Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to back wash ?

Posted by billarch (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 15:52

We changed over to a sand filter a few years ago (from a DE) and I do not think I have mastered the length of time it takes to back wash.

Everthing I have read says that the view vial will be cloudy and to backwash until it is "clear". I also check with a glass jar at the end of the backwash hose.

Some writings say 2 - 3 minutes, others say at least 5 minutes.

My question is: HOW clear? Just until it is "not cloudy", OR so that there are NO particles in the backwash water. It seems like it takes forever until the water is absolutely particle free. I fear I am being too anal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to back wash ?

You just have to backwash until the water in the glass is clear, there may be some particles still in the bottom of the glass. This usually takes just a minute or two. Then when you rinse, those particles may be washed out of the glass but it doesn't matter, again rinse until water is clear, usually 20-30 seconds. Then switch back to filter.

o

Clear Cloudy Clear in the site glass and your done then rinse as stated above....

o

thanks, looks like I've doing it too long

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here