Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncleboney

Fence regulations in The Woodlands

UncleBoney
9 years ago

Pool is about done. Need an aluminum fence across the back. All nature reserve behind us owned by The Woodlands.

Can I do a 4' aluminum fence? What about a 54" lock requirement? Want a gate for certain. The regs read a 4' fence is the requirement, it seems?

Also, any names of a good fence guy? We want a fence with character, not plain black.

How about color advice to blend in with the woods?

Comments (7)

• UncleBoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read further about the "release mechanism" being 54" high in the International Residential Code.

Is there a lock release that goes on a 48" fence that extends vertically an extra 6" to qualify?

I really want a minimal fence exposure and would love a 48" fence with a gate if I can figure out how to do it compliantly.

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

I used Bison fence and would not recommend them at all. Rios fence off 1488 has a good reputation and I almost went with them but they were way behind. I did an iron fence out front and wood in the back and sides. I moved from The Woodlands to Mostyn Manor which is right past Rios Fence Company. Many of the fence builders were way behind so that might play a factor in who you choose. Make sure you do any gates well big enough for any type of mower, stump grinder, etc. you might want back in the yard. I had to take a tree down and it wasn't big enough for the stump grinder. I told Bison I wanted my iron gate large enough for a Bobcat to get through and they made it the exact width so it wouldn't fit. I had to take the gate down and the posts that were in concrete out. Now, it has to be redone at my expense.

All the fence guys wanted to do iron as they said it was better, forgot the price difference. Bison kept telling me their fence was different than all the others and they had to get the material out of state which is why it took so long. I'm happy with it overall, just took way longer than promised.

I finally had my pool dug yesterday and rebar scheduled for Monday, gunite Thursday if all goes as planned. Weather looks good so hopefully pool builders have a great week.

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 11:14

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

What is your state or local pool fence requirement?

Whatever it is, do it. If it violates what The Woodlands wants, tell them to take it up with the laws.

I doubt it's 48 inches if the lock has to be 54".

• UncleBoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. There are locks called Magnalatch which rise 10" above the fence. The Woodlands reg says at least 48" plus meeting International Code. International code says 48" for the fence but a gate has to have a locking mechanism at 54".

Anyone have practical experience with this question?

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Find your local Woodlands regulation nazi... my sister used to be one:) A long time ago though so things may have changed. Requirements vary from village to village- sounds like you may be in Creekside. Nice area.

• UncleBoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks musicgal. I am going to call them tomorrow. Problem is some of them are not all that friendly. We are in Alden Bridge. My hope is that I can reach someone strong enough to give a firm opinion.

• UncleBoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Official Answer for The Woodlands.....should be the same in most of the US

48" fence is the minimum height, 45" minimum between the bars, 4" max between the bars. For a gate, the locking mechanism must be at 54". It CAN be a device like a Magnalock which I got on Amazon.

Since we have woods in the back, this is perfect for a minimal impact.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA