Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracking in new concrete deck

Posted by xjrules14 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 9:09

On our remodel project, we had a contractor completely remove the old and pour a new concrete deck, followed by Preferred Deck coating. The deck was poured on April 5. A few weeks ago I noticed a small crack going from the skimmer to the edge of the pool, and from the skimmer to the next expansion line (see image below). In your opinion, is this a concern or acceptable for a brand new deck? The crack was there before the application of the coating. I'm a little worried because applying the coating did cover it up initially, but it is now visible again.

2011-06-01_06-19-37_654.jpg

2011-06-01_06-19-44_574.jpg

Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracking in new concrete deck

xjrule14,
Any interuption in a deck such as a skimmer opening opening are prime targets for cracking. I'm surprised that an expansion joint was not placed from the pool to the skimmer and skimmer to nearest expansion.
It's a common error that deck contractors should be aware of.
Coatings applied to the concrete will not fill any existing cracks. Any other cracks that existed before will show up again.
Proper repair would consist of replacing that section of deck that is cracked and providing the proper expansion joints. Fortunately, most coatings match very well. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here