Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolnoob

Newbie - Inner Houston - Small Lot

poolnoob
14 years ago

While there is some excellent info here and there are some good anecdotes regarding Houston Pool Builders, most comments seem to refer to areas outside the Beltway and some PBs seem to stay in their areas.

We live in Willowbend (couple blocks outside of Loop 610 just past Bellaire/Meyerland), and the house takes up most of the lot. We have a 30' x 30' space available, plus a 15' x 20' patio that would come out and be replaced if a pool is installed.

There are no children and it would primarily be used for floating/sun/relaxing. Obviously, the space is too small for an exercise pool. We are interested in aesthetics such as LED lighting, etc.

Questions:

(1) Can a functional, aesthetically pleasing pool be installed in such a limited space?

(2) Can anyone recommend a PB who focuses more on inner Houston areas? (Quality and hands-on is more of a concern than price.)

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (15)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Sounds like a fiberglass shell candidate. Is there a way for an excavator to get in and dig, room for a dump truck?

Scott

• poolnoob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes. I'm replacing the fence between me and my neighbor at the same time. She is 92 and said I can do what I want as long as I pay for it. So, there should be room to get in and out.

Never heard of a fiberglass pool - just hot tubs.

Chris

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

There are any makers of fiberglass pools. Some are better than others. Some are crap. Hey, just like builders, cars, or anything else.

Scott

• tfons1219
    14 years ago

Not sure of the builder, but a friend of mine with a townhouse near Memorial Park had what they call a "cocktail pool." It was about 10' square - sort of a big spa. It was so tight they had to hand dig it...but it looked great.

It was traditional gunite like they do in Houston all the time - we don't use too much fiberglass here - I don't think our crappy soil does nice things to fiberglass.

• lala2874
    14 years ago

Take a look at Sunshine Pools. They are inside the loop (I think) and it looks like they build beautiful pools. Their website has lots of small and large pools. I don't know anything about them, I just did a search on google for houston pool builders. Good rating on BBB although they do not seem to be BBB members.

• poolnoob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Sunshine Pool reference. The website does show a lot of custom looks, so they probably could offer some ideas for the space. I'll research them further and tentatively add them to the quote list.

• poolnoob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tfons1219,

If you find the name of the PB let me know. My sister-in-law has had several people out and they say their available space is too small (they are at Barker Cypress & 1-10 area).

Thanks,
    Chris

• loves2read
    14 years ago

fiberglass pools have the possibility to float up when there is too much water in the ground--
    that would seem to make them a poor choice for Houston's wet weather

• womanowned
    14 years ago

Someone who specializes in small spaces inside the Loop is Karen Bishop with IP Design (I am not her). I build in the suburbs and refer my intown work to her.

• poolnoob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, womanowned. I looked at their website and I do believe that they too would be a good candidate to interview. I'll add Karen to my list.

• livinthelife
    14 years ago

Check out Gulf Coast pool co. I know they build in your area. www.gulfcoastpoolcompany.com Good luck.

• tfons1219
    14 years ago

It was Texas Pools - located in The Woodlands TX. Not a recommendation, but they did a nice job on this one pool.

• poolnoob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the follow up, tfons1219. And livinthelife, I have seen some other comments about Gulf Coast that seem positive. I'd like to narrow it down to 3 for an estimate, so I need to do some further research.

Also, a friend in Clear Lake said Cascade Pools did their pool as well as their next door neighbor's pool. Both seem very satisfied. Anyone have any problems with Cascade?

Thanks,
    Chris

• andrew888
    9 years ago

Hi, I found this thread doing an internet search and am hoping to bring it back to life and maybe see if poolnoob is still out there.

I live in inner loop Houston too (West U) and am thinking of putting a small pool or cocktail pool in my itty bitty backyard. I know it's not a great investment but I have 4 small kids and I think it would be a lot of fun for us.

Was wondering if any of you out there have experience with this in Houston and have any advice about a pool builder or any other wisdom to share. I was thinking of seeing if Karen from IP design was still out there and maybe Sunshine pools based on what I've found.

• Damien99
    9 years ago

Let me know where your at