Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High nitrates...drain? tips/helps

Posted by neen01 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 15:33

We have a 35,000 gal concrete pool. We found out the nitrates are high, 58 after draining down a foot below the skimmers twice. The pool store I just brought the water sample to this time said the only way is to completely drain it.
He said there are plugs to take out as soon as we can get to them to make sure it balances the water table.
Is this something we can do or should we get someone to come do it?
How aggressive do we have to be in getting the bottom plugs out?
If water comes up after we take them out do we just leave that water in or try to pump that out as we are filling it up?

Has anyone drained it for this or other reasons?
Can I just use the waste on the filter pump or should we get a pump from home depot (that is all i found online when looking into this but I thought we could just turn the filter to waste and do it that way).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High nitrates...drain? tips/helps

Why do you need to drain?

High nitrates or phosphates can surely feed algae, but with proper chlorination, algae wont form.

There is a super handy chart at trouble free pool dot com.
For some reason this site is blocking me from posting the link, which is nuts, that pool site is incredible and I have never seen spam from them.

try googling "cya chlorine chart"

o

The chlorine binds with the nitrates and becomes inert - we have shocked the pool and the chlorine is still at 0. We can keep it this way but would use a lot more chemicals to maintain it.

If we did not hit water when we built, are we probably going to be ok with the water table now?

o

It even says on that website
"At very high CYA levels, over 80, a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA level is usually required."

o

You didn't finish shocking. Something is in the water. Anytime free chlorine combines with something, be it
bio-badies or tanning lotions, it becomes inert.

Nitrates mean zilch. Killing the algae before it can eat solves any issue there.

If its a bio-badie, the time spent draining and refilling will give the bio-badies the opportunity to reproduce.

If you have a salt cell, your CYA is perfect at 80. If you are tablet fed and not in the Southern latitudes, then diluting will be needed to reduce the CYA level.

With your current level of CYA, bring the FC level to about 40 and hold it there until you can pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you can take the calcium, cal-hypo can be used. I prefer using bleach (6%) or chlorinating liquid (12%).

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here