Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Transition between two DiamondBrite colors

jscozz
11 years ago

Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing Baha shelf in Pearl and the rest of the pool in French Gray. My PB has not done the two tone DB before. Where does it transition? I assume you can just do a cold joint at the edge of the step (which is rounded over I am guessing)... I have seen a lot of pictures of two tone pools with baha shelf on here, but I do not recall seeing any details about how and where they transitioned between the two.

Comments (11)

• golfgeek
    11 years ago

jscozz,
    Using a 2x2 tile as a break line for the two finishes is helpful, especially if the plaster contractor has not done two tones before.
    It doesn't really matter if the PB hasn't done it. The question should be has the plasterer done it?
    Good luck.

• jscozz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My PB does the diamond brite himself.

• jscozz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With tile, are you talking about using tile on the flat shelf surface edge or on the step vertical surface... ie. the shelf color going over the rounded edge of the shelf and meeting the tile an inch or so down the vertical surface of the step? That might be a good place to do the break.

If it is on the flat surface, then you see both colors on the shelf edge... although, may be that is good so you see the step edge and don't fall off.

I'd love to find some pictures.

• jasonlmarsh
    11 years ago

The tile typically goes on the top of the step so that you can easily see where the edge of the step is... so you dont fall off. I haven't really seen any 2-tone plaster jobs, but I can say that a lot of color plasters "Look" 2-tone because the color changes significantly based on how deep the water is. What looks Beige in a few inches of water might look totally different in 3 feet of water. Here's an example that illustrates what I'm trying to say. Credit to Leonardsmalls on this forum for the picture of his beautiful pool!

• styler32
    11 years ago

Hey jscozz, did you finalize your colors? We finally chose Ocean Blue and I told them to hurry up and order so I can't change my mind! Don't forget to post pics when they're done. French gray was my initial pick, then it went everywhere. Right now they're doing the spray deck texture and plaster is next, hopefully Monday! I'll post pics as well. It's been a long agonizing 6 weeks!

• jscozz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No. Have not finalized colors yet.

Ocean blue is nice... expensive! :)

I'd love to see pictures when yours is done. We have to go see a few pools in person to get a better idea of what we are going to choose.

• whitetrash
    11 years ago

Here is a pool that I admire who did the transition well...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg081602414209.html

Hope this helps.

• jasonlmarsh
    11 years ago

OH, there you go!

• Braden Taylor
    9 years ago

styler32

can you please post a picture of your ocean blue diamond brits pool? that is a color i am toying with. along with cobalt.

• Amy Castagnola
    9 years ago

In the forums search bar type this: New Pool Build-Orangevale, CA.

We did the two toned cabo shelf, blue granite & desert gold and on the day of the pebble tech install we had a good idea of the look we wanted to achive. We showed the installers the look were going for and they even let my husband take a few shots at cutting in the transitional line. Hope those photos help. I have more photos and maybe even a video I can post.

• Amy Castagnola
    9 years ago