Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?

boymom23
15 years ago

Although our pool project is getting pricier every day, we're toying with the idea of the automatic pool cover. Although I have read that you can add the automatic cover later, our pb says he would want to know now so he can install the equipment (? not sure exactly what?) down lower in the concrete, so we wouldn't be tripping over it. I personally like the ease and safety features of the automatic cover (we have 3 little kids) My husband, however, is only thinking $$$! I'd love to hear about your experiences with the automatic cover. Thanks!

Comments (24)

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

If you are thinking about getting an automatic cover, now is the time to do it!! I have had automatic covers both ways; installed after-the-fact in my previous home and during the construction in my current home. It's much better when they do it during construction, as the motor and roll can be housed underground so you don't have to see it or deal with it (some people build a deck box to house the roll and the motor if it is installed after the pool is built, but it's much nicer to not have to look at or trip over stuff that is best left unseen).

I would wholeheartedly encourage you to get an automatic safety cover, esp. with 3 little kids. I know that if I had to manually cover and uncover my pool, I would either never use it or never close it.

Of all of the "extras" I put in my pool, the cover is one that I would *never* skimp on.

If it'll help convince your dh, you can remind him of all the $$ he'll save on chemicals and heating (not to mention medical bills and funeral expenses if the unthinkable were to happen).

• boymom23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, on a brighter note -- could anyone else comment on their pool cover? Do you wish you had gone with an automatic cover in the first place? Or do you find your manual cover to be fine? Or is your automatic cover problematic? I'd love to hear about your cover, as we have to make this decision with our builder soon. Thanks! :)

• sharlanet
    15 years ago

I can't imagine a pool without an automatic cover. Just the ease of it and the peace of mind it will give you with those little ones is priceless! I agree with arielitas_mom, don't skimp on it. (It will also keep your pool cleaner and warmer.)

• boymom23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies -- I'm glad you like your automatic cover! Happy Swimming :)

• ducter
    15 years ago

$$$ for my pool it was near 10k for an automatic safety cover (free form) and even the PB said I shouldnt. instead I have a winter safety cover and a pool fence around the pool. If possible and you have the $ an auto cover should be great. VERY safe with the push of a button and keep the pool cleaner and cooler or warmer. Just comes down to $$$

• poolmissy
    15 years ago

My pool cover was also $10K with an additional $5K for custom brackets in order to place stone coping on.

Would not do a pool in the cool pacific nw without one.
    I only loose a couple of degrees at night. So it keeps the gas bill way down.

Mine has a concrete vault to house the cover with a drain. It rolls up below grade and is completely hidden when open. It opens by the touch of a button in about 15 seconds.

Yes expensive, but to me worth it.

• sharlanet
    15 years ago

ducter, I'm curious about cost of an auto cover vs. cost of a winter safety cover and fence. I have no idea how much a fence and winter safety cover costs but wouldn't think it would be that much less than an auto cover. Am I totally wrong? In our city, we are required to have a fence around the whole yard, but doesn't have to be around the pool, but a safety cover is required. We already had the fence around the yard when we moved in so we just needed the cover when we put in the pool. I know codes are different in different areas but I'm glad we didn't have to put in a fence around the pool too! Just curious if you'd save that much if you had to do a fence and the winter safety cover vs. an auto cover. Is a fence really cheaper than an auto cover? ;)

• mwsigler
    15 years ago

When we put our pool in our kids were 5 and 3. I didn't price the automatic pool cover out at first, but then I just couldn't do it without it. I needed the peace of mind.

I believe now that the cover is worth its weight in gold. It keeps the pool hot and clean.

I should mention we also have a fence around our pool.

Also, we had to replace the cover last year as it ripped on the seam. It was sickening at first, but once I got someone to replace it wasn't as bad as I thought.

• lmhall2000
    15 years ago

I think you need to ask some important questions to the manufacturer...I was reading into a few of them and they don't warrant against salt water pool damage...apparently the channels the cover slides through can be corroded and they say minimally you need to hose off those channels atleast once a month....that seems like a red flag to me, spending 10-15k and then having the salt water eat away at the mechanism in a few years?

• ducter
    15 years ago

sharla:
    First I am a DIY person so it is always cheaper! If you dont have little kids or have them over alot the fence around the pool isnt as inportant but with little ones, its a must in a large yard where they will use the rest of it Thus my yard and pool are both fenced. The cost will be less if you do it yourself or not.The cost for the winter safety cover depends on the pool size but my cover from backyard city was around 1600-1800 and was the pro mesh kind and I installed myself. The aluminum fence around the pool was approx 2k (cheap brand, better ones add 1k). Both arent hard projects (cover is easiest) but are labor intensive. The winter cover is great, I wish I bought a better brand fence. I view them as layers of protection. One thing is that if you have little kids in the yard and an automatic cover....that WILL NOT keep them off the cover itself, a friend of mine found out when he turned around to find a 3 year old in the middle of the cover! Granted nothing happended but to be more safe find a way to keep them off the cover altogether. Also remember, the aluminum fences can be removed and sold (I know I would have bought used if I could) if yo feel they are not needed. Just new posts need to be bought because the old ones need to be cut out. Just tell a few pool builders in the area and trust me they will find a buyer. There is no such thing as too safe when you have little ones. Also think about kids in the area since even though if you are up to code and shouldnt lose to a lawsuit, a child cant be brought back or forgotten.

• jpvh
    15 years ago

My house came with a pool and automatic pool cover. We immediately installed a safety fence (~$2,500) because, while the cover prevents drowning when closed, there are many times when we want to keep kids out when the cover is open. So, it is definitely not a substitute for a fence around the pool. Overall, I find the automatic pool cover to be nice to have but would definitely not spend $10k to have one installed.

Pro's
    - simple to use
    - retains heat and saves on chemicals
    - safe when pool is closed
    - keeps leaves out

Con's
    - need to remove ladders before using
    - mechanism often has problems, requiring maintenance
    - hard to get service
    - bottom of cover gets dirty, so dirt gets into pool when closed

• watermom
    15 years ago

Silly question from a newbie.... Does the auto cover take the place of a winter cover for the pool? Just wondering....

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

I understood that an automatic cover does NOT replace a winter cover in regions that get snow. The snow load will pull it off the tracks and rip the cover. No?

Our estimate for an auto cover was $12,000 and the average life span is only 6 or 7 years. That kind of money will buy a lot of chemicals and pool heat.

But if money were no object? Yeah, I'd probably splurge because I'd have the money for replacements and repairs.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I realize this is an old thread, however, the same questions apply today, and with rising energy costs, and increased conservation efforts (especially in the west where water consumption is a great concern due to the drought), the use of a pool cover is more paramount than ever.

When considering an automatic pool cover, you need to look beyond the initial investment, because the ROI, or return on investment is real and quantifiable. These numbers are not from use, but supported by the US Dept of Energy which demonstrate that your pool operating costs can be reduced by as much as 75% (something a fence doesn't provide)

Here is a link where you can learn more

http://www.rlmartin.com/rspec/

Also, you can find other data on our website at www.aquamatic.com

Spend less time skimming, and more time swimming with a covered pool.

• corky1_2008 Harris
    8 years ago

I would not have a pool without an automatic cover. I work in a health field and have seen what can happen. The cover will fail periodically but you just replace the material not the entire cover. Still pricey but not as much as an entire new cover.

• Rachelle Shimondle
    7 years ago

Is there a particular brand that is better than another?

• malba2366
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What is a reasonable price for an automatic pool cover done at the time of pool installation. For a 42x14 foot pool I was quoted $25k for the cover. I was a bit shocked at that price...it is just a touch less than half the price of the actual pool!

It seems that that the pool builder doesn't really want to put in the pool cover as he initially tried to poo poo it by saying a fence is adequate etc.

• just_janni
    7 years ago

I've been quoted about $11K for an automatic safety cover on an approximately 16x40 pool.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

@ malba what are they actually quoting you? See below

@jannicone, that is quote is more in line

@rachelle shimondle, based on our 36 years in business, along with our patent technology, and strength of warranty. Our Hydramatic, all-fluid hydraulic drive is the most robust automatic pool cover on the market

• malba2366
    7 years ago

@aquamatic. He mentioned that it is a hydramatic pool cover. The price quoted seems very high to me.

Do your covers have a key control or a touchpad with a code?

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Malba, We only do a key control. According to the ASTM and UL certification, the cover must be operated by a key. Some people will skirt around that by putting a touch pad inside a locked (key) box. FYI, touch pads currently being used have been known to be very unreliable. (according to independent cover installers). Regarding the cost, there are a number of options that can radically increase cost. Also, freight (depending on where the pool is), will also add a lot.

• malba2366
    7 years ago

@aquamatic. It is a 40 x 15 rectangle pool. I live 1 hour from New York City. The cover is going to be mounted under the deck coping. What options would cause a a change in price from the $11k that you mentioned above is "more in line" vs the $25K I was quoted.

• PRO
    IPC Team
    7 years ago

Hello @boymom23, if this question is still open, please find a minute to check automatic retractable enclosures here on Houzz - this might be what you are looking for:

Enclosure installations - recently installed pool and patio enclosures · More Info

Retractable pool enclosures - low · More Info

Retractable pool enclosure - high · More Info
    Please contact Alex (https://www.sunrooms-enclosures.com/) if you feel this might help. He will be more than happy to explain everything to you.

Jiri