in this spot, was an amazing surrealistic blue.

{{!gwi}}

How's this for comparison?

Here's another nice one - the sun was at a low angle when this photo was taken.

{{!gwi}}

It compares pretty well with this one.

Lots of nice shades of blue here.

{{!gwi}}

This one is pretty close.

And one last one for fun.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (27)

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

So jealous! Your pool is beautiful, but you are making me wish I was on the beach somewhere. I am holding out for August when I will be in San Diego. :)

The comparison is spot on by the way! Beautiful resemblence. I hope my Stonescapes Caribbean makes me feel like I am in the Caribbean!

• banana_fanna
    16 years ago

I covet the pool color AND your inground tramoline. (I have an earlier post showing pics of your pool and yard bookmarked :-)

Question about the trampoline - did you put a sump pump in the hole? Also, what did you use to shore up the sides of the hole? Did the landscape company do the digging & shoring for the trampoline?

And since this *is* the pool forum, guess I should post a pool question...on the shallow areas of your pool (steps, shelf, etc.) what color does Ocean Blue look like? I'm definitely choosing Ocean Blue for the pool but am thinking about using a sandy color for the shelf and steps - to try to replicate picture 5 of your post. However, the pool builder says the steps and shelf will be considerably lighter anyway even if all done in OB just because of difference in water levels. Your opinion? It matters cuz you have excellent taste. (again referring to your picture post of several months ago.) Thanks.

• sharlanet
    16 years ago

I knew I was in for a treat when I saw a post by you with "photos" in the title. Beautiful pics and I still love your awesome pool. One of my favs!

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aw shucks, you guys are too nice!

Banana_fanna, I live in the desert so water is not a big concern. So no sump pump, although there are some big weeds growing under there now! I would recommend a pump or some sort of drainage if you live in an area that gets a decent amount of rain.

The steps and shallow areas of the pool look black. If you want to simulate a sandy entry, then using a light brown color would definitely be the way to go. Here's a photo of the steps - this was a before and after I made when getting an acid-wash so just ignore the photo on the right.

{{!gwi}}

• cathouse9
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Maui?

• Boby Huffard
    16 years ago

Your pool really is a work of art, and your photos are always appreciated.
    Boby

• houseful
    16 years ago

AAAHHH! Wish I was there now! Even with a pool now, I am having trouble tolerating this heat.

That is an amazing comparison (your whole yard is amazing)! Thanks for the photos :)

• last_mango
    16 years ago

What a fun comparison - great job. Hmmmm, now maybe I'll have to dig up boating photos to compare with pool photos... I'm partial to the blue/green shoreline myself - lovely.

• sharon1
    16 years ago

Your pics always make me want to live in AZ. We just got back, are you near Troon North? The mountain views are gorgeous.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carenlynn - good eye! These photos are from a trip to Maui we took a few years ago. It just occurred to me to dig them up and compare the colors.

bobyoe, houseful, last_mango - thank for the compliments! They're always appreciated.

Sharon1 - another good spotter! Yup, we're up near Troon. It's really beautiful up near the mountains. Although the heat is still brutal, at least we're a few degrees cooler than Phoenix. But that just means instead of 112, it's been 109 the past couple weeks :-(

banana_fan, I forget to mention that yes, my landscaper did the trampoline. The inside of the pit is lined with mortared cinderblock. I think they charged about $800 for the trampoline plus the installation. I fought it for the longest time, but my landscaper wore me down (every day for four months "did you change your mind on that trampoline yet?"). Now I consider it one of the best features of the house, as DD used it almost daily for the first year, and still uses it at least 2-3 times a week.

• houseful
    16 years ago

How many years do you think you'll get out of the trampoline with this sun?

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good question, since I've had Rubbermaid storage containers disintegrate after a couple years. The trampoline is still looking ok after two years. It's easy to replace the main mesh part since it's just attached with hooked springs to the outside frame.

Sunbrella fabrics last forever, so here's hoping that the trampoline is made of a similarly durable material. Maybe it is now that I think of it, due to liability issues (a kid breaking through and getting injured would be a manufacturer's nightmare). I think the straight trampoline runs around $200 - $300; my landscaper said he buys them at Costco and cuts the legs off for the in-ground install.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I got to your pool pictures by way of your new office bookshelf and desk :) You've done a great job capturing the essence of the ocean's blue hues. The Caribbean was my inspiration for the color scheme of our new master bath. The floors and walls will be the color of a Caribbean beach and the accent glass tiles will be "Sea Tones" from Bel Sol.
    Monica

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

Question about the trampoline - did you put a sump pump in the hole? Also, what did you use to shore up the sides of the hole? Did the landscape company do the digging & shoring for the trampoline?

Ours is also in-ground w/ cinderblock (DIY). In the center we have a 6 ft deep x 6" wide hole filled w/ rocks for drainage.
    As for the trampoline itself, we're on our 2nd in 5 yrs. They don't last forever. We pd $200 for the last one. We assembled it without the legs, no cutting necessary.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi monicakm, thanks for the compliment!

Skinny - no, no sump pump necessary in Phoenix. When it rains a couple inches we all rejoice! The sides of the hole are cinderblock. My landscaper did everything - he also built my block fence and did the pillars for the pool, so his guys are pretty experienced with block work. Your trampoline looks great; I like the crushed bark around it.

• mdoceanblu
    16 years ago

Great pics. Any action shots of the owners doing flips with a Turborita in hand? ;-) Now whose pool/finish on the board matches this water from another part of the globe?

• steve_fl
    16 years ago

Hows this for a match

Here is a link that might be useful:

• steve_fl
    16 years ago

Let's try this again

• mdoceanblu
    16 years ago

Where's the waves? ;-)

• beachdiva
    16 years ago

mdoceanblu - that's looking like Caribbean water you're trying to match. I don't want to hijack this thread, but since you asked, I think these are worthy entries ;-)

No turborita jumping pictures to add ;-)

• felixfarm
    16 years ago

Wow, very nice guys. Great pics.

• thejimbar
    16 years ago

This is close.....

• cathouse9
    16 years ago

The only body of water my pool matches is my pond - but that was by design. We didn't want a blue hole next to our black hole :)

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice pools guys! And I love that pond, carenlynn. Do you have fish in there?

• mdoceanblu
    16 years ago

Ditto. Beautiful pools and landscaping. In the summer when growing up, we always wondered why the neighbor's pool always matched the pond behind our home. It wasn't by design. They just didn't add chlorine. I swear it gave off an evil green glow. LOL

• cathouse9
    16 years ago

Yes there are fish (koi). Waaaaay too many. We had 4 up until last summer when they procreated. We've given away about 25 this year, but still need to find homes for 40 more! Any takers? Caren

• bayarea4
    16 years ago

Chiefneil, your pool is still one of my very favorites. So beautiful!

-April