Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

filling after plaster--how slow is too slow?

Fori
12 years ago

Howdy all!

We're about to have our pool replastered and it just occurred to me that we have really low water pressure. It's only about 17,000 gallons so maybe it's not a big deal, but will a really slow fill be bad?

Comments (7)

• Rack Etear
    12 years ago

Typically not. I recommend spraying down the exposed plaster as it dries out.

• poolmanchuck
    12 years ago

Ask your plaster applicator what they think. My understanding is if you spray down the plaster you may get streaks in the finish. I would not do that without asking first. We don't even plaster if rain is forecast in the next 24 hours. Once the pool has some water in it you should be able to safely turn the water up to increase flow. Ideally the pool should fill within 24 hours. You could use two hoses if your pressure is too low. We always duct tape a white cloth rag around the end of the hose to diffuse the water flow and reduce the chance of scratching. Do not turn the hose up so high that it is whipping around the floor of the pool.

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys. Turns out we have pretty good water pressure OUTside and it did manage to fill in about 20 hrs., just slightly longer than it took to fill the tub for the kid's bath. :P

We did ask the pool guy if we needed to borrow the neighbor's water and he said we have great water pressure. I guess we haven't lived here long enough to realize that it's okay outside--it's really bad inside the house.

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

What you have described relative to water pressure doesn't sound quite right. If all the plubing is interconnected, the water pressure should be pretty constant throughout the home. What is the gallonage of the pool that took 20 hours to fill?

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right, TX. It's weird. Figuring it out is one of our projects for this weekend, although we may need to hire a plumber eventually. Most homes in this subdivision do need to have the pipes replaced due to buildup and I don't know what's been done on this place (we just moved in). It would have been nice if the POs had gotten permits for stuff just so we would know what they'd done. :/

The pool is estimated to be about 18000 gallons.

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Fori, this isn't really a plumbing forum except for pool plumbing, but what type pipe do you have in your home? Most common these days is CPVC and copper. Assume you have a lot of lime or iron in your water supply. Neither of the pipe types I mentioned are likely to allow buildup.

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pipes are galvanized. (The pool, of course, was copper until we redid it. Ahh the irony!) In this neighborhood, everyone has repiped with copper or needs to. It's possible that the exterior plumbing is newer. It's also possible that there is a knob somewhere that isn't opened all the way.

(The house was built in '56 so it's time to redo the plumbing.)