Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

arctic white pebble sheen

rockybird
9 years ago

I am changing the plaster out in my pool to pebble sheen. After 2 yrs., it is already cracked. It also is terribly mottled. I have a MCM home and thought white plaster would be appropriate for a midcentury home. Does anyone have experience with arctic white pebble sheen? Is this a good choice for a simple, sleek pool (60 ft.x 14 ft) for a mcm home? I dont want the surface to look busy. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your response! This makes me feel so much better! Do you have any pics of your pool, since it is also a mcm home?

My parents have been shopping for an mcm home with a view in PS. Wow! There are some amazing homes out there!

• deborah_ps
    9 years ago

I just now took these, the landscaping has just gone in and I can hardly wait for the vines to cover the wall. It's always something it seems:-)
    We had limited space to build, so have a very small pool. But frankly I don't need much, any body of water is a plus here :)
    My favorite part is the 12'x8' x6" Baja tanning shelf. The pool is only a month old yet that seems to be where everyone wants to hang out!

Do your folks live in the area or are they snowbirds? Lots of MCM homes or condos to choose from here, so much luck to you both!
    Post photos as your project comes together :)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love your pool! I very much like the baja shelf! I also like the patio. Is that artifical or real grass? I am looking at putting a 60 ft. strip of real grass in front of the pool. I was going to use artificial, but think it might be too hot.

My parents have a condo in Bermuda Dunes on a golf course and come down 1-2x per year. They have been looking for a couple yrs. for a mcm home with lots of glass and views, but they are not sure if they should choose Arizona (where I live) or PS.

I will definitely post pics. when it gets done. It's a remodel of a 60 ft. lap pool I put in two yrs ago. Unfortunately, the plaster is cracking, the pool decking is poorly done, etc.

• deborah_ps
    9 years ago

Wow, you must be sick about having to deal with redoing a basically new pool. Did you have any idea there could be issues at the time you built?
    Are you using a salt water system? Or?
    Have you decided to use the arctic white PS?

We used artificial grass in between the concrete...having grass clippings in the pool wouldn't do :) and since our water is hard here the sprinklers would have stained the concrete in no time.
    We had sticker shock at the cost of the grass, yet chose a bit higher end product have it look as close to " real" as possible. And it does look pretty real. We've had some fun banterings about the plastic lawn though.
    Hot? You betcha! But we had to choose one evil over the other and we are easily able to avoid the 6" strip on those scorching days. Although as you know hotter days are right around the corner. We've learned to turn our sandles over at the pool edge due to the sun beating down on them... Just more hot plastic ;-)
    I bought an aerator that attaches to an eyeball on the ledge, hopefully it will cool the water a bit during the summer months...if not it sounds refreshing :-)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I am angry, but to be honest I am also unhappy at the look of the pool. I had an architect design it and it does not look mcm. It is a 60 ft. x 14 ft. lap pool. But on one side there is a peninsula with water that is bordered by two brutalistic hunks of concrete that jut into the pool. I am using this opportunity to get rid of these also. It will then be a long lean lap pool with a hot tub - more fitting for the house. You can also see the coping is not even.

I'm still waiting for the sample from the pool contractor, but I am pretty sure I will go with arctic white. I will post pics when it is in.

I will have potentially have a 40-60 foot x 12 foot long (on left in pic below) area adajacent to the pool. I was thinking of using artificial grass, but I am afraid it will be too hot. I am seriously considering putting in real grass or a desert garden. Having real grass would be great for laying on, but not sure about the upkeep.

Forgot to add - it's salt water.

This post was edited by rockybird on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:04

• kathy95
    6 years ago

Deborah, I love your Blue Granite pool with the Abalone! We are in the midst of our pool build and I need to pick a color and was considering the Blue Granite with Abalone and Luminous, so your pictures are helpful. I also like the color of your patio, do you remember the name of the color and finish?