Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool Krete on Top of Gravel in Pool Bottom

Posted by doyline (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 13:01

I am building vinyl liner inground pool. PB was doing the pool krete on the bottom today. In the shallow end I noticed there was an inch or 2 of gravel. He was putting the pool krete over the gravel. Everything I read said bottom should be free of rocks and lumps before putting it down. (He is gone now, raining of course)Is this right?
Is he doing something he shouldnt? Before I ask I would like to know my facts, since I have been asking him alot lately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool Krete on Top of Gravel in Pool Bottom

PB came back after the storm to talk. I ask him about the gravel and Pool Krete. He said there were rough spots and he was using the gravel to smooth the bottom out and put Krete over it just like you would do when laying regular concrete. Does this sound right? If stormed all night and everthing they did with the Pool Krete is laying on the pool floor or hanging off the walls. How do the fix this??

o

I only use sand and cement mix on my floors. Pool Krete is only used for patching when replaceing a liner.

o

Pool Krete is a premixed vermiculite and Portland cement mix. It is frequently use here in NJ. In fact, I will be replacing the vast majority of an abused floor/hopper today/tomorrow before dropping a new liner.

The old bottom had all the cement washed away and the v-mix became mushed and filled with mold and algae. Add to it that the original hopper walls were eyeballed instead of strung out to ensure they were flat and I can expect the bottom to look much, much, nicer.

I will ask the homeowner if I can post pics.

Scott

o

who can sell me about 40 (40lb) bags on pool krete in Wayne NJ?

o

I don't think you want to DIY this step. Let the pro pick whether he wants pre mix or if he wants to mix his own. He should, if he's a pro, be able to get it.

If you decide to do this on your own, you should be able to order it from any liner pool builder.

Since you are in Wayne and many parts are in flood zones, if you are in one of these zones, I urge to add a dry well for under the pool. This can be a major cost saver 10 years from now when it's time to change the liner.

Scott

o

I agree with Scott on recapping a floor it is the standard to use .But IMO a sand cement mix makes a much smoother floor for a new pool build.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here