Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boogerhead_gw

Finally-My SELF built pool, literally! 90 Pics too! Please look

boogerhead
16 years ago

Clicking on the link at the bottom will take you to 90 pictures of this adventure. You can then click on the pictures to view a larger pictureenjoy!

This is what I had to start with:

Several of you have been asking for the story on my pool. ItÂs not as dramatic as some, but it was quite a journeyÂso here goes!

We purchased a fixer-upper to get a better house than we could really afford and to build equity faster. The house was pretty bad, but the pool was the worst IÂve ever seen. The pool was not functional even before the prior owner lived here, which was 7 years.

I had a pool builder (also an acquaintance) come by to give me an estimate. He said ÂdonÂt buy that house! (I donÂt know if he was serious or if he wanted to buy it himself). He said that it would cost between $5,000 and $9,000 to put just the liner in and get it running again. He would put in expandable foam where the dirt had washed away behind the walls, dig it out and put in a linerÂcement bottom might be a little more.

The house was selling for half of what other average houses were selling for, but it was one of the smaller houses in the neighborhood. So we bought it anyway because of financial issues.

I thought the price to fix the pool was a fair price so I tried to get him back out. He didnÂt show twice so I was done with that. To be fair to him he was getting into his busy season; I just wish he had the courtesy to call.

So without a contractor I would do it myself. IÂve done a lot of building and renovation over the years and thought that this was doable. I started to backfill with dirt. I finished one section of 16 feetÂI was happy! I then came out the next day to find that the wall had collapsed. I was not happy. When I took out the panel to see what had happened I found that the old fasteners had rotted and were breaking under the pressure of the dirt. I now realized the severity of the problem  everything was going to have to be replaced. We did not have the funds to rip it all out and replace everything so I needed to save at least the deck (plus I love the look of a cantilever deck).

The adventure started. We had minimal funds from the sale of our last house, but we needed to fix up several things in the house too (like the kitchen remodel, flooring, and most important of allÂthe septic was failing!). Funds for the pool were scarce but we continued on. Other projects would be intermingled with the pool so it did not get 100% of my time. I was definitely multitasking. Then we found that the company I worked for was having severe financial problems. Projects had to be put on hold to conserve what little finances were left. Well, that company would not survive and it would be almost a year before we were financially able to start working on the pool again.... But the good news is that we are working on the pool again! Yippeee!

I would obsess over forums dealing with anything related to a pool. Since I had a wood framed pool, there was not as much information out there on this type of pool. I was asking questions on a forum and met a gentleman that was a pool builder and had actually worked on wood framed pools in the past. He answered my questions and gave me his personal number to call him if I had any questions. Was this guy crazy? Giving a DIYer your phone number? So I took advantage of that. I tried mostly to email him with questions to which he would always respond before the end of the day. I tried to send him some money and he wouldnÂt take it. I tried to send him a gift certificate to a restaurantÂhe wouldnÂt take it. I needed liner track and a linerÂhe offered to sell it to me so I bought it from him. He still only charged me the going rate on the internetÂwhat a great guy! His name is Patrick Fitzgerald from Sunbuilt Pools in Houston, Texas. I must give him a plug here as he was so nice to me.

The adventure would take a total of 2 years to get the pool in order, and another year to finish everything to what you see in the pictures. This was a total of 3 years (including the down time). Most would say that was too long and things should have went fasterÂbut the important and rewarding thing here is that we did this 100% out of pocket. We did not take out a loan to finish it  we saved every penny that we put into the house, and we are so much happier that we did.

My wife made me a beautiful little scrapbook of this adventure  I will always cherish this as it means the world to me.

Please click below and view the journey. Please make whatever comments you see fit  good or bad (IÂm a big boy now, I can take it!). Thank you all for being board buddies during this journey. I can't wait until all of you guys (and gals) see it !!!

Comments (47)

• johnmgreen
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations and well done Boogerhead! That's quite an accomplishment. You should be very proud. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

• zarbiya123
    16 years ago

Unbelievable! What a great scrapbook and inspiring story. It's amazing how you did all that yourself. Your backyard looks like such an inviting oasis now. Where do you live? Looks like Georgia clay there...

• kajones2
    16 years ago

You did a terrific job!! It's amazing you did it yourself. What a beautiful area you all have to enjoy now.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    16 years ago

That is fantastic - what a huge job - and an even huger improvement! I can't believe your yard and pool are the same as from the first photos. Congratulations!!

• lebwhite
    16 years ago

WOW!! I am so impressed. Your pool is wonderful and you've done an awesome job on the yard - it looks like a great spot for family and friends.

• houseful
    16 years ago

That's amazing! It's so gorgeous now! As I looked at the old photos, I tried to imagine what it must have looked like at one time -- you know how they superimpose people into ghost towns on TV?

Is that just a slide from a regular playground structure? Where did you get it?

• snookums
    16 years ago

WOW! That is an amazing transformation!!! It looks GREAT!

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

What a great feeling of accomplishment you must have. That's awesome. I'm impressed when I get the laundry caught up, I can't imagine how I'd feel if I built a pool!

• padrefan
    16 years ago

I was JUST going to give you crap the other day for not posting pictures yet. The wait was worth it. I can't ever imagine having the vision you and your wife must have in order to transform that pool and yard. You guys did a spectacular job, and just like labrat and ausman, I think you have the right to be even more proud of your pool than most of us. Enjoy it.

BTW... I loved how you signed your post the other day..."an irritated booger." Actually made me laugh out loud.

• ausman
    16 years ago

Booger,

you make me and Labrat look like diy wimps (sorry John).

Awesom job. I can appreciate the huge effort you have put into this project. I think it looks fantastic. Be proud of yourself and have a great Summer.
    Damien.

• ktdave
    16 years ago

You are a DIY INSPIRATOR! (Does that make sense?)

• gk5040
    16 years ago

WOW says it all!

• scrapula
    16 years ago

You truly are an owner-builder. I don't know of anyone who did all the work themselves. You should be really proud of yourself. The backyard looks incredible.

• knix
    16 years ago

one word WOW, I am truely impressed and inspired.

• gaylek
    16 years ago

You and your family have done a fantastic job! Thank you for sharing your experience step by step. You give DIY new meaning! You have excellent construction skills and your wife and son have excellent skills as well. You are teaching your son by example. Glad you are taking the time to do that. You will never be sorry!
    Happy Father's Day!

• boogerhead
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

johnmgreen - thanks...Oh yes, the summer is going to be enjoyed!

zarbiya123- oasis? wow, thanks. Honestly, I took ALOT of inspiration from Kelly. I saw his backyard and wanted to make a place that allows me to be home without realizing it (sorry Kelly if I truly butchered your comments).

gotpool-thanks for the compliment!

jennifer_in_clyde-Thanks! It's hard for us to believe also!

lebwhite - thanks! Hopefully it will be that spot for family & friends...for years to come!

houseful-Thanks! I was wondering the same (what it looked like when it was first built). A neat thing when I was tearing it apart was finding beer cans and an old McDonald's styrofoam coffee cup! Yes, that is actually a playground slide. I got it off the internet. Actually, my wife and I joke that this is an internet pool because we got soooo much off the internet.

snookums - Thanky you very much, I appreciate it!

skinnydipper - (love that screename)- thanks! I don't do laundry so I cannot relate there, but I can only imagine ;-)

padrefan - you are one of the ones that were pushing me to post the pics...it's all for you! Thanks for the kind words!

ausman - wow, coming from another member of the club, it really means alot. I've seen your pool and mine pales in comparison (I'll trade either of you in a heartbeat) - don't sell yourself short, you guys both did a fantastic job too!

ktdave - Yes it does make sense...perhaps a DIY perspirator?

gk5040 - thanks a bunch!

scrapula - thanks, doc !!! Maybe next time I'll pay someone to build me one like yours...ahhh... I can only dream!

knix - Thanks so much...!

memama_gayle - Yes, God has truly blessed me with all of my family. They still like to help daddy (that will change!). Thanks for the compliments and the Father's Day wish!

Thanks to everyone for the kind and thoughtful words! It really makes me feel all warm and scuzzy (or SCSI for you computer fans)...or is that warm and fizzy? whatever! No really, thanks so much.

Thanks especially to those that have inspired me (ausman and labrat, and Kelly too). Thanks also to those many that have helped me along the way...this is proof that this forum really works!

Compliments from you guys means alot...It's kinda' like a guy pulls up next to me in his Lamborghini and gives me a compliment on my plain ol' pickup truck! Wow!

as Kelly would say...See Ya, [sorry Kelly - I just had to]
    a much happier booger (that was just for you padrefan!)

• lobstertail
    16 years ago

WOW! The pool is awesome but your story is INCREDIBLE!!! From one of the many who requested pics - Thanks. I hope you enjoyed this Father's Day poolside. You deserve it & your family is very lucky indeed!

• tinamccullagh
    16 years ago

Congratulations Boogerhead! your pool and back yard are beautiful. What an achievement you must get a great feeling everytime you look at your back yard and to think you did it all yourself, amazing . Enjoy it this summer!

• stash_
    16 years ago

You are a Champion

• K Jensen
    16 years ago

Boogerhead: Sorry it has taken me several days to post a reply. I've been looking through your pictures all weekend and just can't believe what you have done with that old pool!! What an amazing transformation! I look at our construction zone (nearing completion) in the back yard and start to count the the number of guys who have been back there working... some days we have had eight guys working at once and here you have been slogging away alone!! Just amazing!! Congratulations!

• sharlanet
    16 years ago

You are amazing!!!! Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back!

• last_mango
    16 years ago

Your yard & pool looks fabulous! Congratulations on a great job. I love DIY projects, but it's taken me almost a year to lay a small stone patio. Wow. I bet it will make every drink at that bar taste even better!! Lovely.

• tess_tx
    16 years ago

Awesome! I'm so amazed at the transformation, I would bet that's one pool that will never be taken for granted. Enjoy!!

• padrefan
    16 years ago

A happy booger is ALWAYS better than an irritated one.

• airborne101
    16 years ago

Absolutely phenominal job considering your budget and no help except family. I had seen your original post and thought it was a fill in= no question. You did the impossible my man, you must be related to my DH, great job to say the least. Enjoy it, you certainly deserve it. Cheers, Barb

• boogerhead
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lobstertail - Thanks for asking! Thanks for the compliments...and yes, part of Father's day WAS poolside...it was awesome.

tinamccullagh - Thanks a bunch. Yes, as I told my lovely wife (I guess that would be LW ?!?), while I was putting the picture diary together for you guys I definitely got a refresher on those feelings. It was strange, but every stage had its own little feelings of euphoria...even though I knew there was a long road further.

stash_ (northshorepools@cox.net) - From a pool builder, it means the world...thanks!

dogpaddle - Thanks for the compliments. You know as they say...better late than never! Enjoy your new pool! If it is anything like ours, you will get your money's worth. We did it mostly for the kids and they are the ones that make me realize that it was all worth it.

sharla - Thanks for the pat! (I was actually floating on a raft sleeping when you gave me the pat on the back...you woke me!)

last_mango - Yes, I really DO enjoy a beer much more while I am sitting at the bar or under the gazebo. Thanks for the kind words!

tess_tx - Taken for granted? Oh boy I hope not, but isn't that the job a children (to take their parents for granted)? THanks for the compliments!

airborne101 - You and me had the same feelings for at least the first 6-12 months (the fill in part). Its here finally! THanks for the compliment.

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

Yes, what you have created in your backyard is an amazing thing. What's amazing to me it that you truly have had one of the best outlooks during the whole process. Your sense of humor has left me laughing many a day...and you kept that wonderful trait throughout the build.

Kudos to a beautiful result and to your spirit.

Now let me say you deserve more than one beer. Have another on me. While you're at it have one for everyone that responded to this post...and each of their family members...and...

• rachelacey
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! That transformation is nothing less than amazing - I'm going back to look again! Everything looks really, really great and it's so neat that you and your family did the entire thing yourselves. I love the gazebo and the finished pics with all the tiki lights - like a vacation spot!!

• lorriekay
    16 years ago

OMGAwwwwwd! It's incredible! I honestly can't believe it. The slide looks like so much fun~
    is it a playground slide or a pool slide?

• boogerhead
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kristenfl - awwww shucks! Thanks so much. Now that I have your attention, can have your spa, pleeeeease? Whaddya say? Oh sure I'll have that beer, thank you. Oh wow, another - thanks. What, one for every one that responded? Well, Okaaay...third...fowth...and fshfth one - thnksh a shlot sheez, whatkt didza shay zhere..anozzer beeeersz [THUD] I'm drunk out cold. Really though, thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

rachelacey - Thanks to you too! Funny that you mention the vacation spot - I was talking with my wife the other day and the gazebo remided us alot of the bar at a little island place where we spent out honeymoon.

lorriekay - Thanks! Yes, the slide is definitely fun. Yes, it is actually a playground slide. We had a water hose on it at first and it was waaaay too slippery. We toned down the water to a trickle and it is perfect. Fast enough to throw you out at the end, but not bang you up inside.

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

All I can say is what vision and skill you have to pull off such an incredible renovation. To think you did it all yourself is amazing. Assuming you are not in the trades, your job looks incredibly professional and I would bet you, you would have never got such a nice job from your friend in the biz. The fact that you took three years to complete the pool says a lot about your work standards. Most people would grow impatient and start doing shoddy work just to get it done. I always tell my DW when she asks me when I am going to be done with a major project, that it will be done when its done right.

Great job!

• colt357_2004
    16 years ago

WOW
    Great job, alot of people wouldn't have taken that on.

• boogerhead
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kitchenshock - Wow, wow, wow! What a compliment! Thanks so much for the kind words. No, I am not in the trade at all. I appreciate comments like this from a DIY such as yourself...thanks.

colt357_2004 - Thank you...I almost DIDN'T take it on!

• donnawb
    16 years ago

Wow, truly amazing that you did it all by yourself and had the vision for it. Very inspiring that you did it all on your own dime also. Thank you so much for sharing this, truly insprational.

I do have to say if I saw that pool when I was looking, don't know what the house looked like but I probably would have left screaming.

• tagprod
    16 years ago

I remember seeing that first pic a long time ago. What a job!! It looks awesome!

• huskyridor
    16 years ago

colt says
    quote" WOW Great job, alot of people wouldn't have taken that on. "quote
    and stash says
    quote" You are a Champion "quote
    I agree with both and will add

YOUR THE MAN!!!

I meant to look at the pics over the past few nights but was busy eating and replying to other threads late in the evening.

WAY TO GO!!! Your poolscape is friggin AWESOME.

I'd never seen your starting picture before.

I'm honored that you really liked our backyard and used it as inspiration. Your pool achieves every goal I had in mind when I started ours. All I wanted to do was walk out to the backyard, turn my back to the house, then sit down and be instantly transported to a resort far far away!!!
    I'm certain you'll realize that feeling every time you do the same at your pool.
    BTW, I love your gazebo. I've always enjoyed the simplicity of mini-beams from hip to hip on my structures.

I'm curious, are you in the Houston area?

See ya,
    Kelly

• boogerhead
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dd50 - Thanks for the compliment. Yes, the house was bad (not as bad), but if it means anything, we are still working on it.

tagprod - thanks. Are you a builder too?

hyskyrider/huskyridor/Kelly - Thanks a big one! From a person I really admire, your compliment means a whole bunch to me! The gazebo is an original design that we made to fit an existing circular cement pad. I got many ideas from members of this forums - thanks to all of you! Thanks for all your support to the members of this forum.

No, I am not in Houston, but rather in north Florida in the panhandle. Perhaps you know Patrick from Sunbuilt pools in Houston?

• puterman
    16 years ago

Wow, are you a glutton for punishment? Is that composite decking? It looks great...more than the average person would have taken on!

• qa4me
    16 years ago

Completely amazing and so wonderful to see the process from beginning to end! It's beautiful! All I can say is WOW. You must be really proud of yourself and those who love you are too, I'm sure as is everyone who sees your workmanship. Congratulations!

• boogerhead
    Original Author
    16 years ago

puternam - yes, I am a glutton for punishment! Yes, the decking is composite. I got it from Lowe's and it was really easy to work with

qa4me - thanks for the compliment! Best of luck finishing your pool!

• jgrindol
    11 years ago

Boog,
    I have a pool that looks nearly identical to the way your pool looked 7 years ago. We too, purchased a rehab house and I have put the pool off for nearly a year getting the home redone. I have so many questions, but I will respect your time and ask you one. Did you have to use marine grade/below grade lumber? I am in Louisiana and it seems the treated lumber would rot in a couple years. I am exploring my options before I "jump" ANY help would be appreciated. Your work is awesome! You can email mail me at my username at yahoo . com
    Jonathan

• HU-206337072
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i need help! I have a 50x20 inground wooden pool . One section pulled away from the concrete over the winter when we took the cover off we found this. No one will fix this problem and we so not have the money for a new pool. Please HELP!! I am in NY Suffern area.

• HU-206337072
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Boogerhead is it possible for you to fix my pool I know we need a new liner but this has to be fixed first and no one will touch wooden pools. see photos above. I look foreard to your answer galelatkovic@gmail.com

• Rowdy Carson
    5 years ago
    Hey man looks like you did a stand up job fixing your pool by reading the comments. For some reason I am unable to see the pictures. I would love to see them though if you would be willing to send them to me? Also I just recently purchased a fixer upper house myself with a pool in the back yard. The previous owners filled it in with dirt when they got to old to take care of it. After digging a little of it up I have determined that it was a liner pool that was a wood frame. I intend to undertake the project myself in time. I would love any and all advice from you if you would be willing to email back and forth me a little. Row797@hotmail.com
  • Jovana Bukvic
    5 years ago

Same here! I would love to see the pictures as we just bought a house with a similar situation, but cannot find the link with where they are. Could you send them to me please?

• Milford Plaines
    4 years ago

where are the other pictures?

• rebakoch
    4 years ago

I know it's been a long time since you did this project, but the pics are gone, and we're just about to have to repair our pool. If you could restore the link to the pictures, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!