Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apearlman_gw

Slugs in Used Hot Tub

apearlman
9 years ago

I'm the new owner of a 2000 Hot Springs Sovreign (Model I) hot tub. I basically got it for free from a friend of a friend, just had to pay for the move. They weren't using it. It did look like it had once had some sort of creature living for sometime behind the door. This worried me some, but I had it checked out and the guy ran the tub and it just needed a new ozonator and had no leaks, so I figured the creature had not eaten away at any of the pipes.

I'm preparing to do a full system clean (using 1 - "flush" from a dealer / 2- superclorination / 3 - rinse). I hosed it all off (on its side before putting it into place), I scrubbed the whole thing down, and I cleaned out the dirt, sticks, etc left by whatever creature lived in the "pump room" *(which now looks like new).

While doing all this, five different times I found a small slug (5 different slugs) in the tub itself. Is it possible that there are slugs living in the plumbing? Will my superchlorine and flush kill and remove these along with other "organic" matter? Will my wife freak out forever if there are a bunch of dead slugs floating on top of the tub? Anything else I should do? Am I doomed?

I should also mention that I still have the old top on the tub (don't have the new one yet), so maybe it is possible they are in that, but I don't think so as the tub was wide open when this happened.

Signed,
Feeling Queezy (and hoping I am still going to end up with an awesome tub and very clean water)