Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool lights and equipment

Posted by shellip (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 11:18

POOL DRAWINGS
arch. plans

It looks as though we are tearing out the pool and rebuilding. Want to be sure there are no mistakes the second time around.
Does any one have an opinion on pool lights for the above pool? My contract calls for two pool lights, but the PB is suggesting only one in the deep end @ 500 watts. Is this sufficient?
Also, could you please comment on the following equipment?

*Pentair Automatic Water Filler
T-40bg Auto fil GRP
*Hayward Goldine Turbo Cell
Free Chlorine T- Cell 15 (40K gallon, 3 yr. warr.,15'cable)
*Hayward Gold line Aqua Rite Salt Chlorine Generator
AQR3a1012-1053501
*TriStar High Performance Pump Series
SP3210EE 1 HP
*Hayward 425 sq/ft Swim Clear Cartridge
Model c4030
*(1)500 watt light
*Hayward Skimmer Cover

Thank you in advance.
shellip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool lights and equipment

shellip,
I like to place the lights facing away from the patio when possible. That way you see the glow and not the light itself. It seems that 2 lights are more popular these days than one, but it's a personnal choice.

I'm not a fan of Hayward equipment, but every PB uses what he is familiar with or what's most available in his area. Some will use a certain brand based on the warranty service they receive in their part of the country.

Is your splash deck dry or wet?

Where are the steps to enter the pool?

Are you expecting a large flow of water over the dam wall into the sump? I only see one pump listed and it will only give you about 3gpm of flow per foot of wall.

Any automated controller? Depending on the method of plumbing the sump, you may want to have the flow automated.

That should be enough questions to get the wheels turning.

o

For some idea of how it'll look, you can see some of the night pix on my blog.
From The New Blue Pool

I can't quite make out the dimensions of your pool, but this diagonal is 39' long. The far diagonal is just to the right of that shallow end light at 3'6" and the glow you can see in the foreground is the deep end lights at 6'6" or maybe a bit deeper.
Unfortunately, none of the pictures on my blog are taken from the angle of the house, but I'm not thrilled with the spa light shining straight at the lanai. Although the spa is raised 6" above the pool, the entire pool is dropped 4"+ below the lanai, and the lanai is 4" below the sliding doors in the house, so the spa light glares straight at me when I peek out at the pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog - night lights

o

Golfgeek & c9pilot,

The pool is 16x36, with a 32' weir wall.

The splash deck is 12" deep, and there is a step from there into the pool.

Have no kids, so not much rowdy activity expected in the pool. Maybe once a month with grandkids (4).

Will ask about automated controller.

Thanks for the info on the lights. Never thought about what they will look like glaring into the patios!!

Thank you.
s

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here