Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
womanowned_gw

Demand in Houston area

womanowned
9 years ago

Just a heads up for those in the Houston area. Demand for pools has reached an unprecedented high here. Pools that used to take 3 - 4 weeks to build are creeping out sometimes weeks later. There are a variety of factors involved in this: shortage of qualified contractors for the demand, rain and intense heat. I urge patience for those with pools under construction and those waiting.

Comments (3)

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

Rain showers and heat, isn't that normal in Houston in the summer time? Has been since 2002 when I moved here. It's actually been the coolest spring and summer since we moved here, hardly been in the 90's and has even set records. Hardly rained also except for a couple of weeks ago.

Busy, I get that and the demand is high for everyone I'm sure. Not trying to argue at all but I see companies just making excuses and and attempt to mange expectations for delays when the weather and heat is nothing abnormal for this time of the year. My pool is supposed to be dug the 25th, gunite the 30th and a delay for rerouting the electrical line. Had to wait on Modern Method about 3-4 weeks as I didn't want it dug weeks before gunite being applied in case we had major rain or tropical storm.

Glad you're busy though, this area seems to be booming like never before. It's crazy but after building a new home in 2013 it's been a nightmare. Unbelievable quality control issues, major things left out of home build and in Texas the home builders aren't allowed to be sued and binding arbitration is the rule. Too any things being built and not enough quality workers is leading to major construction issues. everyone in my neighborhood is experiencing major issues with our builder. Sorry for the thread drift.

This post was edited by ktm250sx on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:18

• womanowned
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Modern Method Gunite is one of the culprits in the exceedingly long delays being experienced. I have used other gunite companies in the past that may not be as busy, but their work was not up to the standard of Modern Method. They are also just one element of the problem. Tile and coping contractors are in high demand. Many have taken on way too business...too much to handle.
    No one wants to turn away a chance for business. You may be in a different part of Houston if you are not experiencing the constant rain. Not sure who your homebuilder was, but all of the construction industry here is overwhelmed with business.

• ktm250sx
    9 years ago

I've never heard anything but good stuff about Modern Method, not one bad word ever. I keep seeing Prestige gunite trucks around The Woodlands/Magnolia area, see them every day. Of course the forecast is not good this week, my pool is supposed to be dug tomorrow, 25th, with rebar the day after. Everything was scheduled pretty close together but know with the weather there will be delays. I understand not wanting to turn away business and don't blame them, better make it while they can. Hopefully things will keep booming around here, it's good for everyone.