Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Handrails and Ladders

Posted by doyline (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 16:01

I noticed there are not very many handrails or ladders in the pics of the finished pools. Mostly they are on the vinyl liner pools. Does anyone know why this is? We are building a vinyl liner pool, and I am curious. Do I not need a handrail?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Handrails and Ladders

doyline,
The vinyl liners don't lend themselves to accomadate benches. Metal walls would require special design and perfect measurements for the vinyl.
There are probably some out there. But it won't be the norm.
Most gunite pools will not have rails. It's mostly the asthetics.

o

Mine has the steps and rails, but it was built in '61. They do seem to be unfashionable, but they remind me of my childhood in groovy mid century pools so I don't mind. (I was not a mid century child--just the neighborhood!)

o

You can do whatever you want. But if you have a deep end pool you must have a exit point from the pool regardless of the material used. Look at the link below of some of the examples that you can do today with a liner pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool examples

o

Our deep in is 6 ft. There is a 8' acrylic Sunledge with Stepout on one side. So I guess I really don't need a ladder down there. A handrail at the shallow end would be up to me.

o

Have you looked at the colored corrdinating rails?

o

We don't have a ladder in the deep end because we have a swimout, but we did have them install a hand rail at the entry steps. It can be removed, but it's not something you'd do regularly. We kinda like it, so it'll probably stay in. The idea was that when my FIL visits using his walker, he might be able to get into the pool with the hand rail and maybe a cane or some help.
But we had to pour the concrete base for it before they put the pavers down. It has two posts about 6" apart, and looks like a "P" that has been pinched out and elongated, and hangs over the pool. No attachments inside the pool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here