Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cantilever solid deck with no coping brick/stone

Posted by magic781 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 13:14

I have a question concerning cantilever decks. I know the bond beam has to have a slip joint between it and the deck, but do you have to have an expansion joint around the perimeter of the pool to keep the deck from cracking around the perimeter of the beam? I know I need them about 6ft apart throughout the deck. If have seem where a joint is around some of the the pools and some not. Can the deck crack from one portion sitting on the beam (hard surface) and the other part sitting on dirt? What if you rebar in the deck all the way close the the cantilever edge so its less likely to crack over the beam? Please be nice , my PB cant seem to give straight answers. I just fired him. Looking for some answers before I hire another.

PS I live in GA red clay all the way. What about expansive soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cantilever solid deck with no coping brick/stone

To Answer all your questions. Yes. Cantilever decks are notorious for cracking on the backside of the pool bond beam. You should always do pool coping and then put an expansion joint between the coping and the deck. The ones you put every 6 feet around the pool deck are called control joints. They are cut into the deck by a tool or saw when the concrete is poured. That red clay you have is highly expansive. I would lay 3" of road base around the pool before you place your rebar and concrete.

o

For your situation I agree with 94.
But I dont agree with the "Always do a pool coping"
This depends on soil conditions. In my neck of the woods, 90% of pools are done with a solid cantilever deck.
One large builder even touts the addition of sky bars to tie the deck to the beam. I personally prefer it moving.
That said I havent poured concrete around a pool in a couple of years, love those travertine pavers.

o

Thanks, guys. I guess it would be best to separate the deck from the beam. I think I am going to pour the concrete on the beam as if it were coping. Then pour the deck separately so I can put a expansion joint around the pool so they can move independently.

Any other advise?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here