Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahbear

Annoying bird poop in pool area.....Solution?

kahbear
15 years ago

I have been having a bird poop problem around my pool area. The birds are flying over the pool and pooping all over the patio and in the pool. They are eating these dark purple berries from Ivy and thus their poops are dark purple. The other day I went out there and the patio area was covered in this stuff. I hosed it all down and got it clean only to have it bombarded again a few hours later. So quite accidentally I think I hit upon a solution! We were having company over the weekend and for decoration I blew up a very large inflatable alligator and turtle. These two inflatables have quite menacing faces and the wind blows them around the pool randomly. No birds or poop since!!!!!! I hope this continues to work. They also scare my two dogs who stand at the waters edge and bark and growl at them. It's too funny!

Kurt

Comments (10)

• ga_mom
    15 years ago

Thanks! I'll have to keep your solution in mind in case I end up with that problem! Glad you found something that works!

• Luv My Conifers
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this! Our new pool is scheduled to be done in the next week or two, and I am already seeing the same problem on our brand new concrete decking. There is a nearby mulberry tree that the birds just love and are dropping purple all over the place! I will have to search for an alligator! :) Could you possibly post a pic of what it looks like? Thanks! Laura

• kahbear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Go to Pooltoys.com they have the turtle and alligator listed under inflatable animals. They are pretty large.

Kurt

• barco
    15 years ago

This is what you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: End Bird Poop

• tresw
    15 years ago

Hilarious!! I've never seen that before, but did a quick search and apparently it's called the "Scarecrow" (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarecrow

• barco
    15 years ago

Yeh, I created one of those for my front yard about 15 years ago to keep the dogs and cats off...it actually turned on the entire sprinkler zone and also had a switch for a buzzer to go off if I wanted to as well. I city inspector who inspected my electrical had a grin on but I could tell he thought I was nuts.

I guess I should have patented the idea.

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

kahbear - in case those inflatibles stop working, a hotel I went to every summer had a pool very close to the ocean...within 100 yards or less. They actually had thin guy wires that stretched from the third level from different positions across the pool to a pole that was fixed to the pool house on the other side of the pool. They had a lot of fly-bys from the seagulls, but I never saw any mess around the many years I went there, and believe me, seagulls can make a huge mess very quickly.

• kahbear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the other suggestions.......I was hoping not to have to hook up the scarecrow on the patio. But if that's what I have to do I will. jimtnc, I've actually heard of people stringing those lines up and thwarting the birds that way. We will se how long before they aren't afraid of the inflatables anymore. Hopefully the berries will be all eaten here before too long.

Kurt

• jbrian7688
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have an alligator in my pool and a bird just pooped all over it... The alligator does not work ...someone told me to get those round silver birthday helium balloons and tie them all around the pool at different heights and the birds will stop Flying over