Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mil__98

Questions on Pool Builders - Houston Area

mil__98
17 years ago

Hello! We are thinking about getting a pool in the Houston area (Katy) and wanted to know if anyone has any experiences with anyone that we should know about. I would love to hear the positive and negative feedback. Anyone recommend a certain builder? Also, we don't want to spend A LOT of money so nothing too fancy. What was everyones price range?

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (155)

• PRO
    Best Backyard Pools
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very important in the process of selecting a pool builder is knowing their financial stability. They may have been in business a long time, but they are constantly borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. I know pool builders that owe so much money to contractors and suppliers that they have to sign up new contracts and do the excavation and Gunite to get the big draws to pay for pools they have already built. Hiring a builder that is onsite frequently and returns calls and emails promptly is critical to a successful relationship.

• drknjk
    15 years ago

I just used Gulf Coast Pools out of Richmond to build my pool they were great from start to finish and the pool not only looks great but is bueatiful you should try them. I think they service All of the Katy area as well as all of the Fort Bend county area

• wysard
    15 years ago

Does anyone have any information Pro or Con about Harbor Pools? I'm going to be building a pool in the Kingwood area.

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

We live in Katy and this winter will most likely be putting in a pool. We have seem many different pools from many different pool companies..Some we like some we dont.. but from all we have seem we know eactly what we want...We have taken all the options people have put into there pools and now know what we want Heres my question we definetly want a boulder pool but we do want the imitation boulders not the real boulders.. In your opinions which pool company does the best design with these.. The ideal pool for us(if we can afford it lol) would be a medium sized free form pool with a beach entry with a few fountains a spa(can be raised or not doesnt matter) a boulder pool area with slide and a cave with a waterfall and with lighting boulders to dive from(which means the pool at that end has to be 8-10 ft deep at least) I have seen pools with skimpy amount of boulders we want to have enough to make it look fuller. Anyway a couple of swim outs a small round table in the shallow end that an umbrella would fit.In one pool we saw a rock cooler now that was cool LOL... As far as the pool itself salt water system and pebble tech, lights and the decking i want an area that is rasied for lounge chairs. Outside of the pool would like a fire pit and a pergola Anywone want to take a guess what this will cost us.. We have no clue im guess anywhere between 50-75+++ thousand does that sound right( im also including in that some landscaping and decking but not including the fire pit or pegola) TIA

• drknjk
    15 years ago

Sashagirl, Probably closer to the 75 range for all of what you want on that. Have you called any builders yet... If not try Gulf Coast pool co. in richmond they build in your area and the can build exactly what you want. I think their number is 2812328825

• lala2874
    15 years ago

Sashagirl, I have to agree with drknjk... My guess is that 75 is on the low end of what you want, but definitely call some builders and explain in detail what you want. You will get a much better idea of what you are looking at price wise.

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

Sasha,
    The beauty of living in the greater Houston area is that we enjoy a lower than the nationwide average cost of pool construction. I'd be certain you can get that pool with a firepit and the decking. There won't be much coin left to pay for a landscapers services. Purchasing the plants and planting them yourself will save a ton of money. Landscaping is a high markup industry.

I'd encourage you to request from your pool builders giving quotes that Boulder Creations from Modern Method Gunite does the work on your waterfall/slide/cave. MMG's men do the best work in the whole city on the faux boulders.

Wysard,
    I've never heard of Harbor pools and I've been building pools out here for a very long time. My guess would be that they're a young company and are most likely a small organization.

See ya,
    Kelly

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies.. We havent contacted any builder yet but heres my list tell me what you think!! Sunset, Pulliam, Platnium, Castlerock, Wets, Supreme, Omega and Quest. I also like Laguna but i was told they are really at the top end... As far as the landscaping that is my husbands passion so yes he will be doing most of that himself. I thought it may be at the high end(75G) and it could be a bit more..I will keep MMG on my list when i speak to these builders.. One of my neighbors just gave me a heads up about my development and what they require for pool builders one being a $5000 deposit.. Not sure how many pool builders will go for that.. Truthfully not sure what thats actually for but i am assumming if they mess up common ground!!! Is it true or it makes no difference having a pool built off season meaning you get a better deal??? again TIA

• zl700
    15 years ago

The deposit for your development/HOA comes from you not the pool builder, I'm sure. It is usually part of getting the approval from the architectural committee.
    For me it was $1000 in the form of a check that they never cashed and returned it to me after their inspection that every thing was returned to normal, built as per plan and I didnt harm any common areas or property.

Ive seen Castlerock's, Wet, Pullium, Platinum and Lagunas pools all in my neighborhood. All seemed to be built well and in a timely manner.

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

I asked around to a few different neighbors who put pools in and the $5000 does not come from the homeowner it has to come from the pool builder...From what they said the this is the only development in the area that requires it. but it is for possible destruction of common ground so its basically a security deposit.. which Im sure is a factor if a pool builder builds here or not

• zl700
    15 years ago

You can be sure the pool builder then will want that 5000 from you, to be returned later or he doesnt do the job.

• cgpilot
    15 years ago

Has anyone used or have any information on Houston Pools and Spas? I've checked on BBB and they have the least number of complaints, however they are not a member. We have gotten estimates from Ocean Blue, Bay Area Pool (get their final design and quote today), Team Aqua, American Pools and Houston Pool Design. So far all of the estimates are close. Ocean Blue is out due to comments on various forums; although we really like Bay Area, their reviews are 50/50; Team Aqua has the most complaints in 3 years, but all resolved and only 1 in the last 12 months. Any comments?

• cgpilot
    15 years ago

Sorry for the double post. I have one pool bid with 6" steel on centers - all others are 8". Is 6" overkill or a sound option (Friendswood area).

• lala2874
    15 years ago

cgpilot--I don't have any info on any of the builders you asked about but I do know a little about Aquasport Pools of Friendswood. He has built several friends pools (5) and they have all been very happy with him. He is local and from what I understand, he supervises all aspects of the build. We had planned on having our pool built this summer by Aquasport but do to unforeseen circumstances on our end, our build is going to have to wait til spring. He always answered our calls or returned messages right away and he was great about designing our pool to our exact requests. If you are still taking bids, I would definitely give him a call. He does not have a website, (kind of old-school that way) but you can google the number. Hope this helps.

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

quote" the most complaints in 3 years, but all resolved and only 1 in the last 12 months. Any comments? "quote

I'd like to place a little input towards the BBB.
    It's a very great organization for both homeowners researching and also the companies being researched.

My take is that the homeowner reached the maximum frustration level and called a complaint into the BBB.
    Resolved simply means that the BBB member (builder who had the complaint levied against him) proved that he did everything within reason to satisfy the customer. It doesn't necessarily mean that the homeowner was satisfied with the resolution or determination of the matter that the BBB acted as the mediator for.

I'm not going to knock a company that has BBB complaints, but I'd feel reasonably certain that there are potential builders who've had zero complaints levied against them.

See ya,
    Kelly

• zlock
    15 years ago

I can recommend Houston Pool Design. Built our pool a couple of years ago and have had no issues. We have since sent them numerous friends for their pools. They were very straight foward and lay the pricing of the pool right out in front of you.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

League City area

• katymom
    15 years ago

DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH PLATINUM!!!!! We have had numerous problems dealing with Platinum. Contract signed in June. Now it is mid September and we are ready to take legal action. Although we are satisfied with the quality of the pool, the "schedulers" are extremely frustrating. In fact, they lie. It is shocking to me that they think they can get away with this! Let me explain. They have been dragging us out for weeks on the flagstone. Told us, on numerous occasions, the workers would be here and they never show up. No one calls me, I have to call them. Come to find out another friend is being told the same lies. I know people research pool builders on this site. I want everyone to know that this company should go out of business. To anyone reading this who is experiecing a problem with Platinum: PLEASE complain to the BBB right away. People need to quit giving these crooks their hard earned money. In this day and age, with the economy being so bad, it is criminal that a pool builder can get away with this.

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

Does anyone know a contact # for MMG (Modern Method Gunite) I cant seem to find a # or a website Thanks

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

Hey.. We have had in the last week some pool builders come out and they are preparing estimates and will be back this week. I was very please with 3 out of the 4 that came. Platnium pools was the only one who actually gave me a quote on the spot. but.......... didnt have the warm and fuzzys as soon as he walked thru the door. He was supposed to be a senior designer but quite honestly poor salesman techniques. He had promised to send us a disk overnight with all the info on the pool(he did not bring anything to leave us to review) and we never got it. i did get yesterday a rinky dink email with the plain of the pool and a list of what was included but no names of equipment etc.. We had Sunset, Castle Rock and Omega very professional people very knowledgeable people.. So we are excited about what they come up with. I did want Pulliam pools to come out as well but after 3 phone calls to them and leaving 3 messages with no one calling me back.. that didnt leave a good taste in my mouth. Anyway I have a question for someone who may know.. 2 of the pool builders offered Pentair and Paramount pool equipment and 1 offered hayward. does anyone have any opinion on which may be better. Also has anyone had any trouble with pool loans. with this economy this may be an issue! Anyway i will keep you up to date what our outcome was!

• keithintx
    15 years ago

I went with Gulf Coast Pools after several quotes and consultations. You can see some of my build progress on this forum. The header is pool build begins.

• tropical_in_houston
    15 years ago

We are gathering pool quotes in the Katy area as well. So far we have met with Anthony Sylvan, Richards and WetPools. I wasn't that impressed with the first 2 but kind of liked WetPools. Does anyone know anything about them?

Any other suggestions for reliable pool builders in Katy?

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

I have had 2 pool builders come back with price quotes..(Both Katy pool builders) Both pool builders we liked very much.. They were castlerock and omega.. They both came in within approx $1000 of one another.. Omega being less expensive and more for the dollar. We are now trying to see if we can get a loan.. our credit score is excellent but with all whats going on with the ecomony I a hoping we do not have a problem... One pool builder said 85% of his potential buyers apply for loans and get turned down!! Not promising!

• drknjk
    15 years ago

I am in Katy as well. I looked at Platinum, Blue Haven, Anthony Sylvan, and Richards. But In the end I used Gulf Coast Pools out of Richmond. They not only had the best design but they gave me more upgrades for the money.

• tropical_in_houston
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback sashagirl and drknjk.

We actually met with Omega last night and liked what we heard. Bobby did mention the same issue with financing and has me a little concerned as well. I'll have to check out Gulf Coast Pools.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else is running into issues with pool financing right now. Any tips, preferred lenders, etc.

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

We have not gotten a loan yet but we are working with our bank. My husband is self-employed so this is where the issue is. I did really like Bobby(from omegas) whole approach and he geniunely is excited about doing this project.. Prior to me checking pool builders i looked for gulf coast pools website and couldnt find it..so I moved on to the next. Hopefully we will hear something by next week so we can get this started. What community in Katy are you in Tropical???

• tropical_in_houston
    15 years ago

We are in the Green Trails Area, how about you sashagirl?

We met with Castlerock last night for the first time and also like what we heard. Not that impressed with the salesperson but Castlerock seems to have a pretty good reputation. Bobby at Omega returns tonight with our design so I am excited to see what he came up with.

• whosville
    15 years ago

Have either of you tried Custom Pool & Spa Concepts in Richmond? They have done a lot of work in Katy. I was very pleased with them when I built. The owner has a great eye for design and will work with you to get it exactly how you envision. www.custompoolinc.com

• airborne101
    15 years ago

well Kelly is a great contributor here and I think he is in the Katy area,look at Huskyridors posts his company is Atlantis Pools and he doesn't appear to hide from anyone I don't know him, just like his attitude and business practices. I do believe he is in Houston area, could be wrong. I would use him in a heartbeat but I don't live in Houston. Sorry Kelly if I got your area wrong. He looks like a straight shooter, we like that in NV. Barb

• sashagirl
    15 years ago

We are in firethorne.. We are still in the process of getting a loan or should I say possibly geting one.. No news yet...I would say you will be happy with Bobbys design.. Tell him I gave him the thumbs up!!!

• keithintx
    15 years ago

Gulf Coast has not completed their website yet. They have been a commercial builder for a long time and are expanding to resedential. You can call David Kelly. He is a great guy. Their number is 281-932-4646. They are located at 1207 FM 359 in Richmond. I am completely satisfied at this point. we are ready for tile and plaster.

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

Atlantis is located off of FM 1488 in Montgomery, but I'm pretty sure he builds all over. I know when he was building my pool, he was also working on one on Lake Houston and that's about as far from Montgomery, as Katy.

• flash407
    15 years ago

I'm currently working on a pool remodel and everyone who we've asked "Who did your pool?" gives us the same answer...."I'll tell you who NOT to use!"

We've contacted Sunshine Pools and gotten a bid from them. They seem great but a bit high. Richards Pool is coming tomorrow but from all these messages, I'm very leary (even though a neighbor has a BEAUTIFUL pool from them).

We're in the Memorial area. Any names? Going to call Kelly tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Jenny

• pool-envy
    15 years ago

We are thinking about using the material beadcreat for the interior of the pool....anywone know anything about this product?

• aggietexan
    15 years ago

We had a TERRIBLE experience with Richard's. We were doing some reno work, not a new build, but every aspect of the process was a headache. For an eye-opener, check out the comments on Angie's List if you're a member, and check out the number of complaints Richard's has with the BBB.

About a year after our bad experience with Richard's, we had a major overhaul done by The Pool Man in Tomball. The experience couldn't have been a sharper contrast to Richard's. I can recommend The Pool Man wholeheartedly.

• rickyhartman07_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have never had a pool and looking at getting a pool in December. Some of the features I want are 100ft diameter pool, 18 raised spa with 4 ft opening to pool, a waterfall/slide made out of rock, 850 ft of cool decking, pool lined with pebble 1ft flagstone for the edge of pool. What should I expect to be paying? Should I expect to see a big difference since it is offseason building time? Any recommendations in the NW area?

• notalagunafan123
    15 years ago

We hate our Laguna Pool, built for us by Laguna Pools & Designs, 1010 Greenbusch Road, Katy, TX 77494. To see more of why we hate our Laguna Pool and to see pictures of the pool Laguna Pools & Designs built for us, visit us at our website at www.WeHateOurLagunaPool.com

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

quote" What should I expect to be paying? Should I expect to see a big difference since it is offseason building time? Any recommendations in the NW area? "quote
    I doubt that you'll see off season savings. A pool, by any company, is quoted by cost plus markup. Some men pay more or less for service than others and some use a more or lesser markup.
    It's impossible to throw out a price without a plan.
    If you go to a lot of pool companies you'll be surprised at the price differences between them. On a pool like yours you could see a spread from 45000 to 75000. Sight unseen I'd guess my price in the high 50's.
    My suggestion is don't buy your pool exclusively on low price.
    Look for the attributes and portfolio of the company.
    I could recommend a company to you but it would come at the risk of being considered a spammer.

See Ya,
    Kelly

• keithintx
    15 years ago

Correct office number for Gulf Coast Pools is 281-232-8825. They are located on hwy 359 in Richmond.

• womanowned
    15 years ago

Memorial area...try IP Design by Karen Bishop. 832-928-4380. She has built a lot of pools in the Memorial, River Oaks, Heights, in-town areas. (I am not Karen Bishop, by the way. I am one of the few other Houston area pool builders owned and operated by a woman).

Be careful just comparing price...not everyone builds with the same care, specifications, etc. For instance, how far apart is the steel (rebar) installed inside your pool shell? The closer the better. I build mine 8" o.c.; others do theirs as far apart as 18". What size plumbing lines are being used? The bigger the size, the more efficiently the pool operates and extends the life of the equipment. How many pool returns? Skimmers? Lights? Are you getting pool equipment that will be energy efficient or guzzlers? There is a lot that can vary. Compare apples to apples. How good is the communication with the PB? Is the PB onsite during construction? I own a pool construction company in NW Houston and I build as far away as San Antonio and Huntsville to Katy, Houston, wherever. It depends on the job. Be sure to compare apples to apples, not just area size, perimeter, etc.

• womanowned
    15 years ago

Regarding the question about savings you might achieve building in the off season, I disagree with Kelly. I do think many pool builders will discount during the winter months. I know I have and will continue to do so. The caveat is that it has to be built and finished in the winter. You won't get any kind of a break on materials or equipment, but some of the labor costs and profit margins are a bit more flexible in the winter here in Houston. Don't expect a huge savings, but there will likely be some savings.

• brabjr
    15 years ago

You can't really go with what the BBB shows either. If a pool company does not answer a complaint or they change addresses from time to time then the complaints never get listed or logged. Houston Pools and Spas aka Houston Pools is not one I would go with if I had a second choice. They work real hard the first two weeks and once they have almost all of your money they disappear. We haven't seen them for over two months now.

• firsttimepool
    15 years ago

Last summer in June we had our first pool built. We used "The Pool Man" in Tomball, Tx. I highly recommend them. They are extremely professional and very knowledgable. We have not had any major issues with our pool and the customer service has been excellent after the sale.

• schmackster
    15 years ago

Here in The Woodlands/Spring area I have many friends and acquaintances that I talked to when I was considering a pool. Far too many of them said: 'I spent (the figures runs from $35k to 95K) on a pool and I never use it anymore.' I chose to go with what I WANTED the pool for! I got a FANTASTIC waterfall with a 20' stream that meanders from the back of my property to a Koi pond beside the deck! We had an arbor and some minor landscaping. We go out in the evening and UNWIND! It is so peaceful- no chemicals, it is ALL NATURAL! All this for one third of the cheapest of pools! I have attached a link to the company I recommend.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

So take it to the ponds group. This is the pools and spas forum. This smacks of spam which is not encouraged here.

• notalagunafan123
    14 years ago

The issues discussed in my previous post regarding Laguna Pools'construction of our swimming pool, spa and deck have been resolved.

• thaggard30_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We have had several friends used Ecoquatic Pools, we use them for service and repairs. The owner Kevin is the greatest, he stays on site for the entire build. Custom pools designed for you, my neighbor just finished his for $49,000 with travertine, glass tiles, spa and sheer descent waterfall. Like I said we love him!!!

• joshdonatelli_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Do NOT use MADDOX. Awful. Maddox does not stand behind its work product. It installed our pool with flagstone around the pool. Within a year, we have already had to replaster the pool due to faulty workmanship. In addition, the flagstone was not sealed or installed properly. We will likely have to remove all of the flagstone and reinstall new flagstone. Very costly to say the least. Maddox would not pay for one penny of it. We are considering litigation against Maddox. STAY AWAY FROM MADDOX.

• Charles_dcrogers_net
    13 years ago

Hello,

Considering a new pool in the Katy area and would like to get some idea of who I should trust for bids so that i don't waste my time.

Cheers

• jo-sunny-s_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

DO NOT USE PLATINUM POOS!!!!! In November of 2009 my husband and I signed a contract with Platinum Pools for 50,000. As soon as the contract was signed all we got was the run around. We had to call them over and over again to see when they were going to start on the pool. Finally they told us a date and when that date came nobody ever showed. When we called the women at the front would always say everyone was in a meeting and then send us to voicemail boxes. We would leave voicemail after voicemail and would never get any call back. Finally we got someone that was helping us and then a week later we were told they had to be let go. Long story short the pool was finished three months later than it should of took. It has been about a year and a half now and all of the pool tile has started to come off. We have gotten several other pool compaines to come out and look at the tile. They said that all the pool tile needs to be replaced and that it is in horrible shape. This is going to cost us 4 to 5 thousand dollars. There is no reason that pool tile should start dropping off after only 1 1/2 years. We have called Platinum pools and still we have not recived a call back (of course they are still in that meeting 1 1/2 years later). They wouldn't even let us talk to anyone about this problem. So as of now we are sending a letter to the BBB and also hiring an attorney.

• roxwilliams10_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Has anyone used Wetpools??? I'm thinking of using them for my pool in Katy..