Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busyredhed

flying ants in pool?

busyredhed
15 years ago

I'm in California so we don't do nets over our pools here, but we've started getting a few flying ants in our pool. I called the pest control company and they're coming out today, but my husband caught one last night at dusk in the pool and this morning there were about 12 of them floating in my pool. I thought they were dead, but they are alive. I caught another one to show my pest control guy, thinking it was dead, but once I got it in the jar of water, it just sits on the top breathing or drinking the water? I just see bubbles. I'm sure it's an ant and not a termite, but has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you get rid of them? They look like large black ants with pretty large wings about the length of the body. Any info would help.

Comments (26)

• tresw
    15 years ago

They are indeed flying ants, and if you only have 12 then count yourself lucky. They're called "swarmers" and pose no harm or threat of increased risk of ant infestation, but usually you see them in the hundreds (if not thousands) when they're active. They'll be gone soon, they usually are only seen for a few days to a week. I would call pest control and tell them you don't need them after all, because all they're going to do is charge you for something they can't fix!

By the way, when I cleaned out my skimmer baskets yesterday there must have been 200 of them in there.

• busyredhed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. Hopefully they won't get worse before better.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    15 years ago

I believe that was what was biting me last night in the pooL!

• barco
    15 years ago

Man we had some of those. Don't know why they like to sit on the water upside down--they are kinda stupid. I thought they were termites. They were going into the pool faster than we could net them out.

• busyredhed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Pest Control company came out to look at it and says it's flying carpenter ants, but not from any nest in my yard. Told me there's not much I can do except just scoop them out and kill them when they get in the pool.

• ibobi
    15 years ago

over the last few weeks we have had the flying ants in our pool 3 or 4 times. We are just outside Dallas, Tx. I would say on top and in the skimmer there is about 100. Last night we put down some ant killer around the pool. Afer the first time I thought they were coming from around the pool....then I finally figured out they are flying into the pool. Its funny....I was thinking about starting a thread last night and then blew it off.

Hey Trsew.....how is the SWG working????

• kahbear
    15 years ago

I can't believe the number of "bugs" in general that die in the pool and then get sucked into the skimmer. I always have lots of bugs floating in my pool. If I haven't had a wind that brings the leaves then I am skimming dozens of beetles, bees, flies, ants and nats out of the pool. I haven't even been having the light on at night and they still come. Lets see.........so far I have reached into my skimmer and found a dead bird, a dead mouse, and all those bugs. I do use a skimmer sock and man do I love those. I don't even clean them I just throw them away and replace them. They do the best job. I just now came in the house from skimming bugs and replacing the skimmer sock, "Robbie" the Robot is cleaning away the sides and bottom of my pool whilst I relax for a moment!

Kurt

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

I'd rather have ants than June Bugs. The whole time I'm reaching in to pull out my skimmer basket, I've got a huge case of the heebie jeebies.

I think there were 50 in there the other night, and one my dog's tennis balls had gotten in there and they were all over it and wouldn't come off.

I'm grossing myself out just typing this.

• busyredhed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok smbnobles. You win!!! I am grossed out just reading your reply. I hate bugs and I get freaked out just grabbing my skimmer basket when there is a bee or two in it. My 12 year old kills spiders for me because I just can't stand any kind of bugs, especially spiders and bees and June Bugs are just creepy.
    Hey, Kahbear, what's a skimmer sock? I'm a new pool owner and haven't heard of those yet.

• cathouse9
    15 years ago

True, no one likes to reach into the skimmer. I just got this new replacement basket which has a tall "handle". I mainly got it for any frogs to hold onto until I can get them out.

• snookums
    15 years ago

Some ant facts:

All ants have two types of ants that fly - the queen and all the males. The rest of the ants are all females. They only fly when it's time to mate. Then the queen goes back in the nest and the males die.

So what you've found was probably the result of a wild orgy party that's now come to an end. :)

• tresw
    15 years ago

Hey Bob, as a matter of fact the guy is here installing the SWG right now!! They were supposed to install it a couple of weeks ago, but one of their guys got injured and apparently had our work ticket because they didn't realize they missed us until I called a few days ago to ask for a status report. It should be up and running in about an hour.

The ant population is now gone, we had just that one day where there were tons of them in the skimmer and that was it. We keep our yard treated and don't have any mounds, so they probably just blew in during one of the storms we've had recently.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I had some kind of flying ants about a week ago. I was outside and saw about 1/2 a pool with them and some on the deck. When I went out the next morning the pool was at least 3/4 full on them. Been here 14 years and never saw that before. At first I thought it was some kind of termite but looked more like an ant. Weird.

• jess111
    15 years ago

carenlynn, where did you get that skimmer basket? I really like it. I get the heeby jeebies cleaning out my skimmers too, so I just make DH do it. ;-)

• SteveTrejo
    13 years ago

I suggest you to use pool nets. Even though, there are many flying ants in your pool, you can avoid that insects to swim on your pool by using pool leaf nets.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Covers

• mbdc4eva_comcast_net
    12 years ago

We are in MA. and I swear we have this issue every year. Yes I do think it's a mating thing. The first year it happened there were thousands of them. I can do spiders, snakes,even mice (if they're not in my house) but I hate ants. I have my house and yard done 2x a year. It is amazing how many of them there are. I just scoop them and toss over the side.

• floor4me
    8 years ago

I don't like reaching into the skimmer either so I fashioned a nylon cord across the top that I can hook with a 24" long plant hanger shaped like an s-hook. Also, don't have to get down on my knees to reach the skimmer.

• floor4me
    8 years ago

Shoulda said across the top of the basket. Not the top of the skimmer. duh

• oneonlyzero2010
    6 years ago

I LIVE IN SCOTTSVILLE KENTUCKY ABOUT 45 MINUTES NORTH OF NASHVILLE TENNESSEE. I HAVE BEEN OVER RUN WITH THESE CRITTERS IN MY POOL THIS YEAR. AT FIRST I THOUGHT THEY WERE SOME KIND OF SWEAT BEE BUT WHEN I LOOK CLOSER THEY ARE SOME KIND OF FLYING ANT THAT ALMOST RESEMBLES A SMALL TERMITE. THEY FLOAT AROUND THE POOL WATER UPSIDE DOWN AND ARE VERY MUCH ALIVE WHEN YOU GRAB ONE. I'M NOT SURE IF THEY ARE BITING OR STINGING. BEFORE WE CAN EVEN GET IN THE POOL WE HAVE TO GO AROUND AND AROUND THE INSIDE OF THE POOL TO SKIM THEM OUT ONLY FOR THEM TO FLY DIRECTLY BACK INTO THE WATER. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING KNOWN TO MAN THAT I HAVE READ ON THE INTERNET TO GET RID OF THESE GOONS TO NO AVAIL. SERIOUSLY I SKIM AT LEAST 500 OUT BEFORE I CAN EVEN BEGIN TO ENJOY THE POOL AND IF YOU TRY TO STAY IN THE WATER FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME THEN YOU BETTER HAVE SOMEONE CONTINUING TO DO THE SCOOPING. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

• Fori
    6 years ago

Take some good photos, top and bottom, and post them on the insect forum here at GW: http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/insect or contact the local extension service.

The first step to getting rid of a critter responsibly is finding out what exactly it is.

• dsr0265
    5 years ago

Live in Austin,TX. They start in May after it rains and when it is humid, last a few days and don't return until the next time it rains and by July I don't see them anymore. I call them flying kamikaze ants because they seem to fly into the pool and die. My exterminator confirmed they are carpenter ants and are probably coming from a neighbor who doesn't hire an exterminator and who doesn't maintain their property. They are so annoying as they seem to fly into the pool only in the late afternoon when I want to swim. Skimming them out is a full time job. It is reassuring though that this problem seems to occur in all parts of the country and I am not the only one who is extremely frustrated.

• Peggy Bush_Ward
    3 years ago

To keep from squashing them as I want them dead We get a bucket and put apple cider vinegar in it and when skimming top of pool dump the ants in it as you get them. They die fast.

• Lisa Foster
    3 years ago

Put peppermint oil in a 2 liter bottle then tape it to a baby round float and tape it put holes in the bottle add peppernint in it every two to three days it helps

• HU-608011519
    2 years ago

The skimmer sock is my best friend when those things come around 2-3 times a year. It's crazy how they just show up one day (for about 2 days usually) and do their thing. They end up in my skimmer and that's it. Now if I could only keep the rollie pollies, wasps, and scorpions on that same quick schedule things would be great!

I recommend anyone else facing this challenge read: How to Get Rid & Prevent Flying Ants in Your Pool

• Cyndy Landfather
    last year

Living in rural Alabama is always a challenge keeping flying ants out of pool. The flying ants just keep coming most of the summer. It seems to be a loosing battle. I treat about 4 acres surrounding home & pool area regularly. I am sure it would be worse if I didn't do that. I have come to accept that is just part of living in the country. To help fight the battle I do float tennis balls & have bought 4 small fish nets from pet store. We place them on the edge of pool where it is easy to reach without getting out of water. When the invasion comes everyone grabs a net & starts scooping. Even the younger kids have a helping hand.

As for the skimmer issue it really gives me the willies reaching in to empty the skimmer not ever knowing what all is in there (frogs, mice, snakes, moles, & every imaginable insect). I found something called "The Skimmer Buttler". And it works great! Cost about $30 & worth every penny! One end of this item will take the cover off the skimmer & the other end has a hook to grab the basket. No more reaching into the scary water! And an added bonus it is 24-30 inches in length so it is much easier on knees & back.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions