Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini-pool build

Posted by theballs (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 11:12

Hi all,

We wanted a miniature pool, so I built one. We have a two year old little boy and are expecting another little boy in about 5 weeks. We wanted something that they can safely stand in and play in. For the past few years, we have had an Intex pool, and the depth was great for little kids (water about 24" deep), but they left something to be desired in the aesthetic department, plus Bella, our golden/lab mix, couldn't keep an eye on us, nor was she really able to get in.

So this is our 5-year pool. 9' diameter, water is about 26" deep, roughly 1000 gallons, it is a Behlen Country stock tank. I plumbed it and am running a Pentair Dynamo pump and Hayward 14" sand filter. Both are overkill, but the little filters just can't get it done, plus this is a non-flooded application so I needed a self priming pump.

$379 for the tank
$150 concrete and plumbing supplies
$150 Hayward filter
$250ish Pentair pump

I plan to add a spa heater in September/October. We aren't looking for 100 degrees, just want to get it up into the 85-90ish range for some fall and spring swimming. There is a nice little Balboa unit for $350 that is complete with digital controls.

So here it is. No diving, please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini-pool build

I LOVVVVE this! Great job, Dad! Certainly something to be said for good old fashioned ingenuity.

Happy Father's Day. You deserve some kind of award for your efforts on behalf of your boys.

And ya made me smile on this rainy, humid Michigan day. You're ten kinds of awesome. :-)

o

That's fantastic. Great job! I'm sure everybody will enjoy!

o

I am impressed.

Scott

o

Thank you all for the kind compliments. This was a fun, and relatively inexpensive project, and should serve us well until we are ready for our custom gunite pool! This forum is my favorite, I love everyone's beautiful pools.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here