Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecinajjanice_gw

Pool Depth....advice please!

ecinajjanice
9 years ago

Hello.
I posted this in another thread but since realized it was old and may not get looked at. I have read some really great advice and I am thankful for it. We ordered our pool last night, I still have time to change things and just wanted to run this by everyone for your wisdom.

Firstly, the main users will be adults and children in the 10-13 year age, who are good swimmers. We do entertain a bit, but the main usage will be for going down the slide, jumping off the side (not diving, more cannon ball style) floating, games such as volley ball, hoops, etc. and goofing around.

Based on the info above I decided on a 18x36 rectangular, 3.5 feet (3 feet of water) for 8 feet (platform) and then a slope to 6.5 feet (6 feet of water) at the end. We are going with the corner stairs for entry in the shallow.

We are also going with a systematic automatic pool cover. I am trying to decide between grey or charcoal for the color.

It was suggested to me to put in a pool filler which costs about 350, my pool guy commented that the only thing about that is you may not be made aware of a leak with that unless your water bill spikes.

Any suggestions, or thoughts?

The questions that come to mind are:
Should I go with 8 feet or 10 feet of a "platform" before starting the slope? Will you notice a difference in the slope with either?

Is the pool filler recommended?

Is it better to get a lighter grey cover due to fading and looking dirty?

I read some people comment that 6' is useless...too shallow to dive but too deep to do anything. Do you feel that way? If diving is not going to happen, how deep does it need to be for cannon balls and jumping into for kids and adults?

Any thoughts or wisdom is appreciated. As all of you, I am really trying to get this right for our family.

Thanks!!, :)