Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool pump motor temp

Posted by jccams (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 12:22

Have a sta-rite 1HP pump motor. When the pool was opened this year I noticed that it was leaking at the connection between pump and motor. Pool company replaced the shaft seal and it stopped leaking for about 2 weeks then started again. They came out again yesterdy and replaced the shaft seal again that they said was broken in half.

The motor is very hot and I am wondering if this may be the problem with the seal. When I say hot I mean you cannot lay your hand on it. It is going on season 9 I believe. How hot is normal and what is the normal lifespan. Pool is open from mid May to beginning of Oct. runs 8-10 hours a day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool pump motor temp

Most motors have a thermal limiter switch which will shut the motor off if it gets too hot. But a bad seal can put an extra load on a motor so it draws more current and will then heat up more than usual. Also, pump motors in general will run on the hot side, especially the less efficient motors. A 1 HP full rated motor can draw up to 1800 watts of power and at least 25% is lost to heat and friction which is close to 450 watts. So the motor housing can get quite hot uner normal operation.

If the seal goes bad again, it could be that the motor shaft is slightly bent and causing the seal to fail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here