Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejimbar

Almost Finished in NJ ! Check out the pics...

thejimbar
16 years ago

The long haul is almost over. Some final landscaping, rear fencing and cabana work to do and we are finished. Comments, questions, let me know!

Comments (40)

• padrefan
    16 years ago

Very nice! I love the cabana. You guys did a really great job.

• meowracer
    16 years ago

Wow- great! What did you use for your decking?

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Oh its beautiful. We are finishing up a remodel and I havent posted the final pics yet. It looks like you did the same travertine stone pavers we chose. Do you just love them? Is your color noche? We sealed the pavers with Stonetech Enhancer Pro. It did not make them slippery and it enhanced all the brown tone colors.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, pavers are travertine. "Stellar Noce" is the color. www.gothicstone.com. Great for around the pool. Cool, not slippery, no big sand joints like regular stone pavers. Gothicstone told me there is no need to seal them, so we aren't planning to. Thanks for the feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Project Photos

• gk5040
    16 years ago

The product we used is a sealer and enhancer in one. Its the enhancer that brought out the brown tones in the pavers...no more chalky look, it looks more like when the stones are wet. We need to actually reseal again, they were so porous they soaked it right up. The enhancer wasnt cheap, $200 a gallon. We might redo it in the winter months, since the Florida weather is too unpredictable now. The picture didnt come out too good, its is darker in person, I guess the sun reflects off of the stone and it looks white when it isnt.

• airborne101
    16 years ago

Jim and GK, both pools look great. I love your pavers, can I be nosy and ask what it cost you both? I see GK is in Florida, Jim where are you? I got a price for these in Las Vegas and it is high high high. I like the look and will have to do a heat test on them here, most things I have tried except spray deck are just tooo hot here in the desert. Thanks in advance, Barb

• gk5040
    16 years ago

We paid $4.69 sq foot for the product and our installer charged $3.00 to install. We also paid him for all extra materials, like sand, etc. It was extra to seal the deck, $200 for materials and $250 labor. One local pool company told me it was about $12 a ft installed....but they never gave us an official bid...they came out measured and never got back to us....so I dont know if that is realistic or what it would have included. We went with the one man band and he did a great job. He also did the pool tile and our waterfall. He made a lot of money off of us:)

• grivera
    16 years ago

WOW and WOW. You both have great taste!

• fauxnecian
    16 years ago

Beautiful pool & cabana! Love the aqua & green accents in the pillows. Evrything looks great!

• aquabluefl
    16 years ago

Jim, Beautiful job! I love your water color!! What finish is it??

• carolyncbc
    16 years ago

Great job-everything looks beautiful.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finish is 3M Quartz - Cayman Green/Blue blend. Trav pavers were about $14 sq ft installed. Thx for the nice comments everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Project Photos

• kajones2
    16 years ago

Very nice Jim. I love the trav pavers! The Gazebo is a very nice addition as well. Wish I could have one.

GK - Love your pool too. Very nice with the waterfall. Love the color and the pavers.

• montclairmom
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Who did the work on the pool and spa?

• poolguynj
    16 years ago

What's under the Travertine tiles? Base, sand, crushed concrete, a 3" layer of concrete? Concerns include winter heaving, drainage....

Don't wait till September to worry about it if you want a safety cover. It will take about a month to six weeks to get it made. It will cost more than you might think. It is worth the investment. I am reminded of it every time I watch the dogs race across it in the fall and winter.

You also don't want some inexperienced installer coming in with a 3/4" hammer drill. He'll break the tiles. The holes SHOULD be core drilled and the anchors set in pipes. Masonry collars, also known as beauty rings make for a nice finished look as well as protecting the tile from the installation and removal tool.

• graciesmom284
    16 years ago

I would like to know who did your paver installation? It is absolutely beautiful, you should be proud of all your selections, it's what I DREAM I could have, but don't....:(
    we have a vinyl liner pool with no spa...but i'm hoping i can spruce it up a bit with the travertine...please, tell me who did the work?

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, was I supposed to put something under the trav pavers????????Nothing under the tiles except dirt....NOT! It's 6-10" of crushed stone, at least another 4-6" of QP....Loop Loc cover will be coming, set the correct way... Caribbean Blue Pools in Kinnelon is the PB. Nothing but the best here, AS and others only could wish they could build this kind of pool....Call Caribbean and ask for Mark.
    Local GC in Montville did the cabana and pavers...email me at thejimbar@optonline.net for contact info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caribbean Pools and Spas....

• ianmd68
    16 years ago

Jim, it looks AMAZING!!!!! Another example of the hidden beauty in NJ. BTW, great idea having the step onto the underwater bench by the spa.

Enjoy!!!

Ian

• ymn1
    16 years ago

Your pool looks great! I'm thinking about the same tiles. Do you think there will be any problems in the winter with freezing/thawing and tiles becoming uneven and out of alignment?

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. They are set on top to compacted earth, 6" of compacted stone and 3" of qaurry pricess/stone dust, so I am not concerned about heaving.

• techno
    16 years ago

Jim,

You're pool is beautiful!

I've been told that travertine is typicaly not used outdoors in freazing climates because it is a pourous stone and would crack over the winter from freeze/thaw. We are in CT and would like to use this stone on a patio, but have this concern. I assume you've looked into this issue --- what are your comments? Best Regards!

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pavers are installed the same way as other dry-set pavers. They require no maintanence, no sealers, they conform to ASTM (American Standard for Testing Materials) testing for non-slip and freeze-thaw.

• techno
    16 years ago

Jim, thanks for your input.

It seems that around here in CT, no one seems to know about travertine. Whenever I ask about a natural stone for paving, they throw blue stone or granite at me. Is travertine more common in NJ for paving?

• greenotter100
    16 years ago

Is that a vinyl liner or gunite? Thanks

• soccermom97
    16 years ago

Beautiful Jimbar! I too contracted with Caribbean Blue. I've been working with Geoff who has been nothing short of amazing with his design skills and thoroughness. Mark is lucky to have him on his staff.... his work makes the local LA's efforts look lame, (and that's being kind). And the design consult and plans are free...can't wait til we are done!

• tresw
    16 years ago

You dragged up an oldie! It's gunite, per his earlier post the finish is 3M Quartz - Cayman Green/Blue blend.

• noga
    16 years ago

Jimbar, I'm in the process of building a pool but not sure if I should go with vinyl or gunite! I've got one qoute for vinyl for a lagoon shaped pool around the 35k mark including heat pump and a spa. Do you mind telling me if your pool package without the extra paving etc..is around that figure or is it more? really appreciate your reply.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All said and done, the whole project....3 times that number...

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your number sounds pretty fair for vinyl. We priced vinyl in NJ and price with a decent package was around $40-45.

• noga
    16 years ago

thanx alot for your reply. I'm going to check out Nicholas pools on Saturday. Hopefuly they are as good as people said in this forum.

• robindigo
    16 years ago

One comment- check out the white skimmer lid against the travertine deck...It doesn't take much to make that "go away" so that it doesn't detract from the deck. Integrate the stone as a 'lid' for the skimmer and the deck is seamless! A good mason can make that happen.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know, how dare me....the stone was too thick to make a lid out of it, we did give it a try. The supplier was going to look for some thinner stone for me, but I never heard back.

You know what, in the big picture, it's a pool, not a magazine shot...the lids don't bother us in the least.

• jmwoods
    16 years ago

I love the look of Gothicstone! Where did you buy it in NJ? Thanks.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gothicstone is in PA. www.gothicstone.com

• necienj
    16 years ago

gorgeous -
    i love the cabana - where is it from?
    i would love one, but afraid to bring up to my husband.
    can you give me a ball park figure?
    thanks.
    necie

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Custom Built. About $12K as you see it with Cabinets, granite Counters, Refrig, TV, electric, stamped concrete floor, roll down "hurricane" shutter, palm tree, bamboo....Contractor built it, I did most inside work myself....@ rooms, kitchenette and changing rooom.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Love the palm tree! Is that a wall decal?

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago
  • pooldazed
    16 years ago

I have enjoyed this project and what you've done since it started. We are now at the point of thinking about a poolhouse. What are the dimensions for your poolhouse? Would you change anything? Did you run water and/or sewer out to it? We are in Maryland and can't wait for spring. BTW two of my daughters jumped in the pool right before we closed it on 10/30/07 -water temp 58 degrees. No idea what it is now. Did you add a heater to your pool? Looking forward to summer.

• thejimbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. Wouldn't change a thing. It's a 13 X 13 square with a 6 foot triangle cut off one of the corners, so about 151 square feet. It's the biggest town would allow 10 feet off property line. We have cold water only; going to add a point of use water heater this summer to feed a sink in the kitchenette, and an outside shower along the right side of the cabana. Using a dry well only drain, no sewer. No bathroom, too much $$ to run the plumbing. We are putting in a bathroom by our screened porch that will accessible from outdoors. We have a Jandy heater, had to, hot tub.....